UVA Mens Lax player charged w. first-degree murder of UVA female Lax player....

naw homie, i'm not well off but i'm well ... i have more than the average 24 year old and i'm chillin ... boutta hopefully get this new job within th enext month and be set for life ...

i dont like rich people who act a @*@ just cuz they think they can, thats my issue ... be humble ... 

Originally Posted by Hess Side 978

Honestly, every single high level lacrosse player I've ever met definately loves some drugs. They are the ultimate "I do what I want" headcase athletes. I know this obviously isn't the reality of 100% of lacrosse players, but the number of d-bags in lacrosse far outweighs the number of good guys. I can deal with some "pot heads" because hell I consider myself one. Its the guys that are down for a different drug every day of the week that annoy the %#@# out of me. The college atmosphere definately play into this mentality as well.
This

Originally Posted by moneyisthemotive

naw homie, i'm not well off but i'm well ... i have more than the average 24 year old and i'm chillin ... boutta hopefully get this new job within th enext month and be set for life ...

i dont like rich people who act a @*@ just cuz they think they can, thats my issue ... be humble ... 
please shut up, you sound like an idiot.

I meant to post in here but forgot about it (exam week and etc.).

The entire tragedy is crazy. I remember getting out of my French class early in the morning and one of my friends had told me what had happened literally a block away from my class room. It definitely left a wild shock on the community during exam week; I've never seen so many people so lost and confused especially since it was exam week and people were so close to the end of the year. The candlelight vigil that was held was deep, maybe even a little too deep for my liking.

Needless to say, it came to the entire UVA community as a shock and it's still weird to think that it happened. Our campus was filled with newstrucks from local news to ESPN, it was sad to see all of it going on. My prayers and respects go out to Yeardley and her family/friends, the UVA community is behind them 100%.

If anyone cares to read the SI article, it's real good: http://sportsillustrated....05/11/virginia.lacrosse/

tired.gif

Figured I'd dig this thread up rather than start a new one.

some insight into a possible motive here:

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Romantic Rival Testifies at U.Va. Murder Trial[/h1]
byline_ap.gif

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/police-testify-finding-beaten-lacrosse-player-15549430#

By STEVE SZKOTAK Associated Press

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. February 9, 2012 (AP)

The romantic rival of a former University of Virginia lacrosse player accused of killing his ex-girlfriend testified Thursday that he saw the defendant with his arm around her neck months before her death.

Mike Burns talked about the chokehold at George Huguely V's murder trial. Huguely is accused of killing Yeardley Love in May 2010 by slamming her head against a wall. Huguely's defense maintains Love died in part by taking the prescription drug Adderall and drinking alcohol.

Love was on Virginia's women's lacrosse team. Burns played for North Carolina.

At a party at Huguely's apartment complex three months before Love's death, Burns said he heard yells from Huguely's bedroom. When he walked in, he saw Huguely with his arm around her neck and midsection, he said.

"What did George do?" prosecutor David Chapman said.

"George let go of her," Burns said.

Love was crying hysterically after Huguely released her and she fled, Burns said. Love later told Burns that Huguely wanted to talk but she was resisting, Burns said.

Chapman produced an email earlier this week in which Huguely accused Love of having a relationship with Burns.

"When I found out about Mike Burns, I should have killed you," the email said, according to Chapman.

Burns testified that he and Love "hooked up" several times beginning in the 2008, including after the night at the party.

6d52ceaa8ac14824ad055de9e16006a7_mn.jpg

AP

FILE - This undated file photo provided by... View Full Caption

Huguely and Love dated for two years, but in their final year of college, the relationship turned hot and cold, with arguments and angry and abusive emails.

Former Virginia lacrosse players and their friends also testified Thursday, describing a sexually-charged, alcohol-fueled atmosphere. He said the choking occurred at a party involving two apartment buildings in Charlottesville attended by 120 people.

Burns demonstrated on the prosecutor what he saw.

Tim Fuchs, a former Virginia lacrosse player, testified that he saw Love leave the bedroom.

"She seemed a little scared," Fuchs said. "She was a little freaked out."

Fuchs and others also talked about when Love walked in on Huguely, Fuchs and two high school girls from northern Virginia who were visiting the campus. Love confronted Huguely, asking if the girls were the same ones he had sent flirtatious text messages to.

Instead of answering, Huguely responded with insults, another witness said. Huguely's relationship with the girls was not made clear during testimony.

Two former Huguely teammates also testified to his growing drinking problem, including a father-son golf tournament at which he began drinking at 9 a.m. and continued until he stumbled, slurred his words and made inappropriate remarks. Teammates were considering an intervention.

During earlier testimony Thursday, police officers who responded to what they thought was an alcohol overdose said they found Love's bruised and bloodied body, and quickly realized her apartment was a crime scene.

Patrolman K.W. Chapman said he arrived at the apartment and found a hole in her bedroom door and her body lying on the floor next to her bed. She was wearing only underwear.

He kneeled down to check whether she was breathing and detected nothing. He then unsuccessfully tried CPR. He said Love's face was bloodied, bruised and had scrapes.

"When I saw that, I knew that this was nowhere near the report that I was given," Chapman said.

Charlottesville Police Sgt. S.R. Bayles said after he viewed Love's lifeless body, he concluded she had been the "victim of some act of violence" and began recording the apartment with a digital camera.

Love had a black eye and the side of her face had bruises, Bayles said.

When photos of the scene were shown to jurors, Huguely cast his eyes downward and fidgeted with his hands.

08bcb7b9a47a49dc82ba613a3c43d311_mn.jpg

AP

FILE - An undated file photo provided by the... View Full Caption

EMT crews that followed Chapman and his partner to Love's apartment testified about the frantic efforts to revive her.

Huguely's attorneys have said he was drunk the night Love died and incapable of plotting to kill her. They maintain Love, of Cockeysville, Md., died from a cardiopulmonary failure caused in part by Adderall and alcohol.

They also said the blood found at the base of Love's brain wasn't caused by Huguely but by forceful attempts to resuscitate her.

definitely a possible motive, but I doubt dude went there planning to kill her. at least not soberly. his teammates said he was always drunk or hopped up on something, so chances are he got wasted, they got into an argument (could have been over anything) and in a drug fueled rage dude got physical like it sounds like he always did and without intending to, killed her. or maybe he got drunk/high and decided he did want to kill her. either way unless he'd been plotting it for a while it doesn't sound like first degree murder.

that adderal + alcohol induced heart attack angle they're playing is pure desperation though. dude should just plead out and pray for mercy from the judge.

I think they're reaching pretty hard, honestly, in trying to shine light on some sort of motive. Citing motive is in itself an implication that the crime was premeditated in some way. I haven't even heard anyone suggest that before this article. The kid, and most of his friends, were raging alcoholics. If they were anything like many other social circles at UVa, everyone was pretty much drunk all day and all night for long stretches of the semester. Sometimes they inevitably go over their tolerance and lose control completely. This kid did that and crossed the lines in the worst way imaginable and will probably pay the price for it with his life, or a long stretch of it. But to paint him as a pre-meditative murderer is to ignore the context of the incident within the scene that Huguely and Love were a part of.

Originally Posted by Nako XL

definitely a possible motive, but I doubt dude went there planning to kill her. at least not soberly. his teammates said he was always drunk or hopped up on something, so chances are he got wasted, they got into an argument (could have been over anything) and in a drug fueled rage dude got physical like it sounds like he always did and without intending to, killed her. or maybe he got drunk/high and decided he did want to kill her. either way unless he'd been plotting it for a while it doesn't sound like first degree murder.

that adderal + alcohol induced heart attack angle they're playing is pure desperation though. dude should just plead out and pray for mercy from the judge.
I'm sure his lawyers begged him to do this, but many people in his shoes are in denial and can't bring themselves to consider a guilty plea. 
He's probably mentally gone already, if not he will be soon. He went from the highest highs of society to the lowest lows, in a matter of a few days.

SMH all around at this whole situation. SMH. 

Huguely's attorneys have said he was drunk the night Love died and incapable of plotting to kill her. They maintain Love, of Cockeysville, Md., died from a cardiopulmonary failure caused in part by Adderall and alcohol.

They also said the blood found at the base of Love's brain wasn't caused by Huguely but by forceful attempts to resuscitate her.]/quote]

Yea, OK.

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

I think they're reaching pretty hard, honestly, in trying to shine light on some sort of motive. Citing motive is in itself an implication that the crime was premeditated in some way. I haven't even heard anyone suggest that before this article. The kid, and most of his friends, were raging alcoholics. If they were anything like many other social circles at UVa, everyone was pretty much drunk all day and all night for long stretches of the semester. Sometimes they inevitably go over their tolerance and lose control completely. This kid did that and crossed the lines in the worst way imaginable and will probably pay the price for it with his life, or a long stretch of it. But to paint him as a pre-meditative murderer is to ignore the context of the incident within the scene that Huguely and Love were a part of.
Come on now man, you know that isn't true. Didn't you go here (might be someone else I'm thinking of)? 
UVa is very much a good ol' boy school. But there are few people who roll like that. And practically none who are on the level of what George was. 

He's going to be convicted of involuntary manslaughter and get the max on top of the robbery charges. He'll be out having served his 85% mandated term. So something like 10-12 years.

Originally Posted by NobleKane

only second degree?
I think it's appropriate. The email prior to her death was the closest they were going to get to proving that he planned to kill her that night.
My personal thoughts? I think he went there, snapped, and decided to kill her. Therefore should have gotten first degree, but that's impossible to prove. 

Originally Posted by DaJoka004

only second degree?
I think it's appropriate. The email prior to her death was the closest they were going to get to proving that he planned to kill her that night.
My personal thoughts? I think he went there, snapped, and decided to kill her. Therefore should have gotten first degree, but that's impossible to prove. 
I just saw the verdict and figured there would be something about it on here.  I agree with what you said, unfortunately, and I mean that in the sense that I think he should've gotten 1st degree but it couldn't be proven.  I hope he gets the maximum sentence.

Originally Posted by DaJoka004

only second degree?

that's not 1st degree murder though...

Hopefully this clown takes the years he has in prison to do some serious reflection and growing up. He has many years to do so. What a waste.

Have people saying he should have gotten first-degree murder actually read the definition of that crime under Virginia laws, or are you just basing your opinion on what the case "feels" like?

Do people actually think this was a willful, deliberate, premeditated murder?

Back
Top Bottom