Top 10 movies of the 21st century?Vol.-No spoilers.

It's a rainy day here in Jersey, and with that being said I have nothing better to do then expand my movie selection and possibly enlighten yours.
Here is my top/favorite ten picks(in no particular order) followed by why it is on MY list:

Spirited Away- Kind of got me into Anime flicks, as i mention throughout some of the post, i am not a fan of fantasy type movies but this made a impact on it, pretty cool. You got to watch this in HD or something near it, the anime was so beautiful with the story which was mediocre but just enough, i believe it focused to much on creating or emphasizing some of Japanese's traditions but at the same time it tells you when everyone is telling you to move, you hold your ground and tell them-no, you move. It shows how children are not incapable of doing great things as many adults picture them to be too young, but are rather imprisoned by these ideas and traditions that are shown.

Gladiator- Damn, 10 years ago i was 9, and i still remember pretending to be Maximus with my towel as a cape and rolled up cardboard as my sword, haha. What can you say about this movie? I feel if i do say something, it would be like me trying to replicate David and Goliath; let my just say it is- an Epic movie.

City of God- I saw this 4years ago, with a couple of friends, he was hyping it up as if it was one of the best movies ever made. I thought it was just another gang shootout flick, but damn was i wrong. The story, the narration and the character complexity was well written/played, this is one of those movies that envelops you into it.

LTR(Lord of the rings) trilogy- I never liked fantasy type movies, it was interesting as a child but as i grew up it has a bittersweet after taste, you see it and then realize none of this is true or can never happen, but then this movie came along, and i for one pretended, maybe just maybe, someone will find the ring again,
laugh.gif
ohwell.gif
. If i were to choose one, i would say the Return of the King, why? Hype(I was), to finally see what happens even though you know the king is going to die.

El Prophete- This movie was a must-see for anyone that likes gangster-themed movies. It didn't seem written, or scripted, it seemed as if you were actually there and these were factual accounts of a man in prison, without the ludicrous themes that hollywood puts into prison movies. The imagery/music/cinematography was what carried the movie, the story was alright, but could of been better.

The Pursuit of Happiness- Movie teared me up alot(i don't like seeing it with other people), as i grew up watching Will Smith on nick, this made the movie feel so real/close to home, as i didn't really have a mother just my pops. So seeing him as a Dad, it was, as weird as it sounds, like seeing me in the (hopefully not)future/ and his son was like seeing myself in the past. The chemistry between Will and his son, gave this a very real feel, with the story and the music, had you crossing your fingers for him to sell one of those damn machines to get by.

The Dark Knight- Like i said before, i am not really a fan of fantasy movies because at a young age i was-told/realized that there is no superman or santa claus, etc; so, when the animated batman series was aired on fox, i really got into the story. As batman was no superhero, he was a regular person with a goal which was vengeance. This seemed so real to me as a child, who wouldn't want to kill/punish the man that took way your family at a young age. As most children my age, i was hooked on the comic series but couldn't really afford to buy them, so i would just read the old-old ones at my comic store. Once this movie came out, i really liked it, as i saw that Christian Bale really was playing that dark character that Bruce Wayne is, but i feel he could of done better. That's when Dark Knight came out and combined with Heath Ledger's acting it made a superb movie.

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon- I saw this at a young age, at the time, i couldn't really read that well, and now you are asking yourself well then why is it on the list? Well, because i knew exactly what was going on, without reading a single word and that is very hard for a director to pull of. This was one of the few foreign movies that was going to be shown all over US, and on-top of that it contains subtitles? Shooting at stars, folks, shooting at stars..but they actually pulled it off. This is one of those movies where the cinematography and music, tells you everything. You really don't have to read but be very keen on your listening and hearing skills, as every scene makes a switch from dramatic to powerful to tranquil music/theme; combined with some of the hollering in Chinese, you might ask yourself- who needs subtitles?

Grave of Fireflies- Another Anime-flick on my list
laugh.gif
. This one teared me up, it is so powerful and so eloquently written that in the end you really want to ask- what the eff man. It tells the story of these two children during WWII in Japan, how they try and survive and manage during war. It is a tear jerker, you feel so bad for these kids even if it is only a cartoon/anime, you feel the pain/anguish/desperation they transmit through the TV. The story is true, and the movie came out in 1988 but was just recently translated in English.

The Departed- Great movie, twist and all, must watch for anyone.

As you can see my list is mediocre at best, with a high amount of Anime movies and a couple of Foreign, and mostly US. Enlighten me with your list NT.

What are your top 10 movies of the 21st century? It can be foreign/independent/anime/etc, just has to be made after 2000(aka 21st century). You can add a description of the movie OR why you liked it. Please do not post negative comments about another person's picks, unless they are outlandish.

I'll try and tally all the movies, and give a list around 2011.

It's a rainy day here in Jersey, and with that being said I have nothing better to do then expand my movie selection and possibly enlighten yours.
Here is my top/favorite ten picks(in no particular order) followed by why it is on MY list:

Spirited Away- Kind of got me into Anime flicks, as i mention throughout some of the post, i am not a fan of fantasy type movies but this made a impact on it, pretty cool. You got to watch this in HD or something near it, the anime was so beautiful with the story which was mediocre but just enough, i believe it focused to much on creating or emphasizing some of Japanese's traditions but at the same time it tells you when everyone is telling you to move, you hold your ground and tell them-no, you move. It shows how children are not incapable of doing great things as many adults picture them to be too young, but are rather imprisoned by these ideas and traditions that are shown.

Gladiator- Damn, 10 years ago i was 9, and i still remember pretending to be Maximus with my towel as a cape and rolled up cardboard as my sword, haha. What can you say about this movie? I feel if i do say something, it would be like me trying to replicate David and Goliath; let my just say it is- an Epic movie.

City of God- I saw this 4years ago, with a couple of friends, he was hyping it up as if it was one of the best movies ever made. I thought it was just another gang shootout flick, but damn was i wrong. The story, the narration and the character complexity was well written/played, this is one of those movies that envelops you into it.

LTR(Lord of the rings) trilogy- I never liked fantasy type movies, it was interesting as a child but as i grew up it has a bittersweet after taste, you see it and then realize none of this is true or can never happen, but then this movie came along, and i for one pretended, maybe just maybe, someone will find the ring again,
laugh.gif
ohwell.gif
. If i were to choose one, i would say the Return of the King, why? Hype(I was), to finally see what happens even though you know the king is going to die.

El Prophete- This movie was a must-see for anyone that likes gangster-themed movies. It didn't seem written, or scripted, it seemed as if you were actually there and these were factual accounts of a man in prison, without the ludicrous themes that hollywood puts into prison movies. The imagery/music/cinematography was what carried the movie, the story was alright, but could of been better.

The Pursuit of Happiness- Movie teared me up alot(i don't like seeing it with other people), as i grew up watching Will Smith on nick, this made the movie feel so real/close to home, as i didn't really have a mother just my pops. So seeing him as a Dad, it was, as weird as it sounds, like seeing me in the (hopefully not)future/ and his son was like seeing myself in the past. The chemistry between Will and his son, gave this a very real feel, with the story and the music, had you crossing your fingers for him to sell one of those damn machines to get by.

The Dark Knight- Like i said before, i am not really a fan of fantasy movies because at a young age i was-told/realized that there is no superman or santa claus, etc; so, when the animated batman series was aired on fox, i really got into the story. As batman was no superhero, he was a regular person with a goal which was vengeance. This seemed so real to me as a child, who wouldn't want to kill/punish the man that took way your family at a young age. As most children my age, i was hooked on the comic series but couldn't really afford to buy them, so i would just read the old-old ones at my comic store. Once this movie came out, i really liked it, as i saw that Christian Bale really was playing that dark character that Bruce Wayne is, but i feel he could of done better. That's when Dark Knight came out and combined with Heath Ledger's acting it made a superb movie.

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon- I saw this at a young age, at the time, i couldn't really read that well, and now you are asking yourself well then why is it on the list? Well, because i knew exactly what was going on, without reading a single word and that is very hard for a director to pull of. This was one of the few foreign movies that was going to be shown all over US, and on-top of that it contains subtitles? Shooting at stars, folks, shooting at stars..but they actually pulled it off. This is one of those movies where the cinematography and music, tells you everything. You really don't have to read but be very keen on your listening and hearing skills, as every scene makes a switch from dramatic to powerful to tranquil music/theme; combined with some of the hollering in Chinese, you might ask yourself- who needs subtitles?

Grave of Fireflies- Another Anime-flick on my list
laugh.gif
. This one teared me up, it is so powerful and so eloquently written that in the end you really want to ask- what the eff man. It tells the story of these two children during WWII in Japan, how they try and survive and manage during war. It is a tear jerker, you feel so bad for these kids even if it is only a cartoon/anime, you feel the pain/anguish/desperation they transmit through the TV. The story is true, and the movie came out in 1988 but was just recently translated in English.

The Departed- Great movie, twist and all, must watch for anyone.

As you can see my list is mediocre at best, with a high amount of Anime movies and a couple of Foreign, and mostly US. Enlighten me with your list NT.

What are your top 10 movies of the 21st century? It can be foreign/independent/anime/etc, just has to be made after 2000(aka 21st century). You can add a description of the movie OR why you liked it. Please do not post negative comments about another person's picks, unless they are outlandish.

I'll try and tally all the movies, and give a list around 2011.

There will be Blood
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
The Aviator
Lost in Translation
Gangs of New York
No Country for Old Men
Inception (despite the LOADS of hype)

more I haven't put but my thoughts have ran dry

There will be Blood
The Aviator
Lost in Translation
Gangs of New York
No Country for Old Men
Inception (despite the LOADS of hype)

more I haven't put but my thoughts have ran dry

My personal favorites

Anchorman (Best comedy of the 21st century)
Kill Bill vol. 1
Superbad
The 40 Year Old Virgin
Half Nelson
Snatch
Garden State
There Will Be Blood
The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou/The Royal Tenenbaums (hard to pick b/w the two)
No Country for Old Men
Requiem for a Dream
Sin City
Old Boy
City of God
The Aviator (Scorsese's best film of the 21st century imo)
The Bourne Supremacy
Shaun of the Dead
Memento (Nolan's best…better than TDK and Inception imo)
Donnie Darko
Paprika

My personal favorites

Anchorman (Best comedy of the 21st century)
Kill Bill vol. 1
Superbad
The 40 Year Old Virgin
Half Nelson
Snatch
Garden State
There Will Be Blood
The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou/The Royal Tenenbaums (hard to pick b/w the two)
No Country for Old Men
Requiem for a Dream
Sin City
Old Boy
City of God
The Aviator (Scorsese's best film of the 21st century imo)
The Bourne Supremacy
Shaun of the Dead
Memento (Nolan's best…better than TDK and Inception imo)
Donnie Darko
Paprika

Dark Knight
Benjamin Button 

City Of God

pan's labyrinth

gangs of new york

memento

amores perros

blow

the pianist

and... Fantastic Mr Fox
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Dark Knight
Benjamin Button 

City Of God

pan's labyrinth

gangs of new york

memento

amores perros

blow

the pianist

and... Fantastic Mr Fox
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

This is going to turn into a "post some of your dvd collection" real soon, I can already tell, with that said:

-Minority Report
-Training Day

there are some more, but I just can't think of them now.

This is going to turn into a "post some of your dvd collection" real soon, I can already tell, with that said:

-Minority Report
-Training Day

there are some more, but I just can't think of them now.

My list:
-The Prestige
-Man on Fire
-Training Day
-The Departed
-Inglorious Basterds
-Black Hawk Down
-Catch Me If You Can
-The Blind Side
-Oldboy
-Martyrs (French flick, saw it recommended in another thread. Flick is
pimp.gif