***VIBRAM FIVEFINGERS*** Voted best invention of 2007 by Time Magazine - - - True or False?

There is a dude at my gym that wears these and i never knew what they were i always used to see him in them and stare at his feet. He is short and jacked. These shoes make him look like a little monkey.

I really don't care how comfortable or awesome they are. They are hideous....beyond hideous even. There is no way that they can compensate for their looks with comfort.

Me and my air max 360s will continue to go to the gym and giggle at the monkey

Originally Posted by Jking0821

Me and my air max 360s will continue to go to the gym and giggle at the monkey

laugh.gif

So you laugh at the guy wearing the best shoes for working out that look different? While you wear something that is barely even an athletic shoe but you think it looks good?

There's a store down the street that sells those, but i haven't tried a pair on yet.

Maybe I'll add that to my list of things to do this weekend since I'm running more now and these are supposed to be better for your feet and legs.

I'm about to buy a pair of these, I've just gotta hit my 200 mile mark and I'm off to REI to pick a pair up. These have been all the rage lately with certain "underground" barefoot enthusiasts. I've run a couple races and I'm seeing dudes wearing these 13+ miles.

Yes exactly. I am not running long distances on my bare feet. I run long distances in a straight line. I need cushioning. I own a pair of Nike free trainers and after mile 3 my feet start hurting.

Originally Posted by DanzInRealLife

Originally Posted by ACBboyz84

Originally Posted by KICKINHEADZ1010

Originally Posted by Food4Thgt

moz-screenshot.jpg
moz-screenshot-1.jpg
nike-free.jpg

So what the hell was the nike free runners for ??
Yea Nike is trying to hop on the bandwagon... I think they realize that all this "padding" and "cushioning" that they've been promoting over the years is actually bad for your joints when running. Slowly transitioning away from that. I'm sure someone else can chime in.
I admit the vibrams look kinda "silly" because we're not used to that, but I'm sure adults can handle it.
hmm Nike Free 5.0 came out before that ugly fivefinger shoes though.
Correct. Nike Free 5.0 V2 was released in 2006. And you just KNOW they would have been working on the development of it for years.

Nike don't jump on bandwagons.

Yeah, Nike been had them out.

Yes exactly. I am not running long distances on my bare feet. I run long distances in a straight line. I need cushioning. I own a pair of Nike free trainers and after mile 3 my feet start hurting.

But, the theory is that you only need cushioning because you run badly. If you read a lot of the info on different styles you can see that they move completely differently - you're not pounding your feet into the pavement at all.

One of my favorite runners to watch is Roger Bannister - and he was obviously pretty quick. He was just so smooth - running on a cinder track basically in leather slippers. If you watch you can see that he never lands with a straight leg - when his leg is out in front of him his knee is bent so it absorbs the impact.

phpINnRoD

Yeah Iv played soccer my whole life and have had knee and ankle problems. As most of us soccer players have. So I just need something to cushion my joints when I'm tired and running like an elephant. (def don't have that kind of stamina)

I get your point because long distance runners still wear small thin light shoes with not that much ccushioning. But just not my cup of tea

Yeah Iv played soccer my whole life and have had knee and ankle problems. As most of us soccer players have. So I just need something to cushion my joints when I'm tired and running like an elephant. (def don't have that kind of stamina)

I get your point because long distance runners still wear small thin light shoes with not that much ccushioning. But just not my cup of tea
Fair enough but leave the "monkey" alone, go drink your tea. At least he's got it right in terms of aiding his performance by having the right equipment for LIFTING, although with the right training running in these might just do you some good if your knees & ankles aren't that busted. 
Check this out: http://www.sciencedaily.c...2010/01/100127134241.htm

Also check out the book "Born To Run" by Christopher McDougall who researches possibly the best relatively unknown long distance runners in the world, the Tarahumara tribe, who basically run in slipper like sandals. Ironically, if the name sounds familiar Nike ripped it off to name one of their shoes the Air Humara, lol. 

It may enlighten you on why these kicks are in stride right now & why some (I emphasize some) people are getting off the fully cushioned running shoe train.

Other barefoot alternative shoes:

Terra Plana - Vivo Barefoot

vivo01.jpg

3773320331_0617bc917e.jpg

Feelmax Panka:
feelmax06.jpg

Feelmax Niesa:

41mjWyuC-XL.jpg

Zinetic Pocket Slippers:

meadowclose2.jpg

Terra Plana - Dopie

yellow-flip-flops.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

Terra Plana - Dharma

1029_blackcanvas_n.jpg

947_browntumbled_n.jpg

Terra Plana - Lesotho

1038_dkbrnvegtan_m.jpg

1038_dkbrnvegtan_n.jpg

Soft Star - Viley

250_vlyA_cho_frn.jpg

Soft Star - Rambler

250_rambA_blk_frn.jpg

Sanuk - Sidewalk Surfer

24ee668be22fd98ab10d02ff121d726f.jpg

Inov-8 - F-Lite 230

6a00d8341bf90553ef0120a5234111970b-800wi

Asics - Tai Chi

2701992825_a7324d5154.jpg

Feelmax - Kuusa

dsc_0013.jpg
dsc_0015-1.jpg

Just got my pair in. Got the sprints. LOVE them so far. I have very symmetrical feet and toes... so much so that I can fit into the show without using my hands (I have to use my hands for the strap though). Overall, I love the way they feel. IT'S LITERALLY LIKE BEING BAREFOOT... that's the best way to explain it I guess. They're so light that you can forget you have anything on. It feels so much better than wearing a typical shoe because your toes have so much more freedom. Will give a better review and provide pics later.

Just got my pair in. Got the sprints. LOVE them so far. I have very symmetrical feet and toes... so much so that I can fit into the show without using my hands (I have to use my hands for the strap though). Overall, I love the way they feel. IT'S LITERALLY LIKE BEING BAREFOOT... that's the best way to explain it I guess. They're so light that you can forget you have anything on. It feels so much better than wearing a typical shoe because your toes have so much more freedom. Will give a better review and provide pics later.
nice man. sprints are the way to go. its the best out of the collection in my opinion. i just wish there were more colorways, i would cop more.

Originally Posted by retro23phan

nice man. sprints are the way to go. its the best out of the collection in my opinion. i just wish there were more colorways, i would cop more.
Yea, I went with them because they are so versatile. Got the Tan/Green/Camo looking color... not sure the name.

Yea, I went with them because they are so versatile. Got the Tan/Green/Camo looking color... not sure the name.
i like to use my sprints to wear to work/gym/run. but i use my mocs mainly for the gym. if you are a gym rat like me, go with the mocs. its more comfortable.

i like to use my sprints to wear to work/gym/run. but i use my mocs mainly for the gym. if you are a gym rat like me, go with the mocs. its more comfortable.
LOL I see your Sprints & raise you my KSOs. For real the upper foot coverage on the KSOs made me a believer in terms of comfort after my first 2 pairs of Sprints. Maybe in the summer I'll break those back out again.

i got a pair of sprints two years ago. theyre pretty awesome. can't say i wear them often though.

Back
Top Bottom