US Violence Wave

Extreme liberalism. Key word Extreme.

And that's not what I'm doing at all. Corruption, and down right laziness are the main reasons, however you can't tell me that the "defund the police" movement hasn't had an effect. I'm more than certain they turn the blind eye to things even more now.

Police units were not even defunded. Police budgets increased mostly

Places it looked like they cut the budget, the mostly used accounting tricks to delay paying out overtime

So a movement that was mainly on Twitter, and was used as a propaganda piece for the right-wing, gets the blame for the police not wanting to do their jobs?

And If extreme liberalism is to blame. Then what explains violence also rising in conservative controlled areas?

Last edited:
Police can suppress crime in the short run

But it comes with a lot of collateral damage that people don't really think about until later the dust settles

There was a ton of support in the black community for tough-on-crime policies. Now we all know those were mistakes

Black folk still want good effective policing in their neighborhoods now

Problem is that when crime spikes, police budgets usually ballon, police faceless accountability, and since the underlying issues driving crime, in the long run, don't change the cycle is destined to repeat.

Also the police are not very good at major parts of their job.

So of course we are gonna see more cops on the streets. But as a society we should always be thinking of ways to hold them accountable for misconduct, making sure they are policing effectively, non policing public safety measures (having functional street lights help), putting in long term programs to address poverty and inequality, funding social programs, put in place new ones that have shown to increase the likelihood kids graduate school and find jobs.

We are not gonna have the need gun control in the US. But we should definitely fund the damn ATF so we can go after the people that flood places with cheap illegal handguns.

But it comes with a lot of collateral damage that people don't really think about until later the dust settles

There was a ton of support in the black community for tough-on-crime policies. Now we all know those were mistakes

Problem is that when crime spikes, police budgets usually ballon, police faceless accountability, and since the underlying issues driving crime, in the long run, don't change the cycle is destined to repeat.

So of course we are gonna see more cops on the streets. But as a society we should always be thinking of ways to hold them accountable for misconduct, making sure they are policing effectively, non policing public safety measures (having functional street lights help), putting in long term programs to address poverty and inequality, funding social programs, put in place new ones that have shown to increase the likelihood kids graduate school and find jobs.

We are not gonna have the need gun control in the US. But we should definitely fund the damn ATF so we can go after the people that flood places with cheap illegal handguns.
I fear with the increase in violence, more tough on crime policies are going to be pushed. I hope a lesson was learned.

I personally feel like its economic reasons. An untold amount of people have lost careers, income, family, friends, etc. during this pandemic. Unemployment benefits that kept people afloat have dried up and now people are willing to do whatever it takes to put food on the table or acquire some form of income. The problems didnt go away just because we have vaccines and the country opened up.

The Weeds podcast had a really good episode on policing and defunding the police.

The main takeaway for me is that the widespread availability of firearms is the main reason why police can't be asked to be less aggressive.

The problem is that the very people - cops - who should be asking for more rules on gun possession, which would make their job easier and less stressful, actually support the very thing that makes their job risk-prone.

They want to collect their checks without having to put in the effort, and the backlash against "Defund the police" (which isn't abolish the police) is the latest example of the police and police unions refusing to be held accountable.

The communities gotta shelter some of the blame as well. Crime prevention sorta starts there.

Since we talkin police....

How do you guys feel about Philly making it illegal for cops to pulling people over for minor traffic offenses like, broken tail lights or not using a turn signal.

On one hand I'm like this is GREAT!

On the other hand they are just admitting that the police force is truly racist and instead of firing and reforming they are trying to control uncontrollable racist cops.

Like in actuality it's really not a good look.

You can't trust your officers not to turn a traffic stop into a murder.

The Weeds podcast had a really good episode on policing and defunding the police.

The main takeaway for me is that the widespread availability of firearms is the main reason why police can't be asked to be less aggressive.

The problem is that the very people - cops - who should be asking for more rules on gun possession, which would make their job easier and less stressful, actually support the very thing that makes their job risk-prone.

They want to collect their checks without having to put in the effort, and the backlash against "Defund the police" (which isn't abolish the police) is the latest example of the police and police unions refusing to be held accountable.
From what I read on research on policing, most police hate the amount of **** their jobs ask them to do, and would support more social services. Would love for there to be fewer guns on the streets. And are generally stressed and burnt.

However

Police unions have convinced their members that as police officers they should not be held accountable for any misconduct they might do on the job. That that democratic accountability should not apply to them

Identity policies are strong within police forces.

And as a result, officers routinely sabotage efforts to make their jobs easier and safer

Only solution is always....more overtime.

:smh:

Last edited:
Since we talkin police....

How do you guys feel about Philly making it illegal for cops to pulling people over for minor traffic offenses like, broken tail lights or not using a turn signal.

On one hand I'm like this is GREAT!

On the other hand they are just admitting that the police force is truly racist and instead of firing and reforming they are trying to control uncontrollable racist cops.

Like in actuality it's really not a good look.

You can't trust your officers not to turn a traffic stop into a murder.
As long as they have so called probable cause, they can just pull you over for whatever they want. They'll just make up a new reason to stop you.

As long as they have so called probable cause, they can just pull you over for whatever they want. They'll just make up a new reason to stop you.

I'm just puzzled on what the law is actually saying.

Are they really trying to police or is the system so far gone that even the top of law enforcement doesn't think a cop can pull a ***** over for a broken taillight without it turning into something like Philando Castile

I personally feel like its economic reasons. An untold amount of people have lost careers, income, family, friends, etc. during this pandemic. Unemployment benefits that kept people afloat have dried up and now people are willing to do whatever it takes to put food on the table or acquire some form of income. The problems didnt go away just because we have vaccines and the country opened up.
I don't think people realize that while Canadians and Western Europeans who were forced into unemployment for a year of more received a percentage of their earnings as compensation, Americans going through the same circumstances got checks totaling $2000, thoughts, and prayers.

On top of that, a lot of those folks are behind on their rent and are facing eviction in the craziest housing/renting market in our lifetime, and that's despite the rent assistance made available by the government (rent assistance that can be denied by landlords if they want to get rid of folks who have an eviction order against them).

The way our society treats folks who are down on their luck is abject. How can we be surprised that people act without empathy?

A historic rise in homicides in 2020—and continued bloodshed in 2021—has incited fears that after years of plummeting crime rates, the U.S. could be headed back to the bad old days, when a crime wave gripped the country from the 1970s to the 1990s.

But the FBI’s “Uniform Crime Report” for 2020, released Monday, suggests something stranger: Perhaps America is in the midst of what is specifically a violence wave, not a broad crime wave. Even as violent crime rose, led by significant jumps in murders and aggravated assaults, property crime continued a years-long decline.

The murder rate rose by nearly 30 percent, the largest increase on record. There were about 21,500 murders, or 6.5 per 100,000 people. Aggravated assault, the most common form of violent crime, rose 12 percent. Among other components of the violent-crime rate, robbery actually decreased and rape reports were flat. But property crimes overall fell 8 percent, led by drops in burglary and larceny—though motor-vehicle theft increased.

Nothing new it goes in cycles, growing up in Baltimore we had 3-400 murders a year in the 90’s , n it’s back now…it’s gon chill in a few years again

They're just regurgitating political talking points.

Most cops are just glorified hall monitors. Without broken windows type policing and traffic violations they don't have much else to do.

Anecdotally I've heard stories of people calling the police for property crimes or shots fired recently and getting extremely slow response times if any at all and getting very condescending responses when complaining about it. They definitely mad out here.

Not only are they refusing to do their jobs, its even worse. Over 100 officers in my city recently went on PAID disability leave due to suffering pstd from working during the george floyd protests. They're literally sitting at home collecting a check. Costing taxpayers $30+ million. Plus having to hire replacements.

On the other hand, its extremely difficult to get pulled over these days :lol: It used to be you were worried about em following you to find the smallest infraction to pull you over and get in your business. Now you dont even gotta follow basic traffic laws and they dont even blink.

I don't think people realize that while Canadians and Western Europeans who were forced into unemployment for a year of more received a percentage of their earnings as compensation, Americans going through the same circumstances got checks totaling $2000, thoughts, and prayers.

this meme keeps being repeated but it isn't true.

Americans got beefed up employment insurance (sometimes exceeding the pay they were making on job ) + stimulus checks for everyone.

Canadians who were layed off because of the pandemic got a percentage of their earnings.
no stimulus checks.

1638685704309.png

Americans spent more per as percentage of GDP than Canada and was one of the higher spenders compared to Europe.

this idea that America just gave people 2k and hopes and prayers just isn't true.

now don't get me wrong, you can make strong arguments for the Canadian approach being superior.

the federal government delivered the benefits.
rather than relying on local EI systems.

and the government subsidized payrolls of business hit hard by pandemic,
rather than having to fire people so they could access EI
or doing paperwork to get PPE loans.

but Id still like 2k check. i didn't get squat. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom