Tuned air?

Can anyone list the sneakers the had tuned air in them? I tried to google them but came up with little to no good results

Any info would be appreciated

nike-air-max-plus-page.jpg
First Nike running shoe to ever have the Tuned Air.

Tuned Air is now used on the Air Max Plus.
I believe it was different parts of the Air soles having different PSI to accommodate for places that needed more/less pressurized air units.

Originally Posted by Koopa2410

OG Air Garnett 3.

IIRC, there were only three other hoops shoes made with Tuned Air.

Air Force Max Plus
Air Tuned Force
Air Big Flyer

Originally Posted by moneyallthetime

I believe it was different parts of the Air soles having different PSI to accommodate for places that needed more/less pressurized air units.

Nope, Tuned Air had different density columns in the Air bag, with higher density on the inside to prevent (or at least help) with support and foot strike, andlower density on the outside columns to promote cushioning and transition. The bags were also pressured differently like today's Air Max shoes. If you canget a good picture, some columns were red, and some were yellow, signifying the difference.

The first pair was the blue CW of the runners pictured above. I found that Tn Air was harder & not as bouncy as standard Air sol units. Very durable thoughas I recall.

Originally Posted by duke4005

Nope, Tuned Air had different density columns in the Air bag, with higher density on the inside to prevent (or at least help) with support and foot strike, and lower density on the outside columns to promote cushioning and transition. The bags were also pressured differently like today's Air Max shoes. If you can get a good picture, some columns were red, and some were yellow, signifying the difference.

QFT.

Originally Posted by Animal Thug1539

man ive been looking for the shoe that came right after this one i think, it was lower cut and said tuned air on the side, cant find it anywhere.my pair was all black and had a little red and silver? any clue?

Originally Posted by Sole Investigator

Originally Posted by duke4005

Nope, Tuned Air had different density columns in the Air bag, with higher density on the inside to prevent (or at least help) with support and foot strike, and lower density on the outside columns to promote cushioning and transition. The bags were also pressured differently like today's Air Max shoes. If you can get a good picture, some columns were red, and some were yellow, signifying the difference.

QFT.

Sorry... close... but not quite. The Tuned Air concept involved using rubbery dome-like shapes inserted as cushioning elements, which werethen incorporated into the airbags. Not foam, and nothing with different densities.

The very first generation of Tuned Air (the Air Max Plus TN, already pictured in this thread) was really just easing a half-step in this direction... it wasfundamentally an existing multi-pressure airbag with the Tuned inserts on the medial side only. These were done in a ridiculous number of colors at first, butthe yellow/red combo became the best-known. So that's what you're seeing inside the medial window: the rubbery Tuned dome shapes, not foam. And thecolors are just cosmetic. It's kind of funny that this earliest, weeniest Tuned product is the one that's best remembered...
indifferent.gif
It was a great, compelling shoe on its own, which (I think) is why itwas loved so much.

It was the subsequent Tuned Air products that really began to dial in the concept, as the designers began to use large, single low-pressure airbags, withdomes of different diameter and thickness intelligently distributed throughout... for example, big/thin domes in the middle created soft cushioning for theheel, smaller/thicker domes on the medial side to control motion and pronation, and medium combinations in the crash area to help cushion and guide the footstrike. Again, what you're seeing inside is the rubbery inserts, and while you can see differences in size, you can't see the different thicknesses.

One of the difficult things about Tuned Air is that--externally--it honestly doesn't look all that different from other visible Airsoletechnologies, where the internal voids are colored and filled up with foam. In either case, it just looks like colored columns inside... the fact that eventhe sneakerheads here don't know exactly what it's about just proves the point.

So it was a good product, but difficult and expensive to make, and since even the most knowledgeable people aren't certain what it's about... I'mnot surprised it faded away in favor of other things.

Jfeezy, good to hear an exact definition/description of Tuned Air. It's always appreciated when you come in drop the knowledge that you do.

Originally Posted by Animal Thug1539

first and best...god i love my rejuvenation packs...these things were durable, unless you wore them for all sports like i did. then the mesh wouldgive to the lateral movement.

tuned air is fantastic especially if its being used in the new air max 2009 model....besides the air max 95, not sure there is a better air max model than 09

Originally Posted by AJ27526

nike-tuned-10.jpg

what ever happened to these strange things?
They were copped!
wink.gif

tnx6.png

tnx5.png

tnx4.png

tnx2.png

tnx3.png

tnx1.png

They were a very limited, europe-only release (the X stands for "10th anniversary"), and went sold out in the matter of a few days (6 months ago orso).

My fiancee managed to find a deadstock pair in a footlocker warehouse and got em for me as Xmas present.
embarassed.gif

I think she paid Paid around 210 Euro for them.

Btw, they're the most comfortable shoe I've ever worn, even more comfy than the 2k6 Air Max 360.

Originally Posted by AJ27526

nike-tuned-10.jpg

what ever happened to these strange things?

almost copped these last week off eBay. I need air units up front or I woulda copped. I like diff type kicks like this. Plus I don't need anymore tuned airmax's right now. Got way to many.

from my personal collection

nike seriously messed up on the retros for these. no tuned air. it makes the difference
alien.gif

I JUST bought a pair of the OG classic HYPERBLUEs on eBay last night.... CANT FLIPPIN WAIT.... Ill post pics once they come in

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]tuned air FTW, brings back so many memories of earlier college days anyhow pics of some of my tuned air heat as well as some reviews are here (since sold this stuff off) [/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]

[/font]

[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]http://defynewyork.wordpr...lacksilverred-tuned-air/[/font]

[/font]

[/font]

[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]http://defynewyork.wordpr...to-1998-original-review/[/font]

[/font]

[/font]

[/font]

[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]http://defynewyork.wordpr...0-release-bluegreywhite/[/font]

[/font]

[/font]

[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]http://defynewyork.wordpr...the-air-max-plus-jungle/[/font]

[/font]

[/font]

[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]http://defynewyork.wordpr...e-1998-tuned-air-review/[/font]

[/font]

[/font]

[/font]

[/font]

[/font]

[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] If anyone is looking for OG air max plus's a friend of mine lives near a consignment shop in Japan they have tons of OG stuff, I can put you in contact with him.
pimp.gif
[/font]

Back
Top Bottom