Tyreke Evans to Make Official Visit to St John's?

DoubleJs, it's unrealistic to think Pitino or any other top coach at an Elite program will come to SJU right now, or even in the future. The only way theprogram can really be rebuilt even to respectability is to be VERY patient and allow the team to improve itself with good but not great players, learning tobecome a team that wins on team play and competitiveness. SJU can't compete with the big boys (nh) right now in terms of talent, and without recent successit is unrealistic to think they can lure top recruits on a regular basis.

People need to realize that the problems at SJU are carrying over from before the scandal, when top nyc recuits like Erik (i can't believe this guy leftearly) Barkley jumped ship and screwed himself as well as SJU, followed by Omar (how can you not have learned from EB) Cooke also left the program. Thoseplayers were highly touted coming our of high school, and a ton of emphasis was put on them in their recruiting classes. When the centerpiece of your team andrecruiting effort leaves, it can severely damage the program for many years to come.

I'll try to give an example that most people wouldn't connect right away. Duke is still an elite program with perhaps the top coach in the nation (itcan be argued, but its not the point). But the real reason they have not tasted tournament success recently has to do with the fact that too many of their toprecruits, especially at positions of need, have bolted early for the NBA draft. Now i know guys like Shavlik Randolph and Josh McRoberts aren't viewed assuperstars, and didn't live up to their overhyped potential at Duke, but they are big forwards who were relied on heavily at Duke. When recruiting, it isnot possible to attract 2 top players every year at every position. When a guy like McRoberts commits, the next class or two the focus is not on bringing inanother power forward, so instead Duke went after undersized guards and wing players heavily. The result is an early loss like that can adversely affect aprogram for more than just a season or two, it can take quite a while to restructure the team. At Duke its been going on for a while, with too many of theirkey players leaving before the team can become great. Luol Deng is another example.

Now I'm not saying SJU is in the same position as Duke, after all Duke was still ranked as a top 5 team for much of the season, justified or not. But thefact is bringing in a "superstar" like tyreke evans for one season will not turn around SJU basketball. Look at Indiana. They will be screwed foryears to come by their recent turn of events. With ZERO returning starters and coaching changes, it will be some time before they can compete again. Guys likeEric Gordon can help a program, but only if there is solid talent throughout the roster, and in both upper classmen as well as freshman and sophomores. Thelong-term success of programs isn't in one and done super recruits, its in solid teams that can withstand losses of key players and continue to win, notonly with star recruits, but with team cohesion and a common goal, winning. Thats what SJU needs to focus on, and while Norm Roberts may not be the ultimateguy for the job, he is taking them in the right direction.

Sorry for writing a dissertation guys. Just a passionate College Hoops fan here.

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
there is a God

edit: after reading DoubleJs post i fell back to reality
smh.gif

Barkley jumping ship had NOTHING to do with SJU....if you remember the NCAA was all over the poor kid, and what they were doing to him ultimately helped himmake his decision as to staying in school or not....Barkley had just about every coach/student athlete in his corner. What the NCAA did to him was unfair, butthat's another thread for another day. I accept the fact that a dude like Pitino will NEVER be a coach at SJU, but it's hard for me to believe that wewouldn't be in better shape if we had a Bobby G., or even Matt Dougherty...i'll get into it a little more, because I have some work to do for a littlebit.....KK u did have a good post and some valid points....

*on a side note, Omar Cook did screw himself, but you have to realize that Darius Miles AND Lenny Cooke were in that Jarvis recruiting class....there was sometalent there....

I'm hyped off this thread! Good stuff!

Lenny Cook....oh man bringin me back. Yo I used to play against this cat in high school, damn shame, he was too talented to end up how he did. Then again hecould barely read, and there was always something fishy about him livin with that white kid and his family. The problem with ultra talented NYC ballers is theyget so gassed, and are given a free pass to not work hard on their game. They get by on talent alone, but even that is exaggerated, so when they get tocollege, they meet other dudes just as talented but who work hard. It's not just an NYC thing, but i think the swagger and cockiness that is bred in NY canend up working against some of these guys. Your right about Barkley, he didn't jump ship, but the main point was that key pieces leaving a program forwhatever reason has a lingering effect.

I'm also pretty hyped off this thread my dude. My frustration level with NYC ball is gettin kinda serious tho!

If Evans came here I would have an orgasm actually. As long as we can get 1 good player to come here more will follow. And we get rid of Roberts

I think its highly possible. Lets face it he's one and done in college so why not spend that one year in the best city in the world?

Back
Top Bottom