twitch bans 2019 Streamer of the Year Dr. Disrespect

You seem to not understand that being a Twitch Gamer is a niche world.

It doesn't matter how many followers he has.

It doesn't matter how much money he makes.

TO say he is "Pretty Big Mainstream" , I just can't see how you can make that claim when he is of THAT world.

But perspective.
The longer we stay inside the bigger ESports becomes

Top streamers playing with NBA dudes
Gonna get bigger

Twitch is definitely not niche, Twitch and Tik Tok are the biggest things to Gen Z and Gen Alpha and not even niche to millenials

TO say he is "Pretty Big Mainstream" , I just can't see how you can make that claim when he is of THAT world.

But perspective.

ITT: I don’t know him so he’s not popular

dude is one of the most popular faces in the gaming community. :lol:

But perspective.

You are just jealous that he is friends with one of your personal heroes

How is he nobody when he makes 7 figures off twitch streaming, Ninja made it as the only E-Sport athlete in top 50 most marketable athletes across ALL sports so he's in another stratosphere but Dr. Disrespect stands out in the E Sports world as well since he's 6'8 first of all, he's done events with Klay Thompson and he's taller than Klay
Geez. Take a break from all that slurpage.

ITT: I don’t know him so he’s not popular

dude is one of the most popular faces in the gaming community. :lol:
right...thats our point. he's big in the gaming community and just the gaming community. he's nobody to anybody outside of the gaming community. So he's not mainstream.

Twitch is definitely not niche, Twitch and Tik Tok are the biggest things to Gen Z and Gen Alpha and not even niche to millenials
I was calling E-Sports niche not the websote itself.

Twitch is a platform, of course I am not referring to that as being anything niche.

Being Twitch GAMER is a niche profession.

But you still never answer my question. You said he is"Pretty big mainstream." What does that mean to you?

Yea, E-Sports is niche when a League of Legends tournament last year had just as many viewers as the Super Bowl.

Again, the attendance or viewership doesn't make it NOT niche when there are millions of people that don't know it is even taking place.

Those that know those events exist tend to be of that community.

Question would you consider pro wrestling a niche form of entertainment?

Last edited:
Again, the attendance or viewership doesn't make it NOT niche when there are millions of people that don't know it is even taking place.

Shut your trolling *** up.

:lol: @ you editing because you realized how ridiculous you sounded.

Good girl.

Shut your trolling *** up.
tenor.gif

esports gaming is niche as hell. It has 1 star that happened to escape and make it on the brodstage of awareness and that Ninja. And he only did it thorugh playing, and connecting with celebs that dug his vibe. Now he has an adidas contract. E pluribus Unum.

Is it even considered a sport by people outside of the industry? Like an actual sport and not just competitive vido game leagues.

It's very niche though. Its not beeding into other industries. Not gaining new fans that werent fans before of gamers.

Its dope as hell they can make so much bread playing video games with their friends at high levels. Sounds like a win to me.

I dunno if he's mainstream if people who aren't into gaming or internet celebrities know who he is.

Belle Delphine won a PH award so her > him
Honestly, the test shouldn't even be if Niketalkers know who these folks are because by proximity we are a few steps away from that world.

Most of us play games to a degree, use Twitch, and understand aspects of that world.

Ask your parents if they know who these people are. Ask a neighbor that has never owned a gaming system if they know who these people are. I am pretty sure the answer would be NO. Ask them if they know ANYONE from that world.

That would be a better test to see if TRUE outsiders know who these folks are.

right...thats our point. he's big in the gaming community and just the gaming community. he's nobody to anybody outside of the gaming community. So he's not mainstream.
the gaming COMMUNITY is mainstream. just cause you dont play video games it doesn't mean its not mainstream.

the last of us 2 just sold 4 million copies and yall really gonna tell me thats not mainstream? cmon son.

just cause yall old dudes DONT play video games doesn't mean everyone else isn't. god damn.

Last edited:
I would say that videogames and gaming are mainstream, not the community itself. Mario, Sonic, Nintendo, pokemon are well known.

I think people tend to overestimate internet celebrity and think it's the same as being a famous singer, actor, athlete. Yeah people online can have millions of followers but the majority of people in real life wouldn't know who they are or what their name is. I think pewdiepie is the most popular guy on youtube but ask people in their 30s who he is and most would draw a blank. A lot of ig models got millions of followers but their names aren't recognizable to most.

Y’all Gotta Stop Correlating Popularity To What/Who You Know.
Well when it has to do with claiming something is mainstream then it is relevant. I would think a lot of nt is aware of pop culture stuff and general info.

Well when it has to do with claiming something is mainstream then it is relevant. I would think a lot of nt is aware of pop culture stuff and general info.

Completely Separate Discussion But In The Age Of The Internet I Think All Of It Is Subjective.

There’s Too Much Content And Too Many Creators To Umbrella It All Together.

At This Point Its IYKYK. It’s Like People Cant Accept There Are Popular/Trendy Things They Don’t Know About lol

Completely Separate Discussion But In The Age Of The Internet I Think All Of It Is Subjective.

There’s Too Much Content And Too Many Creators To Umbrella It All Together.

At This Point Its IYKYK. It’s Like People Cant Accept There Are Popular/Trendy Things They Don’t Know About lol
I don't think people care if they know it or not. People might not follow sports but they've heard the names Jordan, Kobe, jeter, brady. I thought saying something was mainstream sorta meant it was well known by the average person unless the definition has changed.

Last edited:
Honestly these streamers are not mainstream. The average person wouldn't know who they are. If you bring up Ninja they might ask you if he is a black belt.

I've heard of these guys because of my son. I couldn't pick any of them out of a lineup to save my life :lol:

And what was the driving force of Twitch becoming this huge platform? Answer is easily E Sports. E Sports was a niche back in the 2000s, thats why there was not 1 single E Sports athlete that could earn $1 mil a year back then the economy just wasn't there but in the 2010s the economy became robust enough to have 6-8 of them that are breaking 8 figures a year along with many more that earn 7 figures a year. E Sports is mainstream when you have top soccer player like Griezmann doing fortnite celebrations after he scores his goals and boxer like Teofimo Lopez doing fortnite dance after his KO wins in boxing ring. Look at the prize pools of the big League of Legends tournaments, they're on par or larger than the Tennis Grand Slam Major prize pools. This is all coming from someone like me who's born in 1984 and not a gamer at all and haven't been for over a decade. E Sports has grown to levels that I never even imagined back in the 90s or even 2000s

Pro Wrestling has been mainstream btw and has been for awhile, only think it was maybe niche during the territories era.

I was calling E-Sports niche not the websote itself.

Twitch is a platform, of course I am not referring to that as being anything niche.

Being Twitch GAMER is a niche profession.

But you still never answer my question. You said he is"Pretty big mainstream." What does that mean to you?

Also to be fair, gambling has heavily contributed to the rise of E-Sports. Especially during the pandemic. Real sports were shutdown and gamblers turned to E-sports.

Last edited:
esports gaming is niche as hell. It has 1 star that happened to escape and make it on the brodstage of awareness and that Ninja. And he only did it thorugh playing, and connecting with celebs that dug his vibe. Now he has an adidas contract. E pluribus Unum.

Is it even considered a sport by people outside of the industry? Like an actual sport and not just competitive vido game leagues.

It's very niche though. Its not beeding into other industries. Not gaining new fans that werent fans before of gamers.

Its dope as hell they can make so much bread playing video games with their friends at high levels. Sounds like a win to me.

Honestly being a "real" sport doesn't even matter here.

MMA (UFC in particular) is considered a Niche Sport. It isn't one of the major sports of this county and It has been around going on 25 years. THere are a few mainstream stars that many can identify, ROusey, McGregory, Lesner, but again that is mostly by proximity of people that already watch sports.

Even during Rousey's peak, I would occasionally bring her up to people that probably didn't watch UFC and they didn't know who she was. This is a sport that has seen a Million PPV buys for a few events but again THAT doesn't make it a mainstream sport. It having a small(er) select audience, when compared to The Big 4 Sports, is what makes it a NIche sport.

In this country, if it isn't NBA/NFL/MLB/NHL and to a degree Tennis and Golf, your League is niche. It is what it is. It doesn't mean it can't be popular in a certain subset of the culture but it doesn't get the National attention of the MAJOR sports.

Back
Top Bottom