• U.S. Cellular

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Straight Talk

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
$400 should be the cap on what to pay for a phone.

strong this. nexus 6p was expensive imo, but its approaching the $400 mark so itll soon be worth the cop.

the 5x is a solid phone, i got it for my girl and her sister. its quick, makes good calls, 32gb, stereo speakers, sony cam sensor, fast fingerprint reader, and will see continuous updates direct from google for while before its officially antiquated. and that phone was like $200 $250 (based of recent purchases).

its a phone. not a desktop. you shouldn't need desktop level power to run a mobile OS, at the risk of compromising battery power and driving up costs.

sidenote...android has gotten pretty feature rich to the point where i think the avg consumer cannot keep up. any mobile carrier employees can check me on this, but id wager more people will come in with problems that are actually pretty easy to fix. android i think has, to some small degree, gotten a bit less user friendly.

remember when you used to sign up for a 2 year contract and pay only like $99 for a premium phone? or even get it for "free?"

I heard Google isn't supporting the Nexus line anymore because of the Pixel. Like most updates no nothing.

I heard Google isn't supporting the Nexus line anymore because of the Pixel. Like most updates no nothing.

That's false.

As Nexus users, you’ve played an integral role in this journey for Google. We’re excited about Pixel, and want you to know that (1/2)
— Nexus (@googlenexus) October 4, 2016
We’ll continue to support Nexus (customer support, software updates, etc.) & @googlenexus will continue to be a place for Nexus convos (2/2) https://t.co/BhgVcH1P56
— Nexus (@googlenexus) October 4, 2016

Camera wise, Nokia is king. Always has been, probably always will be..

Nokia still makes phones. No one really pays attention to them cuz everything about them outside of their camera sucks. :lol: Their camera has always been Nokia's main focus, so they're the best when it comes to that. That's just the only thing they're good at right now. :lol:

Idk Nokia is irrelevant. They had a choice to embrace android, and they were doing such a horrible job with Symbian. Instead they backed winmo.

10 years ago (right before the first iPhone dropped) if you would have told me that windows mobile, blackberry, and Nokia would be dead, HTC and Sony phones would be irrelevant and Apple and Google would be dominating 98% of the phone scene, I would have laughed my *** off.

Last edited:
remember when you used to sign up for a 2 year contract and pay only like $99 for a premium phone? or even get it for "free?"

Yep, then I would get a discount on my plan too with Sprint 25% off every bill

For those copping via VZW, Google will not be handling software upgrades for the Pixel, VZW will :smh:

Last edited:
We all know how good Verizon is with updates. Not sure why Google is allowing this. Verizon iPhone switchers going to the Pixel are gonna swear to never go back to Android cause of the lack of updates.

We all know how good Verizon is with updates. Not sure why Google is allowing this. Verizon iPhone switchers going to the Pixel are gonna swear to never go back to Android cause of the lack of updates.
sad to say, even as a T-mobile person, Verizon has the biggest network and largest customer base. I think Google wants to appeal to the most customers possible.

sad to say, even as a T-mobile person, Verizon has the biggest network and largest customer base. I think Google wants to appeal to the most customers possible.
Verizon is notoriously horrible for Bring Your Own Device customers. This will ensure that people will actually buy the Pixel.

I'm also a tmobile guy but without a doubt Verizon has the best service. But Google is making a mistake letting them handle updates, if they want to even try to compete with Apple why not be like Apple and control updates? Especially with Verizon terrible track record on updates

Sharp's concept phone

Sharp has a knack for making phone displays with tiny bezels, as seen in the US a couple of years ago with the Aquos Crystal, but the company has upped its game in a big way and I want this display on a phone immediately. This concept is called the Corner R and uses the company's Free-Form Display technology, which enables IGZO LCD panels to be cut into various shapes.

Aside from the near-total lack of bezels, this 5.2-inch 1080p panel stands out with the way its corners have actual curves. Remember how OS X — sorry, macOS — used to render little black notches in the upper left and right to give the impression of a physically rounded screen? This is like that, only for real.

Sharp seems to have difficulty helping its Free-Form Displays make the leap from trade show floor to retail, but this Corner R concept should be an easier sell. It's still not an actual product, though, so the wait goes on.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/7/13197354/sharp-corner-r-curved-screen-phone-concept

Last edited:
damn samsung, back at it again with da exploding replacement phone for da previous exploding note 7's.
props for moving this one to taiwan tho.

A replacement model of the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 smartphone exploded in Taiwan on Friday while its user was walking her dog in a park, local newspaper Apple Daily reported on Saturday.

According to the report, a 26-year-old woman surnamed Lai was walking her dog in a park in Taipei when she realized smoke was spewing from her replacement Note 7, which Lai said she had picked up just 10 days ago.

Lai said she quickly pulled the phone from her jeans pocket and threw it on the ground, then waited until the smoke cleared before picking the phone up and taking it back to her workplace in her phone case, the report said.

Apple Daily cited the woman as saying that she heard a "bang" before feeling heat on her buttocks and seeing a lot of white smoke billowing from the phone after taking it out of her pocket.

The woman said she purchased a Galaxy Note 7 in August this year, and exchanged the phone for a replacement model on Sept. 27 after seeing TV reports suggesting that the Note 7 could explode, according to the article.

In a statement issued Saturday, Samsung Taiwan said it was trying to reach the customer and hoped to recall the product and further clarify the cause of the incident.

It said it could not confirm if the phone was a replacement model without looking into the matter.

The incident came just two days after an alleged replacement model of the Note 7 began smoking aboard a Southwest Airlines in the United States on Wednesday, leading the airline to evacuate passengers on the plane.

Taiwan's Consumers' Foundation urged Samsung Taiwan on Saturday to suspend all sales and replacements of the new Galaxy Note 7, because continuing to distribute the model would be like "sending bombs to consumers."

link

da note paper 8 is gonna be a beast with its snapdragon 830, 6gb of ram, 4k display, 64gb internal storage with microSD, force sensitive home button, and 4000 mah removable battery when it drops in january.

Last edited:
This is exactly how I feel

http://bgr.com/2016/10/04/google-pixel-vs-oneplus-3-honor-8-lg-v20/

There's no real advantages. If you're knowledgeable enough to get a Pixel, most likely you know about the OnePlusThree and Huwai.

Idk Nokia is irrelevant. They had a choice to embrace android, and they were doing such a horrible job with Symbian. Instead they backed winmo.

10 years ago (right before the first iPhone dropped) if you would have told me that windows mobile, blackberry, and Nokia would be dead, HTC and Sony phones would be irrelevant and Apple and Google would be dominating 98% of the phone scene, I would have laughed my *** off.

Don't forget Palm. Basically everyone had a Treo, Blackberry or Windows mobile phone.

I knew people who sweared by Nokia's before Android as opposed to Windows mobile.

All of those companies were slow to react to changing technology. HTC had a head start on everyone. Once that HTC Evo 3D dropped everyone ran to the other Android OEMs. They made it easy for Samsung.

That bezel looks great

If a company can design a phone with that bezel size with the buttons on screen, watch out.

Looks dumb imo. The little bit of bezel serves as protection for the digitizer and lcd incase of a drop. Not the intended purpose but thats why so many people are able to use iphones that look like they been smacked by a sledgehammer. I cant help but think the durability of these phones are going to go down as the screen tech matures. Its kinda neat that they might be able to accomplish that on a device but i personally dont need a bezeless screen device considering the extra screen real estate wont be a huge gain.

That's what the iPhone 8 is probably gonna look like. Sharp was always first to the market with the bezeless displays

I need a little bezel to hold the phone on the sides, I like that they got rid of the top bezel though

Back
Top Bottom