Universal Monsters Movie Reboots - The Mummy, Invisible Man, etc...

Mummy still projected at $35m, which isn't too bad considering the bad reviews and initial projection was at $40m.

They're really banking on Toms international stardom on this one though, I think it's pretty much where he's making BO in his films lately.
Yup. Movie has already made 20 mill overseas and I read that the china opening will be around 55 million. Looking at a 150 million ish opening weekend. Overseas is going to save this movie

^ ^ ^
Toms star power is still huge outside the US, I think it already saved it

Believe it or not, The Mummy is the #1 film in the world!

Despite a poor critical reception and a mixed audience reaction, the Dark Universe launching pad performed as expected overseas, earning over $141.8 million from 63 territories, which, combined with its subpar domestic haul of $32.2 million, will give it a massive worldwide opening of $174 million, the largest international opening for a Tom Cruise film ever.

China led the charge with a spectacular $52.2 million launch, followed by South Korea with $17.8 million, Russia with $7.8 million, Mexico with $5.1 million, and Taiwan with $4.9 million. The film will open in eight more territories over the next two weeks, including Egypt on June 21, and its final premiere will be held in Japan on July 28.

With a reported $125 million production budget, it seems as though the Dark Universe is far from dead as it's looking increasingly likely that the Alex Kurtzman-directed monster movie will turn a profit by summer's end. Additionally, in more good news, Universal has now crossed $2 billion at the overseas box office and $3 billion at the global box office.

Last edited:
Wow, I'm not surprised the movie did great globally but largest opening for a Cruise film ever? Sheeeeiiiiitttt!

Coming off Pirates and Orient Express which I assume will do well I expect Depp to do well with his movie as well.

Apparently Bride of Frankenstein is up next though.

So we can blame china for this.
Did you want the movie and cinematic universe to fail?

Last edited:
Yea I'm also pretty surprised it's his largest opening ever.. figured that would have been MI easily

Probably go check it out next week.. got low expectations.. but I got more hope they'll get this 'universe' figured out before some others, just going off what I've read and seen about it

Movie was ok.. based on the stuff I saw, expected it to be worse

Only couple things bothered me.. thought nick's motivations at the end were pretty weak, expected a lot more from Hyde in the size/strength departments and was disappointed in the end given what we had seen to that point

I think theyll get it figured out by the next movie or the one after

Universal’s Van Helsing reboot eyes Channing Tatum

Buried in a Hollywood Reporter article about the current status of several franchises is a little bombshell that Universal Pictures is courting Channing Tatum (21 Jump Street, Magic Mike) to take the lead in their Van Helsing reboot. The relaunch will be part of the studio’s ever-evolving Dark Universe, which got off to a rough start this summer with the Tom Cruise box office underperformer The Mummy. Cruise was originally courted for the Van Helsing role back in 2012 under writers Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci and director Rupert Sanders.

I didn't mind The Mummy and am still curious about this Monsterverse. I don't think The Mummy was that bad of a start and there's still plenty of potential to right the ship.

yah, i didn't mind the mummy, it was a good set-up and to give toms character power to be the hero later on was a good move

they also have a good cast so it's really going to depend on the directors they get

I thought the Mummy was fine too, and seeing all the talent they had pulled, no way I want them to just give up after one film. But I thought we were supposed to already have 2-3 films by now, far as I know they haven't even started on a second one yet. So I've been worried. Hope they push forward.

yah the Luke Evans Dracula should just be scrapped and start all over, they made that movie too much like a superhero flick, i mean it looked cool but it was far and few in between

Evans had some awesome dragon armor in that movie.

Still not interested in any monster universe though. They are persistent with dracula untold being a dud and the mummy movie being easily forgotten.

i also liked Van Helsing with Jackman

i liked the story they told of Werewolf destined to kill Dracula and Van Helsing becoming one in the end

Shape of Water could have been about the creature from the black lagoon and Del Toro might be interested in joining this universe too iirc and can't think of a better director for this world

Well I liked the Mummy for what it was.

For the gross domestically I can see why they slowed down the rollout but are still going to do it.

When you do think of the main monsters, what you're going to be a hit with are the Draculas (guess you count Van Helsing(not a fan of Tatumnin that role)), Werewolf, Frankenstein's monster (not sure bride of will be that anticipated), and even Jekyll/Hyde.

:smh:
watching the mummy now
and im already turned off
they talking bout seth being the egyptian god of death
this was said in the first 3 minutes of the film
thats not even correct its anubis
i know just from that
the film gonna trash

UPGRADE Director Leigh Whannell Has Signed On To Helm Universal's INVISIBLE MAN Movie

According to Variety, the studio has enlisted Upgrade director Leigh Whannell to helm its reboot of The Invisible Man, which also has Blumhouse's Jason Blum on board as producer.

Johnny Depp was previously attached to play the lead role (presumably Griffin from H.G. Wells' classic novel), but it doesn't look like that's going to happen now - although this report does mention that he, along with Javier Bardem, Tom Cruise, and Russell Crowe, still have the option to appear in future projects once a filmmaker has signed on.

One thing that should make fright-fans happy is the news that Universal’s new monster movies will be "rooted in horror, with no restrictions on budget, tone, or rating."

Back
Top Bottom