Top 5 Violent Cities of 2012 vol. Home, Sweet Home

dang, didnt know.
eek.gif

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

Originally Posted by ItsGettinHot

Originally Posted by SFC415

Oakland isn't really as bad as people make it out to be. Of course if you hang out in East Oakland you'll be putting yourself at risk, but if you're in the Oakland Hills it's one of the nicest areas in California.
Ain't nothin' but houses in the hills tho.
SFC415's statement should read, if you're hanging out in East or West Oakland in the wee hours of the morning, you'll be putting yourself at risk.
True. 90% of the time it's not random people getting shot up, and most people who get robbed there usually put themselves into that situation by being in certain areas at the wrong hours. Of course there are some innocent people who get caught in crossfire or get robbed in broad daylight, but that happens in every city. I'd rather kick it in West Oakland than the Tenderloin or Hunter's Point in SF, that's for sure 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by heatpinoyboy

Originally Posted by wcghost

4. Oakland, Calif.
Violent crimes per 1,000 16.8
Population 395,317
2011 murders 104
Median income $49,190
Unemployment rate 15.6%

Oakland historically has been among the most crime-ridden cities in California, with a violent crime rate this year of 16.8 per 1,000 people. There were 14 more murders in 2011 than in 2010, causing Oakland to maintain the ninth-highest murder rate in the country two years in a row. Oakland is the number one city for both robbery and motor vehicle theft rates in the country. Oakland city councilmember Desley Brooks, who wants to allocate $11 million in revenue to the police force, acknowledges the increased violent crime, saying, “we cannot ignore that we have had an increase in violent crime, and so we cannot continue to do the same thing the same way and expect that it’s going to be a different result.

30t6p3b.gif
 moving here at the end of this month. 
Where exactly in Oakland? I'm surprised that Oakland was this high...I've known of the city's notorious crime rate but I've personally never had any problems ever since I was young.
South Oakland aka Alamurda! j/k
Fruitvale area. My pops bought a dirt cheap, former grow-house lot (5000 sqft.) for $108K 
laugh.gif

NICE... check for mold and other crazy things that come from former grow spots... Fruitville's great for tacos.. Its not the greatest place now but I think within the next 5 to 10 years all the hipsters will try to move in and you guys could come up!

Oakland for the most part is awesome.. It has culture... The bar scene in downtown is getting pretty good.. right by frisco and berkeley which are also awesome... Rich and super hood spots... gotta love the diversity

DEAD at Fruitvale is good for Tacos.
roll.gif
You definitely right though.

And I can easily see the hipsters migrating east and settling in Fruitvale once they're done taking over the West and Downtown/Uptown.

laugh.gif
IDK why i'm laughing at the taco comment because i've only been to oakland once in my life and have no idea where it is.

108K though? damn i need to get a house in oakland with a few of my boys.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by MPLSdunk

laugh.gif
IDK why i'm laughing at the taco comment because i've only been to oakland once in my life and have no idea where it is.

108K though? damn i need to get a house in oakland with a few of my boys.
laugh.gif

Directly east of sf

Originally Posted by SFC415

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

Originally Posted by ItsGettinHot

Ain't nothin' but houses in the hills tho.
SFC415's statement should read, if you're hanging out in East or West Oakland in the wee hours of the morning, you'll be putting yourself at risk.
True. 90% of the time it's not random people getting shot up, and most people who get robbed there usually put themselves into that situation by being in certain areas at the wrong hours. Of course there are some innocent people who get caught in crossfire or get robbed in broad daylight, but that happens in every city. I'd rather kick it in West Oakland than the Tenderloin or Hunter's Point in SF, that's for sure 
laugh.gif
Man... I grew up in the town.  I hate that place. 
laugh.gif

It's a pretty decent amount of street diplomacy out there, but it still ain't nothin' nice.

Sure if you carry yourself properly, you prolly be iight.  But just the fact that you gotta make sure you got a solid demeanor to protect your safety is bad.

Besides, Oakland got a ridiculous crime rate overall.  Non violent too.  All sorts of hungry animals out there. 
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by Dalek

Where exactly in Oakland? I'm surprised that Oakland was this high...I've known of the city's notorious crime rate but I've personally never had any problems ever since I was young.
South Oakland aka Alamurda! j/k
Fruitvale area. My pops bought a dirt cheap, former grow-house lot (5000 sqft.) for $108K 
laugh.gif

NICE... check for mold and other crazy things that come from former grow spots... Fruitville's great for tacos.. Its not the greatest place now but I think within the next 5 to 10 years all the hipsters will try to move in and you guys could come up!

Oakland for the most part is awesome.. It has culture... The bar scene in downtown is getting pretty good.. right by frisco and berkeley which are also awesome... Rich and super hood spots... gotta love the diversity
Thanks, yeah me & my pops already tore down the previous foundations and built a new house & 17 koi fish ponds on our lot. Put our blood, sweat and tears into the place, but its finally looking proper. i just got a new job in the city, so the 2 block walk to BART is also appreciated. 
pimp.gif

And you already know.......late night Taco Truck runs to El Novillo (the one in front of Taqueria Guadalajara) & Tacos Sinoloa are staples! 
laugh.gif

I'm literally two blocks away, right behind the Home Depot/24hr:

After reading, shouldn't this be for 2011 not this year? I mean this year is barely half done and yet there's a top 5? Plus all the data is based on last year.

No offense but I was expecting the Chi to be on the list, I know they top 10.

Those Top _____ lists are always hit or miss but more msis because every city/state doesn't record their data the same way and some don't even keep starts of certain things while others do or maybe they classify them differently. Like everyone else said, no Chicago already makes the list sketchy since their one random weekend in the summer murder rate #@@@ on many cities yearly.

DAMN TL

That is a real good spot. Even though it's in the East, Fruitvale really ain't that bad. Although my friend's store at Fruitvale Station did get robbed at gunpoint last month.

Close to BART and Tacos Sinaloa and the freeway
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by bbrroowwnnssuuggaarr

Probably going to move to Oakland in a year or 2. Im about 25min from there now.  Doesnt seem that dangerous to me. Too me North Richmond seems way more grimey.
I work on the border of Richmond and San Pablo and Richmond is one of the grimiest places I've been to. I'm much more comfortable in Oakland than Richmond.

Sad to say I saw one of those murders go off in Oakland. I was visiting family over there and stayed at my cousins place. We went out for drinks and when we came home around 2am police cars and number cards scattered all over right outside my cousins condo. I was born there but im never coming back.

Originally Posted by 59FIFTY

Just be happy you don't live in Juarez!!

Been there a couple years ago...you couldn't pay me to go back. Same with Tijuana 
sick.gif

But as stated before, all these cities have one thing in common. The economies are terrible. My family is from a city called Ad Douaim in Sudan and it has the highest murder rate in all of Sudan. Why? Because it is also among the poorest regions in the country.

On another note I never understood peoples pride in their cities crime rate. I would be straight ashamed of it as my pops is about his hometown in Sudan 
frown.gif

Originally Posted by Cobra Kai

3. St. Louis, Mo.
Violent crimes per 1,000: 18.6
Population: 320,454
2011 murders: 113
Median income: $32,688
Unemployment rate: 11.7%

we right here. we not going anywhere.
AND we already got two dead cops.

Multiple shootings downtown since it's gotten hot. 

It's about to be a hot summer.

30t6p3b.gif

frown.gif

tired.gif

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

DAMN TL

That is a real good spot. Even though it's in the East, Fruitvale really ain't that bad. Although my friend's store at Fruitvale Station did get robbed at gunpoint last month.

Close to BART and Tacos Sinaloa and the freeway
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by bbrroowwnnssuuggaarr

Probably going to move to Oakland in a year or 2. Im about 25min from there now.  Doesnt seem that dangerous to me. Too me North Richmond seems way more grimey.
I work on the border of Richmond and San Pablo and Richmond is one of the grimiest places I've been to. I'm much more comfortable in Oakland than Richmond.

opposite for me, but maybe because I stay in richmond...west oakland looks the grimiest because all the knocks roaming around.

Originally Posted by lilpro4u

Chicago isn't on the list, because there is damn near 10mil 3 million people in the city.. Use your brain, folks. Detroit, though.. Smfhand Flint everyone knows everyone there

This.  These lists and any other such comparisons between cities are based on violent crime rates, which helps control for population differences, not simply numbers of incidents...

Back
Top Bottom