Vick to resign with Nike

Nike: We Don't Have Contract With Vick

Published: Thursday, 1 Oct 2009 | 8:57 AM ET

A day after an official with the agency that represents Michael Vick told a crowded conference in New YorkCity that Vick had recently re-signed withNike [NKE 64.70 --- UNCH (0) ], a Nike spokesman told CNBC that the company has no agreement with the backup Philadelphia Eagles quarterback.

"Nike does not have a contractual relationship with Michael Vick," Nike spokesman Kejuan Wilkinssaid, in a statement. "We have agreed to supply product to Michael Vick as we do a number of athletes who are not under contract with Nike."

On Wednesday, Mike Principe, the managing director of BEST, which represents Vick, announced that Nike wasback with Nike. The comments were made at the Relay Sports Symposium in New York - an event hosted by the SportsBusiness Journal.

In 2007, Nike terminated Michael Vick's contract after he was indicted on charges of running adogfighting ring.
Vick had five signature shoes made for him by Nike, the last one never hit shelves.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/33117603

Rock I respect your opinion 100%, and your argument was well put

Lazy B, I'm not defending sex offenders at all.

I'm a cop. Trust me. I'm not defending them. I'm using it as a comparison argument for people saying "Everyone can learn from their mistakesand deserves a second chance". They're scum.

Rock, I guess thats just my "5-0" mentality talking. If he endures and comes out of this a better person, so be it. But I will not be a fan of his.

on another note, from Profootballtalk.com

On Wednesday, word emerged that Eagles quarterback Mike Vick has renewedacquaintances with Nike.

Mike Principe, whose agency represents Vick for marketing purposes, said that Vick has signed an endorsement deal with Nick.

Agent Joel Segal said that Vick is "excited to be part of the Nike team again," but Segal said that Vick and Nike agreed not to discuss the detailsof the arrangement.

Nike apparently didn't get the memo.

Darren Rovell of CNBC reports that a Nike spokesman says the company has no agreement with Vick. Instead, Nikeis simply giving Vick free product.

"Nike does not have a contractual relationship with Michael Vick," Nike spokesman Kejuan Wilkins told Rovell in a statement. "We have agreed tosupply product to Michael Vick as we do a number of athletes who are not under contract with Nike."

Says Rovell on his Twitter page, "I knew this was all bogus."

The purpose of the ruse is obvious. Principe and Segal, buoyed by the lack of criticism and/or outcry regarding Vick as he embarks on the second phase of hiscareer, opted to take a liberty with reality, presumably in the hopes that the vague suggestion that Nike has re-embraced Vick might prompt other potentialendorsers to follow suit.

But they didn't count on the negative reaction to the impression that Nike was paying Vick in an economic environment where shoe deals have become scarce. And so Nike, which might have initially agreed to stay silent in response to whatever Vick's camp said about the situation, needed to set the recordstraight.

Bottom line? Vick's camp needs to continue to urge Mike to remain humble. The apparent fact that his arrangement with Nike was deliberately distorted bythose around him makes us wonder how hard he's pressing them behind the scenes to shake the trees that previously dropped cash-filled apples onto his feet.

everybody deserve a second chance
happy.gif

Originally Posted by ZombieJesus12

Originally Posted by srr1175

see my sig and add Vick to it..........

Not to start the whole debate, but.... pigs are smarter than dogs + NFL plays with pig skin = boycotting one NFL team for dogs dying and supporting other NFL teams means you still support animal cruelty and death. Sorry.

ur wrong NFL footballs are made of leather and a rubber bladder. A long time ago the bladder was from a pig and they would use leather or pig skin. There'sno pig in the NFL footballs. I don't see why vick has all this buzz. He is a 3rd string QB with 7 yards. Good for him making a comeback though.

Originally Posted by DownyBoy

Nike: We Don't Have Contract With Vick

Published: Thursday, 1 Oct 2009 | 8:57 AM ET

A day after an official with the agency that represents Michael Vick told a crowded conference in New York City that Vick had recently re-signed with Nike [NKE 64.70 --- UNCH (0) ], a Nike spokesman told CNBC that the company has no agreement with the backup Philadelphia Eagles quarterback.

"Nike does not have a contractual relationship with Michael Vick," Nike spokesman Kejuan Wilkins said, in a statement. "We have agreed to supply product to Michael Vick as we do a number of athletes who are not under contract with Nike."

On Wednesday, Mike Principe, the managing director of BEST, which represents Vick, announced that Nike was back with Nike. The comments were made at the Relay Sports Symposium in New York - an event hosted by the SportsBusiness Journal.

In 2007, Nike terminated Michael Vick's contract after he was indicted on charges of running a dogfighting ring.
Vick had five signature shoes made for him by Nike, the last one never hit shelves.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/33117603
Thats what I Twitted..lol...

But yeah. A Product Contract is a Contract and Vick will be getting MUCH love from the Swoosh. Its a PR move on both sides.and to the comment of the last Vicknever released... consider it the 1st LT ever produced with some changes....
wink.gif

But trust Kenzo has some stuff up his sleeve when Vick is all well and good...

Originally Posted by srr1175

see my sig and add Vick to it..........
such a douche....

Originally Posted by clkru

As an animal lover, Vick still makes me sick to my stomach BUT he paid his debt to our society within the scope of US law and should be allowed to move on.
finally... some sense to this conversation... son paid his time... he should be able to move on...

Is it really that bad of a thing that nike, a company he made millions of dollars for, is going to supply him with his shoes/cleats. Where was all the hatewhen the NFL had his jersey in stores all around philly two days after he signed when he was still suspended. They knew it didnt matter if he couldn't playthe first two weeks they would still bank money on em. He spent two years in prison and lost untold amounts of money so I say if Nike wants to help him out nowafter all he did for them it is only right and makes good business sense. If mike can keep it together and see the field a little bit more when donovan getsback and they end up winning the super bowl or going deep in the playoffs then both qb's on the field for the eagles are wearing nikes and next year maybethey can release another vick shoe. Even if he is not starting he has already proven he can still sell merchandise that carries his name. Nike could evenrelease a low speed version for the wildcat vick and a mid-cut for qb vick.

Originally Posted by jmizzo

i just heard on ESPN that the Eagles are shopping Vick for a trade....
As they should. Kolb is a solid backup.

As for these Nike product deal, thats what makes more sense. I was shocked by that headline yesterday.

Nike has gone soft. It doesn't surprise me at all. This was the company that had Georgetown repping their brand, when they were fighting and intimidatingother teams every game. Back when they had Micheal Graham, they'd walk right up to an opponent, punch'em in the face, then win the game.
laugh.gif
Nike used to be 'bout it, now they are scared of PETA and those Right WingChristian groups. It's no wonder that Nike isn't taken seriously anymore.

Nike doesn't stand for anything anymore, but a pair of One Hundred Sixty Dollar shoes.

Students who bang teachers can't teach in school again. Even if it's their "craft and skill".
The reason why Vick can come back and teachers can't is simple teachers are a dime a dozen but nfl players like Vick aren't (at least tothe cats that sign the checks) I don't see why people don't get that. Emotional cats ftl.

Originally Posted by Dark Chocolate

Nike has gone soft. It doesn't surprise me at all. This was the company that had Georgetown repping their brand, when they were fighting and intimidating other teams every game. Back when they had Micheal Graham, they'd walk right up to an opponent, punch'em in the face, then win the game.
laugh.gif
Nike used to be 'bout it, now they are scared of PETA and those Right Wing Christian groups. It's no wonder that Nike isn't taken seriously anymore.

Nike doesn't stand for anything anymore, but a pair of One Hundred Sixty Dollar shoes.

Times are very different, you can't compare the two scenarios.

Okay, what Vick did was wrong, no doubt, but he's paid his debt to society. Hell we have killers of human beings on the playing fields and they've hadless scrutiny than Vick. Now as for a dog's life being more valuable than a pig, that can go on for debate forever. BUT i see it like this. They may usethe pigskin for football, but at least the rest of the pig is used for food.

Originally Posted by DownyBoy

Originally Posted by Dark Chocolate

Nike has gone soft. It doesn't surprise me at all. This was the company that had Georgetown repping their brand, when they were fighting and intimidating other teams every game. Back when they had Micheal Graham, they'd walk right up to an opponent, punch'em in the face, then win the game.
laugh.gif
Nike used to be 'bout it, now they are scared of PETA and those Right Wing Christian groups. It's no wonder that Nike isn't taken seriously anymore.

Times are very different, you can't compare the two scenarios.

I'm not comparing the scenarios. I am simply staing that Nike has lost its bballs to go against the grain. They are a scaredy cat company now, simply in itfor the bottom line. That's cool, but it doesn't say much about nike. reebok stood by Allen Iverson, even after he threw his wife out of the house,while she was naked. It's too late for nike to look like the good guy, not while consistently charging damn near 200 dollars for shoes, even duringhorrible financial times.

Nike is soft now, punk panty waste soft.

reebok stood by Allen Iverson, even after he threw his wife out of the house, while she was naked.
GREAT example because Reebok is such an outstanding company and AI is certainly a person worth backing up and fighting for (I'm sure he'ddo the same for you in a heartbeat). Except that Reebok kinda failed as a company and was purchased by adidas in 2005, AND that AI is a questionablepersonality (at best) who seems to become toxic to EVERY team and teammate he's ever played with in the NBA (just wait till Memphis blows up ineveryone's faces like Philly, Denver, and Detroit did).

Nike is the most successful athletic shoe and apparel company in the world that has made valid efforts to address and refine its approach to business ethicswhenever they are called into question. What you regard as weakness, I regard as strength, awareness, and intelligence.

I applaud Nike for the way they've handled the Michael Vick issue.

Now Nike reps lying about the LeBron VII's hitting NikeiD earlier this week is another story completely...

Originally Posted by clkru

reebok stood by Allen Iverson, even after he threw his wife out of the house, while she was naked.
GREAT example because Reebok is such an outstanding company and AI is certainly a person worth backing up and fighting for (I'm sure he'd do the same for you in a heartbeat). Except that Reebok kinda failed as a company and was purchased by adidas in 2005, AND that AI is a questionable personality (at best) who seems to become toxic to EVERY team and teammate he's ever played with in the NBA (just wait till Memphis blows up in everyone's faces like Philly, Denver, and Detroit did).

Nike is the most successful athletic shoe and apparel company in the world that has made valid efforts to address and refine its approach to business ethics whenever they are called into question. What you regard as weakness, I regard as strength, awareness, and intelligence.

I applaud Nike for the way they've handled the Michael Vick issue.

Now Nike reps lying about the LeBron VII's hitting NikeiD earlier this week is another story completely...
There is no doubt that Iverson is a cancer, there is no doubt that Reebok isn't as popular as nike either. However, that is not the point.They were bought out by Adidas, but what dies that have to do with being loyal to a dude that has gone though a rough period? The best thing Nike could do isput out a press release saying that they are good with Vick trying to get it together, he did his time, paid the price, we support him in moving forward.

BUT!!!!

Nike tucked tail, then ran. Denial, and then a national statement suggesting that Vick is repping Nike for free.

Please! Nike is punk puddy on this one. Man up Nike!

First he is, then he isn't, then he is again...

Who cares?

Honest opinion, he's cancer, and Nike should back off.

He can go wear Randy Moss Pony's.

I guess Nike was impressed by Vick's 0-2 7 yds rushing performance and felt the need to snatch him up

Back
Top Bottom