Under Armour?

Stopped reading after "looks as good as the kd7"

UA makes amazing, durable products that perform GREAT. Adidas basketball roster is stacked and they just introduced BOOST which is dope, nike has Kobe and LeBron, the game needs a 3rd player at the table. It'll push all the brands to be more innovative.

People buying hoop shoes just to take pics for IG is what got the game messed up for the consumers that really hoop

Of course you take the "performance" route for a response. UA is a company with a bottom line like everyone else and want to sell shoes. Just slapping a name on anything regardless if it performs well or not isn't going to cut it.

Show me the shoe UA has that gives you hope they can make something to compete with Nike on a design level. Your obvious dislike for the hype that's associated with Nikes products (the Instagram comment) has clouded your judgement. I'm with it if they look good. I'm not a baller and can care less about performance.

Stopped reading after "looks as good as the kd7"

UA makes amazing, durable products that perform GREAT. Adidas basketball roster is stacked and they just introduced BOOST which is dope, nike has Kobe and LeBron, the game needs a 3rd player at the table. It'll push all the brands to be more innovative.

People buying hoop shoes just to take pics for IG is what got the game messed up for the consumers that really hoop

Of course you take the "performance" route for a response. UA is a company with a bottom line like everyone else and want to sell shoes. Just slapping a name on anything regardless if it performs well or not isn't going to cut it.

Show me the shoe UA has that gives you hope they can make something to compete with Nike on a design level. Your obvious dislike for the hype that's associated with Nikes products (the Instagram comment) has clouded your judgement. I'm with it if they look good. I'm not a baller and can care less about performance.
Fam the spine running shoes are easily the most crossover performer casual shoe, and the bloodlines also.

I'm not sure why kd would leave nike for UA other than the bad design they've pumping out for his latest signature

Believe what u want champ. Keep buying nikes fam

The real question is, will Nike let him go that easily? How will it make Nike look if they let KD go for 30mil? Pretty sure they want to keep their big 3 line up. As for the aesthetics versus performance it is just funny that when NIke designs shoes like the lebron 11 lifestyle and the kd one that they don't sell but people opt into buying the kd 6 and wear it casually instead of for ball. 

As far as I am concerned I look for the best of both worlds but performance comes over aesthetics. Not a fan of the Kb9 elite yet I want them to ball in. 

UA makes good products, and I don't doubt their ability to make something aesthetically appealing while still maintaining a great on court performer. 

Needs what exactly? Nothing UA has done to this point basketball wise looks as good as the KD 7. If UA makes more casually appealing shoes I'm with it but what makes anyone think they will make better looking designs than Nike has or will make down the road?

It's good for him but not for me as a consumer.

Yeah, I see your point. You're reasoning is why basketball shoes and the market are why they are today. Not you personally, but your thinking - basketball shoes are first and foremost for performance. The athletes do want good looks but they have to perform (Lebron XI).

The real question is, will Nike let him go that easily? How will it make Nike look if they let KD go for 30mil? Pretty sure they want to keep their big 3 line up. As for the aesthetics versus performance it is just funny that when NIke designs shoes like the lebron 11 lifestyle and the kd one that they don't sell but people opt into buying the kd 6 and wear it casually instead of for ball. 

As far as I am concerned I look for the best of both worlds but performance comes over aesthetics. Not a fan of the Kb9 elite yet I want them to ball in. 

UA makes good products, and I don't doubt their ability to make something aesthetically appealing while still maintaining a great on court performer. 
Under armour has the best athletic aesthetic shoes for on court/field and cant be worn off court. Nike has high tech booboo athletic shoes that you can wear on and off the court.

Yeah, I see your point. You're reasoning is why basketball shoes and the market are why they are today. Not you personally, but your thinking - basketball shoes are first and foremost for performance. The athletes do want good looks but they have to perform (Lebron XI).

I'm a 30 year old shoe collector who's sport growing up was baseball. So why would the performance of a basketball shoe mean anything to me? I just want a good looking shoe that feels good for a few hours. I don't how it's a problem not taking its on court performance in account. Not sure how old you are but way before the "market" as you say got like it is. I along with many others bought shoes in the 90s also based off looks alone and the "market" was fine.

Last edited:
I am a little older than you so I know where you are coming from. My point was even then shoes were made for performance and they happened to ride hip hop and culture into mainstream crossover appeal. Companies see still trying to repeat that success while the public is still hung up on retro looks. I'll bet the shoes you bought back then were beast ball shoes and the general public thought they were ugly. But now they are flying out of stores because if "new" markets following us.

Not trying to be harsh or start anything - far from it and sorry if it came across that way .

I haven't taken offense to anything said today. I didn't come to wave my Nike flag though. Just saying until this point I haven't been excited about UAs basketball line. If KD signs I'm all for checking them out and hopefully getting him will raise there bar. I'm also a fan of his Nike line so it'll suck to see it go as it gets better. I personally love the 7.

Btw I'm from Maryland and have attended UMD so it's not like I want UA to fail.

Nah - never saw flag waving. Just wanted to clear my intentions. Some on here get hurt way too fast.

I love the KD7 and 5, the 6 sucked and the 2-4 were good. Lots of street appeal in his early models.

Hopefully KD goes with UA. Yes people that wear his shoes casually may be a tad disappointed, but I rarely wear Nike casually or on the court anymore. UA can be worn casually and there are plenty of options. With the pic Steph Curry put on instagram earlier of a high, mid and low ClutchFit Drive, it makes me think UA is headed in that direction. Mostly all basketball shoes on their sight right now are mids, but I'd expect a Anatomix Spawn 2 low to come in a few months.

The Speedform Apollo and Anatomix Spawns are the two most comfortable shoes I've ever worn for running and basketball. They make shoes that, in my opinion, perform better than anything else. Hopefully UA can lure him in with that.

The money is nice, but more importantly, a shoe that makes him better. And that's UAs business model. If I were KD I'd want a brand that puts more effort to my line than the others. I think UA can do that.

Bonus: If KD goes to UA and then the Wizards you'd have UA (KD), Adidas (Wall), and Nike (Beal, not signed, but he wears Nike) as a big 3. Think that'd be kinda cool.

TL:DR - UA makes the best performance shoes and apparel.Hopefully KD sees that as appealing enough to want to sign with them. Average consumers shouldn't worry.

EDIT; The biggest thing consumers would miss out on is Nike iD. I'd say UA is years away from having that option.

Last edited:
Just slapping a name on anything regardless if it performs well or not isn't going to cut it.

KD6? That shoe is not comfortable. Even walking in them. They look great, but I think what he was trying to say is that it would push other shoe companies like Nike to become more performance oriented rather than focusing all on style because they know people will buy it.

It is only bad for the mass consumers that don't ball and are like he said, only interested in taking IG pictures.

KD6? That shoe is not comfortable. Even walking in them. They look great, but I think what he was trying to say is that it would push other shoe companies like Nike to become more performance oriented rather than focusing all on style because they know people will buy it.

It is only bad for the mass consumers that don't ball and are like he said, only interested in taking IG pictures.

My response to that would be so what if Nike has or is slipping on performance. If your a basketball player who thinks performance first then brand doesn't matter. If UA provides what you need on court already what difference does it make what Nike does and if people want shoes to take pics?

Unless you wanted a shoe with UA performance and Nikes visual flair. If you read my original post we want the same thing just reverse. You guys a better performing Nike and me a better looking UA sneaker. I haven't played ball in years so I can't speak on Nikes performance and if it's slipping or not.

Last edited:
Nike products have been on the downgrade, hyperdunks used to have a carbon foot plate, they dont even have a tpu shank now. Same with lebrons. Under armour is gonna catch up an when it does, nike and adidas are in trouble

I think KD and UA will make an awesome partnership. With the amount of revenue UA is bringing in and their vast support of youth athletics as well as focal point, I strongly believe we will see great strides, not only for KD, but Steph and any others that join UA in the future. For those speaking on "looks" and "street flair", I'm sure UA will fully engage with KD in the design path of his own signature shoe which may or may not be "hip" but for a performance company like UA, I'm sure it will look good. Leo Chang created a sub-par product for KD (based on my personal opinion) with mediocre cushioning for my liking, I'm a proud owner of the first wave of UA basketball shoes and I think the Blackice's alone look very dope casually and performed very well. I really hope we get an answer soon!

I like the Apollo looks and all. I'm sure getting KD would take them to another level and further there presence in the sneaker market.

Saw a tweet that UA is offering $325 mill over 10 years. You realize KD has no choice right?

That is bank.

Back
Top Bottom