Toyota won.

Originally Posted by damnitzdom

[h1]Toyota sales rise 40 pct in March on incentives[/h1]
NEW YORK

A top Toyota executive says U.S. sales surged 40 percent in March, powered by some of its deepest discounts ever in the wake of millions of recalls.

Toyota Group Vice President Bob Carter says some of the incentives will continue past March, including an offer of free maintenance for return Toyota customers.

Carter made the remarks during an interview at the New York International Auto Show. The Japanese automaker is coping with recalls of more than 8 million vehicles worldwide -- about 6 million in the U.S. -- by offering incentives such as 0-percent financing on recalled models, low-priced leasing and free maintenance.

Carter says Toyota dealers have so far repaired about 2 million recalled vehicles in the U.S.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

No way?!  A monkey could have told me that.

How quick Americans forget
alien.gif

Originally Posted by TacC4

Originally Posted by joesarge

I guess we'll risk anything for a deal, lol.

What's the risk? You taking a chance that you're not smart enough to put a car in neutral? Wooooooooah, don't go too far out on that limb. 
eyes.gif
  In the immortal words of Tom Sizemore, "Its not a spaceship *+@*%%!, drive."
How about company integrity?  OTHER safety concerns?  Reputation? 

Liquor Poker wrote:
Originally Posted by Juice2352

40% from when though? LAST MARCH? Or last month? Makes a difference.
These figures almost always mean from last year's sales in March. Business are cyclical and are analyzed from a year to year basis.

That doesn't mean 40% isn't phenomenal though. That's a huge percentage jump no matter what industry you're in.

^ Most likely right about it being from last March, which is incredible.  If it's from last month, it is an impressive jump...but not if their sales were down "xx%" since the news broke.  It just means they're drifting back to the norm.  Regardless...how short-term of memory consumers have
ohwell.gif

Good for Toyota.

I don't believe the worst is over. It's possible that there will be more recalls (that's a given)and I'm pretty sure another wave of controversy and hoaxes will emerge from the Media.

Originally Posted by Juice2352

What's the risk? You taking a chance that you're not smart enough to put a car in neutral? Wooooooooah, don't go too far out on that limb. 
eyes.gif
How about company integrity?  OTHER safety concerns?  Reputation? 
Huh? So I'm risking TOYOTA'S integrity by purchasing a car from them? Seems like, if anything, I'd be risking MY integrity by buying a Toyota. What other safety concerns should I have? Every car, from every manufacturer can kill its occupants and other drivers. You're driving 3000+ lbs of metal and plastic @70mph. Please don't tell me you think that driving a car is inherently safe, and has only been made dangerous by Toyota. If you have other safety concerns then you're going to have to bike/bus/train/walk your way around town or build your own car because every major manufacturer has had a recall at some point in its history.

While that improvement would be significant, last March ranked as one of the weakest months ever for automakers.
Sales in late 2008-early 2009 were abysmal due to the financial crisis so most carmakers should be seeing an uptick in sales

Originally Posted by Diego

Originally Posted by mondaynightraw

I'll take the risk in a toyota

over driving a charger
grin.gif

Somewhere out there Ninjahood is wishing death on you.
monday rather drive a NYC taxi cab then a bonified dope car....pssh...good luck wit those camrys
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by CrunkJuicedUp

Camry>charger
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

v8 > v6/4 banger

rear wheel drive >>>>>>>>>>>front wheel drive

top trim charger >>>>>>>>>top trim Camry

eyes.gif
Just bought an 09 corolla S.  Its cheaper then a ford focus....Il take my chances with the acceleration problem.  Been saying it for a while now.  Why can't people just slide the car into neutral and dis-engage the transmission.  Is it really that hard.

and i don't think the worst is over i think they will announce it is electrical and i still don't care.  Toyotas aren't bad cars.  People saying what about company reputation.  Ford and GM have treated customers like this forever.  Thinking the public is stupid and selling you sub-par cars for high prices.  So now toyota is treating americans just like ford and GM....but they still make better cars.

Originally Posted by ninjahood

Camry>charger
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

v8 > v6/4 banger

i'd stick with the camry. i don't see many v8 chargers around here, and i've seen more chargers on the side of the rode than camrys, so reliability >...

Nobody rides in my boy's Camry anymore...
roll.gif

When he's like "Let's go in my car"

We be like...

jkahj8.jpg

Reading this thread shows that NT is full of 12 and 13 year olds who don't know anything. I'd be interested to see what kind of profit Toyota made during this "40% increase" in sales. Toyota still hasn't settled the lawsuits they will certainly face. Those lawsuits will cost the company a crap load of money. In my opinion, someone has to be crazy to buy a recalled toyota right now. That just tells me that people bought the floor mat nonsense or metal piece to accelerator garbage.

Then u have people saying to put the car in neutral. Guess what. Unless u are in the situation where your Toyota is speeding, u don't know what works. Try shifting into neutral when it won't shift because the problem is electric... then what.

My problem with Toyota is that their own documents showed that they were aware of the problem. Insurance companies contacted Toyota after an increase in accidents where a Toyota driver claimed the accelerator stuck, yet Toyota did nothing. They actually tried to hide it.

Originally Posted by Qpitfighter

Reading this thread shows that NT is full of 12 and 13 year olds who don't know anything. I'd be interested to see what kind of profit Toyota made during this "40% increase" in sales. Toyota still hasn't settled the lawsuits they will certainly face. Those lawsuits will cost the company a crap load of money. In my opinion, someone has to be crazy to buy a recalled toyota right now. That just tells me that people bought the floor mat nonsense or metal piece to accelerator garbage.

Then u have people saying to put the car in neutral. Guess what. Unless u are in the situation where your Toyota is speeding, u don't know what works. Try shifting into neutral when it won't shift because the problem is electric... then what.

My problem with Toyota is that their own documents showed that they were aware of the problem. Insurance companies contacted Toyota after an increase in accidents where a Toyota driver claimed the accelerator stuck, yet Toyota did nothing. They actually tried to hide it.
Just for the record, I have floored my Prius, and put it into neutral, it works just fine.  Even with the gas pedal fully depressed, the engine doesn't rev once I have put into neutral.  I have had zero problems in 2.5 years of ownership, now approaching 55,000 miles.  
All it takes is common sense.  I used to drive an old Chevy truck.  One day, after dropping my friend off at his house, my gas pedal stuck.  Usually, it was from the floor mat, but this time it wasn't.  I pulled the floor mat out, but it was still stuck.  I lifted the pedal, but it was still WOT.  You know what I did?  I put it into neutral.  My truck sat there at full rev in neutral, with people staring at me.  It's no shock that the average American is a dumb !!% when it comes to crisis evasion in a vehicle.  

Originally Posted by Liquor Poker

Camry>charger
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

v8 > v6/4 banger

People always quick to get defensive when people say A>B.

Maybe ya'll have different needs? No need to defend to the death your point of view.

Besides, a person looking at a Camry isn't likely to be looking at a Charger as an alternative. They're in different classes and serve different purposes.
Word

one is meant to last 10 years

the other is meant to last 10 months

Camry>charger
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

v8 > v6/4 banger

People always quick to get defensive when people say A>B.

Maybe ya'll have different needs? No need to defend to the death your point of view.

Besides, a person looking at a Camry isn't likely to be looking at a Charger as an alternative. They're in different classes and serve different purposes.

Originally Posted by eaalto

Originally Posted by Qpitfighter

Just for the record, I have floored my Prius, and put it into neutral, it works just fine.  Even with the gas pedal fully depressed, the engine doesn't rev once I have put into neutral.  I have had zero problems in 2.5 years of ownership, now approaching 55,000 miles.  
All it takes is common sense.  I used to drive an old Chevy truck.  One day, after dropping my friend off at his house, my gas pedal stuck.  Usually, it was from the floor mat, but this time it wasn't.  I pulled the floor mat out, but it was still stuck.  I lifted the pedal, but it was still WOT.  You know what I did?  I put it into neutral.  My truck sat there at full rev in neutral, with people staring at me.  It's no shock that the average American is a dumb !!% when it comes to crisis evasion in a vehicle.  
I hate when people come in here and say everyone is an idiot or a 12 year old.  I am buying a new corolla and i know the risks.

"I've heard that with some new cars, the shift lever is not mechanically linked to the transmission. It's electronic. If the engine is at wide open throttle, over a certain RPM, the computer will NOT allow you to shift into neutral. You could put the shift lever to neutral, but the transmission will still be in gear."

So if that doesn't work you can turn the key off.  May turn off your power steering (iv had it happen in old cars where power steering cuts out and you actually have to put two hands on the wheel and physically turn your car) but there are ways to avoid dying.  You can also pump the emergency brake until you can get the car slow enough to where you feel safe to turn it off.  Some people are confident enough with their driving skills to buy what they think is a superior car

Back
Top Bottom