***VIBRAM FIVEFINGERS*** Voted best invention of 2007 by Time Magazine - - - True or False?

first i heard about these. i think im gonna stop by sports chalet to check em out on the way home from the office today. these look intriguing. I've been looking for a good pair of amphibious shoes i can wear when I go camping so I can go for a nice 3-5 mile run and then jump in the river and float back to my campsite. hopefully these will do the trick

Originally Posted by KICKINHEADZ1010

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

Originally Posted by retro23phan

i own the sprints and the mocs.
i dont even want to go into how many necks they break. kobes, jordans and lebrons cant even compare
when im at the gym doing legs: squats, calves, and lunges (oh man). it is legit.
No offense but this might not be a good sort of neck-breaking. I see a dude at the gym that wears it and I look at him more like "what the hell are those" than "wow those are cool." Not that I'm saying it's a bad look, but it just seems like more of an attention-seeking look than anything. I'd never wear them because I wouldn't want people constantly looking at my feet and asking me about them. 
Who cares what they're thinking... are we to the point where we live our lives to pacify others 
laugh.gif
?
Uhh... are we at the point that we think disliking constant attention equals living life to pacify others? 

i do alot of running and sprinting as part of my workouts and was looking for something like this.

thanks for the link. Might purchase a pair soon

Guessing wearing socks with these wont work (unless they're the ones with the toes...) So wouldnt they funk up with all the activity going on while rockin these?

EDIT: Just read that they are machine washable
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by WearinTheFourFive

When I saw the title, I thought TIME gave an award to one of those mini vibrators that go on your finger.

same here... thought it was gonna be a vibrating hand glove... wait that gives me an idea!

idea_bulb.jpg

Originally Posted by Food4Thgt

moz-screenshot.jpg
moz-screenshot-1.jpg
nike-free.jpg

So what the hell was the nike free runners for ??
Yea Nike is trying to hop on the bandwagon... I think they realize that all this "padding" and "cushioning" that they've been promoting over the years is actually bad for your joints when running. Slowly transitioning away from that. I'm sure someone else can chime in.
I admit the vibrams look kinda "silly" because we're not used to that, but I'm sure adults can handle it.
hmm Nike Free 5.0 came out before that ugly fivefinger shoes though.

Originally Posted by ACBboyz84

Originally Posted by Food4Thgt

moz-screenshot.jpg
moz-screenshot-1.jpg
nike-free.jpg

So what the hell was the nike free runners for ??
Yea Nike is trying to hop on the bandwagon... I think they realize that all this "padding" and "cushioning" that they've been promoting over the years is actually bad for your joints when running. Slowly transitioning away from that. I'm sure someone else can chime in.
I admit the vibrams look kinda "silly" because we're not used to that, but I'm sure adults can handle it.
hmm Nike Free 5.0 came out before that ugly fivefinger shoes though.
Correct. Nike Free 5.0 V2 was released in 2006. And you just KNOW they would have been working on the development of it for years.

Nike don't jump on bandwagons.

My wife has a pair and likes them.

I would really like a pair but I have kind of wide feet and I don't think they'd work.

The Free's are a similar idea - but all the reviews I've read say they don't work nearly as well. The point of these barefoot shoes isn't just to let your foot move naturally (which Free's do) but is also that they should be just a puncture resistant layer so that you have to run differently - with cushioning you can just pound your feet into the ground. I have to move a little differently with Free's - but it's still not quite like bare feet.

Ive been looking for a solid pair of running/gym/hiking/camping/biking shoes for a while now...as funky as these things look they have my interest...i hate the feeling of something in between my toes though. What retail stores have these? Id like to try them on before i throw out $95 in case i hate them. 

Originally Posted by Fade On You

Ive been looking for a solid pair of running/gym/hiking/camping/biking shoes for a while now...as funky as these things look they have my interest...i hate the feeling of something in between my toes though. What retail stores have these? Id like to try them on before i throw out $95 in case i hate them. 
i highly recommend trying them out in stores. im a size 9 in mens and i wore a M40. my friend is a size 9 and he bought a M43. Do the store locator and find one closest to you. I believe such stores as REI, sports authority etc. carry them.

in your case the sprint is the best bet:
SPRINT IS BEST FOR: Light Trekking, Climbing, Canyoneering, Running, Fitness Training, Martial Arts, Yoga, Pilates, Sailing, Boating, Kayaking, Canoeing, Surfing, Flats Fishing, Travel

Originally Posted by Mitchellicious

These things look so uncomfortable. I hate the feeling of things between my toes.

I own 4 pairs, 2 in solid rotation with 2 on ice for backup. Originally designed as a deck shoe for yachting crews soon found great acceptance in the parkour/free running community & then transferred over to the powerlifting/athletic community. I can hands down say I love them.

*At first I thought I would hate the feeling of wearing something BETWEEN my toes too, but as I got accustomed to wearing them, they have helped immensely in the weight room with their "court feel" It's like lifting barefoot but you're wearing a shoe that looks like a slipper with articulated toes.

Before I used to lift in Nike Aquasocks I scored from the Kissimee outlet like a decade ago & since I have switched over, no looking back. Granted I do get asked about my shoes but face it they are pretty freaky looking.

Nonetheless, it's about picking the right tool (in this case, shoe) for the job. Wearing them gives me serious support in terms of reminding me to execute the lift with proper form since there is no "AIR" or cushioning to impede the biofeedback from your feet, and how much work they're doing.

For those that know all power in sports basically is generated drawn up through your feet. I'm killing it on my deadlift, squats, front squats, etc.

For all the guys queasy about their "look" you do you, carry on & respect, although those that inquire with the intent of mockery all I gotta ask is why ask why? I'm getting stronger & beastlike & you're checking out my shoes? It's not for the attention because that gets old fast, young man.

I get the same looks when I wear my Foams into the office "Oh look, Jay's in his spaceboots again" I tell them where to go.

I wear Vibram KSOs for their functionality & their purpose, to help me kill it in the weight room. Some guys use Chuck Taylors, I use these for lifting. It's a shoe model with that love hate thing going for it & unless your feet are truly messed up & disproportionate a model will fit you.

Granted, when I don't have them with me I lift in Nike Free 5.0s, TR models, etc. but if you want a serious lifting shoe either these OR Chuck Taylors will do you fine. I know we're all a bunch of shoeheads on this site mostly dedicated to Nike but even this model has the Nike Free series beat overall.

As for being called Flipper? LOL sticks & stones, yo. I'm probably warming up with that hater's max.
roll.gif

To help out people further just Google "Vibram FiveFingers, KSO, or Sprint" Going for about $80 USD, here in Toronto they ran me about $90 CDN. Word to the wise this is a shoe you BEST TRY ON FIRST before online shopping if at all possible for best fit - also, these babies usually sell out ASAP so get in there if you are serious.

I found my 3rd pair while on Kuaui during my honeymoon - my wife was like "You are NOT going to buy those; we're on our honeymoon" & I was like "Watch me"
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by retro23phan

Originally Posted by Fade On You

i highly recommend trying them out in stores. im a size 9 in mens and i wore a M40. my friend is a size 9 and he bought a M43. Do the store locator and find one closest to you. I believe such stores as REI, sports authority etc. carry them.

in your case the sprint is the best bet:
SPRINT IS BEST FOR: Light Trekking, Climbing, Canyoneering, Running, Fitness Training, Martial Arts, Yoga, Pilates, Sailing, Boating, Kayaking, Canoeing, Surfing, Flats Fishing, Travel
Good looking out!! Just found a store thats about 12 miles from me. Looks like ill be making a trip
pimp.gif

The regular ones look a bit like ladies 'flats' but they have a bunch of styles now. I would rather have a pair with a top on them - especially if I'm not going to be wearing socks with them.

I like the look of these ones a lot:

157eqlw.jpg

2yxi61w.jpg

9ho2vc.jpg

I think I'd rather have something in that sort of fabric too - like a sneaker. Although less waterproof neoprene can smell pretty bed after a while.

Back
Top Bottom