Unclaimed Funds. Find free money!!!

Basically if a company, bank or previous employer owes you money, they give it to the state, which you can claim if you provide proof that you are that person.

Back in January, I did a search on Ny unclaimed funds website. My name didnt come up, but alot of people I know did. And so did my mother in law who passed some years back. One was a life insurance policy. We thought we covered all the policies but I guess there were some we didnt know about. We filed the claim, mailed in the proofs needed to file. Now a check is in the mail. They dont disclose how much it is until you see the check.

Ive also searched for friends and family members, my mother and some others names came up, which is now being claimed
pimp.gif

So to all my NTers, do a search and see what you find. You may be surprised.
POST WHAT YOU FIND!!!

Ny- https://ouf.osc.state.ny.us/ouf/
All other states- http://www.unclaimed.org/ 

Note: Not all states have this service.

do you have to report this on income tax? I just found my moms name, for some dividends. She has been deceased since 1995.

I PUT MY NAME AND SOMETHING CAME UP'

BUT HOW DO I KNOW IT IS ME AND ISNT SOME OTHER PERSON WITH THE SAME NAME (TWO LISTED CAME UP BTW)

Originally Posted by G14

I PUT MY NAME AND SOMETHING CAME UP'

BUT HOW DO I KNOW IT IS ME AND ISNT SOME OTHER PERSON WITH THE SAME NAME (TWO LISTED CAME UP BTW)

Which state did you search? Im not sure what every states search results are like, but the addrress is how you see if its you.

Originally Posted by Fade On You

Nothing for me or my family
tired.gif
 but this is dope.
Try friends. Also try last name only. Names may come up of family that you wouldnt normally think of.

Originally Posted by Spiceman80

do you have to report this on income tax? I just found my moms name, for some dividends. She has been deceased since 1995.
Im not 100% sure. Every state is different when it comes to taxes. You'll have to call and find out.

2 came up for my grandfather. He passed away like 5 years ago. Ill tell my father and let him do what he wants to do with it.

Im sure a couple people are wondering the same thing. hypothetically: what if your name come up, but the address doesn't match yours,Can you still claim this?

Originally Posted by outforaction

Im sure a couple people are wondering the same thing. hypothetically: what if your name come up, but the address doesn't match yours,Can you still claim this?
The address MUST match an address you previously lived or currently live. Or possibly an address you used for mailing. Thats the only way to know if its you. Again, im not sure what every states search results are like, but for Ny, one of the only ways to claim is to prove you live(d) at that address. It could be old mail, bills, check stubs or what ever.

EDIT: another way to see if its actually you is to check what the company is. If youve ever dealt with that company then it possibly you.

I'm owed $8.00 from a dealership I bought a truck from in 2002.
laugh.gif

My mom never claimed a deposit to the electric company for almost $500. 
eek.gif

Found a couple people I know. 

Some are obviously ducking and dodging bill collectors so they hit me with the 
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
 and said to send them the link for later review. 

Also typed in my landlord's name and showed him just now. Dude said depending on how big the amount is I might get a little off the next month's rent. I declined. 
grin.gif
laugh.gif

Thanks for sharing OP.

[table][tr][td]Type of Property: [/td][td]Credit Balance- Accts Rec[/td][/tr][tr][td]Cash Reported: [/td][td]$2.80[/td][/tr][tr][td]Reported By: [/td][td]EBAY INC

pimp.gif

[/td][/tr][/table]

how are you guys getting the amounts? I didn't complete it but all it showed was dividends and the bank it was with for my mother.

Originally Posted by NewYawkRemote

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Also typed in my landlord's name and showed him just now. Dude said depending on how big the amount is I might get a little off the next month's rent. I declined. 
grin.gif
laugh.gif

Thanks for sharing OP.

Wife thought the same thing, thinking they may try to trick people into paying debts. But thats not the case. Its NOT the company you file the claim with, its the state.  Once a company has funds that belong to you, they give the funds and your information to the state. The state doesnt use it to collect dept. they have different ways of doing that. And im sure its illegal to do so. 

Originally Posted by Dropten

Originally Posted by NewYawkRemote

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

grin.gif
laugh.gif

Thanks for sharing OP.

Wife thought the same thing, thinking they may try to trick people into paying debts. But thats not the case. Its NOT the company you file the claim with, its the state.  Once a company has funds that belong to you, they give the funds and your information to the state. The state doesnt use it to collect dept. they have different ways of doing that. And im sure its illegal to do so. 

Yeah agreed. But you know how some people are, lol.
Also out of sheer curiosity (and running out of people's names that I know personally) I typed in Shawn Carter. Damb, Hov still getting money 
tired.gif
tongue.gif

Thanks OP just looked up my last name, and because im a junior i found something that was owed to my old man.

I tired doing it for Virginia and when I went on the page i got this message

The server certificate contains a weak cryptographic key!
You attempted to reach www.trs.virginia.gov, but the server presented a certificate containing a weak key. An attacker could have broken the private key, and the server may not be the server you expected (you may be communicating with an attacker).
You should not proceed, especially if you have never seen this warning before for this site.

Should I not proceed?

Back
Top Bottom