Unsold Clothes Destroyed by H&M and Wal-Mart

That's crazy. And like Dirty said, H & M isn't exactly a brand with the biggest profile in the fashion world.

Originally Posted by mytmouse76

absolutely ridiculous...

SN: i always ask can i have the hanger at H&M and those bastards always so no... @@#% boys
roll.gif

Originally Posted by LESfamilia

That's crazy. And like Dirty said, H & M isn't exactly a brand with the biggest profile in the fashion world.
It doesn't need a big profile.

All it needs is a target market and H&M certainly has one.

Originally Posted by Much Respected

Originally Posted by TeamJordan79

smh so why are there clothing drives if clothes get destroyed

the main problem aint the clothes...its logistics
tired.gif
I think its more about them protecting the brand than logistics.
def. they dont want ppl to say....o H&M jeans, only hobos were them nowadays
laugh.gif

but if they had some kind of mechanism that would protect their brand and enable charity work.....2 birds with one stone. they need to get up on that.

Reminds me of..

Like what exactly is the point... Ship it off to a third world country or something.

Originally Posted by eight2one

Someone break it down to me as to why the do this?
If they don't destroy the property, they risk individuals going through the trash, finding clothes, and returning them for cash/store credit.That used to happen a lot at Wal-Mart, iirc. They could just remove the tags/cross out the tags with markers like some stores do when they sell excess clothingto Marshall's/TJ Maxx, but they don't want to. Also, I know some stores prefer that their "brand" only be associated with customers within acertain income bracket/race because they feel it hurts their brand if homeless people are seen wearing the brand.

I know supermarkets do this every evening, and they usually pour bleach or another poisonous liquid on top of them because we live in such a sue-happy nationthat if someone consumes a muffin that the store threw away and gets sick, they can get a lawyer and sue the heck out of a multimillion dollar corporations.

Because of this, the amount of "freegans" (people who only eat, wear, and furnish their apartments with what they find for free in trash cans) livingin big cities has increased exponentially. This nations wastes so much every day, and it's so sad. I have never heard of people wasting as much asAmericans do.

Saw it on the news the other night.

Pretty sad since there are so many homeless pple that could use a sweater or pair of sneakers to wear

Originally Posted by AJChick23

Reminds me of..

Like what exactly is the point... Ship it off to a third world country or something.
well, this was funny

cause kids were paying 450 a pop for a 70 dollar hoody which prolly costs 12 dollars to make...

this is a little different...

this is clearence *+#@ they can't sell......so give it away...noone wants it...you're wasting time cutting it up, just cut your tags out of it...

Not surprised by this.

If anyone is upset by their actions, you can choose to not buy brand new clothes.

Originally Posted by eNPHAN

Originally Posted by AJChick23

Reminds me of..

well, this was funny

cause kids were paying 450 a pop for a 70 dollar hoody which prolly costs 12 dollars to make...

this is a little different...

this is clearence *+#@ they can't sell......so give it away...noone wants it...you're wasting time cutting it up, just cut your tags out of it...

I see what you're saying but it's still just dumb to burn good clothing for no point other than for sh**s and giggles.

sadly, it is common business practice. a lot of companies in retail do this
tired.gif

on a side note i saw a homeless man rock some 14s, dude almost broke my neck
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

Originally Posted by donpoppa

same thing for restaurants they throw out perfectly good food.
^I believe there is a liability issue when it comes to food.
and that can be easily solved with a "consume at your own risk" label

Originally Posted by cguy610

Originally Posted by His diabolical Majesty

Originally Posted by H TOWN HUSTLER

It cost more money to get them in other hands.

na that's not the issue. All it takes is a couple of phone calls to churches, clothings drives, etc. They'll come and pick em up in trash bags. It's what much respected said.

QFT. Churches, clothing drives, etc are required to be not for profit. So there's no "brand" to protect and no "cost" to get them in other hands.

Directly around the corner from H & M is a big collection point for New York Cares, which conducts an annual coat drive.

"We'd be glad to take unworn coats, and companies often send them to us," said Colleen Farrell, a spokeswoman for New York Cares.

It's not that easy and trust me if you're getting brand new clothes chances are they won't be distributed properly.

Originally Posted by Across 110th st

but who puts labels on food thrown out in the garbage?

Originally Posted by OctobersFinest

You guys all realize that they announced yesterday that they stopped doing this right.
They are not going to stop doing this. This ha been happening for the past two decades, and so many stores do it.
roll.gif

Originally Posted by dbbabd

You guys are some soft ppl .

1) Why would they give their clothes to HOMELESS ppl. That would take away from exclusiveness and demand of their clothes.
2) You think Gucci, LV, Nike, Crooks, Hundreds, Supreme give their clothes away to homeless ppl. NO so %$*$
3) It would take away from their demand.

its just alot. I wouldnt do it either.

Not saying that I dont have a heart for ppl in need but, business is business.
Very poor logic. The topic is about Wal-Mart and H&M. Do you really think Wal-Mart clothes = Gucci clothes.

I just bought a pair of sweats from Wal-Mart a couple weeks ago for $5. Trust me, Wal-Mart doesn't have to worry about me asking a poor guy why he got thesame sweatpants for free.

ps. and with donating the clothes... couldn't they not value the items at full retail price when calculating the charitable tax deduction?

ps. and with donating the clothes... couldn't they not value the items at full retail price when calculating the charitable tax deduction?

It isnt as simple as giving the clothes away, or that these companies etc are being thoughtless or cruel. Seeing as i own a few stores. it isnt that simple.1st the reason you throw the clothes away/slash them so they cannot be used etc. When you cannot sell an item, You can do a few things. liquidate the items andrecoup your assest, by sending the products back to the vendor(not often you can) our to a second hand merchant ie...
Marshall Fields, TJ MAXX etc. Or you can get some of the money back from the merchants/vendors if the close are deemed damaged/defective etc. Thus the reasonyou slash them.

If you just told oh nike i couldnt sell these af1's so i gave them away. One they are gonna be reluctant to extand your buyers account. Two you lessen yourchances of a kick back and recouping some of the monies you spent. And you cant just claim them on taxes, because the products arent yours. persay. They get aportion etc of the shares the items earn. They will recover damages if eiher they become damaged, irregular etc. If you just call up ralph lauren and say ohthey didnt sell so i gave them away. You will not only not recoup, because the company cant recoup any money by taking the clothes back to distribute to rossetc. And the cant right off the clothes for damage either if you just gave them away. Thats why when they slash and throw them away, you must inform the vendorand have a running account of all items sold, lost damage stolen defective etc. What i do is hold drives for clothes etc do non profit.

^I can see that being an issue with Walmart....but with H&M though...they themselves are the manufacturer/brand owners

Originally Posted by Across 110th st

and who the hell is going to eat there ever again?
laugh.gif

I know of another 6th ave store that throws away MINT merchandise that can be returned
but im not tellin
pimp.gif

why dont the send the clothes over seas like they do with the losing sports teams in championship games?

this african dude i know had a dingy dirty shirt in a case in his house... he said it was the shirt that he wore when he came to america.
it was a 1996 NBA championship celebration shirt! like the kind the players wear on court!
for the supersonics.

Back
Top Bottom