Uncertain About What I Am

I was going with my older cousin to do shopping one day, and we went to the men's formalwear section in Bloomingdales, which sells clothes for working men and men mainly in their 20's and 30's. I'm a couple of months away from turning 21 btw. Somewhere along the way, I compared his shopping haul to mine. Formal and semiformal button up shirts and boat shoes vs. my Black Scale and Billionaire Boys Club t shirts. Most of my closet is t shirts mixed in with only a few button up shirts. and  I had this deep confusion about whether I'm still a kid or now a man. I feel like a kid and want to keep dressing the same way but now I'm starting to look like a man, something which is hard to accept. Nowadays, I feel like everyone is trying to be older, but I feel like I'm stuck in the past, and I'm going into adulthood kicking and screaming.

My question is given my age and the fact that I'm going to graduate college very soon should I change up my look like my cousin and try to enjoy "adult" things or is the way I am now compatible with adulthood? The law says I'm an adult, but I don't know if I am one mentally. I  guess this is my quarter life crisis.

Last edited:
who cares man, be yourself and be happy. wear what looks best on you. if you wanna mix it up and wear some "adult" clothes here and there go for it. if you wanna be relaxed and yourself then continue being you. this notion of adulthood and having to act a certain way is nonsense. the only way you should act as an adult is rationally and with love. you're supposed to make better decisions as an adult, that's what makes you an adult, not the clothes you wear or the girls you smash.

i'm 23 and my wardrobe is some button ups (i live in ny so i need those when going into the city usually), plain tees (grey, black, blue, teal, etc), and a couple of graphic shirts like a beatles or reservoir dogs tee from the GAP.

just be you man and be comfortable with who you are. how others perceive you is their problem, remember that.

Wear what makes you comfortable.

Do what makes you comfortable.

The worse thing you can do is try to be someone you arent. Dont try to switch things up just because you think you have to.

Let things come naturally to you, dont try to force it.

Thumbs Up

Start wearing womens clothes... all the rappers are doing it.
lol yeah, only problem is I'm going to be working 9-5 soon (hopefully) so that's not very practical
who cares man, be yourself and be happy. wear what looks best on you. if you wanna mix it up and wear some "adult" clothes here and there go for it. if you wanna be relaxed and yourself then continue being you. this notion of adulthood and having to act a certain way is nonsense. the only way you should act as an adult is rationally and with love. you're supposed to make better decisions as an adult, that's what makes you an adult, not the clothes you wear or the girls you smash.

i'm 23 and my wardrobe is some button ups (i live in ny so i need those when going into the city usually), plain tees (grey, black, blue, teal, etc), and a couple of graphic shirts like a beatles or reservoir dogs tee from the GAP.

just be you man and be comfortable with who you are. how others perceive you is their problem, remember that.
Thanks for typing all that out. repped. I feel you on this. I know there's no blueprint to when you're supposed to start dressing and acting a certain way. I guess I'll just let it come depending on my situation and the company I keep.
Wear what makes you comfortable.

Do what makes you comfortable.

The worse thing you can do is try to be someone you arent. Dont try to switch things up just because you think you have to.

Let things come naturally to you, dont try to force it.
Good looks man. I'll keep this in mind.

youre going to the NT to figure out what you are?

im not sure we are qualified to tell you.

just be yourself, and never let something get in the way of being yourself or what makes you happy. 

Wear whatever makes you comfortable fam. As long as you dress for the occasion then you alright. Don't rock your bbc shirt to a wedding, don't gotta wear a suit to school.

Damn OP you gonna graduate college at age 20??? Respect bra bra

Inb4 Vick jersey x Olympic 7's :nerd:

Wear whatever makes you comfortable fam. As long as you dress for the occasion then you alright. Don't rock your bbc shirt to a wedding, don't gotta wear a suit to school.

Damn OP you gonna graduate college at age 20??? Respect bra bra

Inb4 Vick jersey x Olympic 7's
nerd.gif
Thanks, and actually at 21. I got a lot of AP credit though from high school, which is allowing me to graduate early.

Last edited:
Dress for the for the occasion and dress with what makes you comfortable. In highschool I was real matchy matchy. My shirt matched my kicks and my hat. Then I went off to college and moved to hoboken. I'd be lying if i said my style didnt change. I found myself wearing sneakers less and less and wearing more and more, especially to bars and clubs. Graphic tees get little to no where now adays. and even though I still buy sneakers relatively often, usually for nostalgia, i find myself chosing to wear sperrys more often than anything Now Im an engineer and I really have to go out of my way to wear sneakers now just because the opportunity does not present itself as often as it used to. I will always be a sneaker head but I'd say moving to Hoboken/NYC exposed me to different styles and I like them, so i embraced them.

hope that made sense cause lol

I'll be 26 soon just keep it balanced my man i work in a button down job so i have those things but outside of work I'm tshirts and cargo shorts

just do you and no leather sweat suits lol

An adult is a person who handles their responsibilities and has more time to do so due to not wasting it thinking about what message their collar or lack thereof sends. If your job has a dress code, adhere to it. Other than that, it's your time...decorate yourself as you choose.

Wearing the costume of an "adult" doesn't make you one any more than a lab coat makes you a scientist. I'm 25 and mostly wear comic books and football clothes because I like superheroes and the Cowboys...the most mature thing about me is that I don't give a **** what people think of it. That's being an adult.

Even when you dress professionally you can still have your own unique style. Dont worry about it. Shop around, you will find your style soon enough. Outside of the office, anything goes....

Back
Top Bottom