Wait...How many MPG?

these ppl who dont live too far from me they have 2 chevy volts, they got em at the sametime too when them joints first came out a blue one and a black one

I seen a volt pull up next to me the other day... it was silent sitting at the red light... 0 sound.. then it pulled off silently... it was kinda dope i suppose

What's your break even for buying a volt vs. a traditional vehicle?
Bro I just googled those numbers. I don't work for Chevy or design Volts or anything
laugh.gif
I should have put "the" instead of "your". I meant it in the general term. Most people only obsess over the MPG of a car instead of factoring in the MPG vs. the breakeven point of the car when paying a premium for the increased mileage.

I do look forward to seeing where this goes though. Hopefully California will smarten up and build more power plants within the state to help with the increased demand of plugin vehicles.

Dude you already lost for paying  $30K for a Chevrolet sedan though. I don't care about its technology that still ******ed. Read an article about the time period it takes to regain your ROI with the price of the vehicle vs. the money you save on gas is on average 10-15 years.

To be honest, it isn't that impressive if you think about it. If a person only goes to work and back and it's only about 30 miles round trip, he can practically just charge the car every night and never have to put gas in it at all for 6 months to a year? It looks like that pic just proves that it can do what it was made to do.

I mean the Tesla Model S takes no gas at all and the cheapest $50k version can go 160 miles per charge and it looks much better and faster than the Volt. And it can seat 7 people in that sedan.

To be honest, it isn't that impressive if you think about it. If a person only goes to work and back and it's only about 30 miles round trip, he can practically just charge the car every night and never have to put gas in it at all for 6 months to a year? It looks like that pic just proves that it can do what it was made to do.

I mean the Tesla Model S takes no gas at all and the cheapest $50k version can go 160 miles per charge and it looks much better and faster than the Volt. And it can seat 7 people in that sedan.
what happens if you are driving and the battery runs out though?

He was talking about the Tesla

Oh, then you have to charge it. :lol:

Or get the $70k version that can go 300 miles.

It's not a car for long road trips, 160 miles is more than enough for most daily driving if you can charge it every night like the Volt or even every other day unlike the Volt.

Electric cars still present an energy and pollution problem...

How do you think we make electricity? Whats going to happen to those batteries in 5, 10, 15 years? How will they be disposed of?

Personally, I believe hydrogen is the solution.

Electric cars still present an energy and pollution problem...

How do you think we make electricity? Whats going to happen to those batteries in 5, 10, 15 years? How will they be disposed of?

Personally, I believe hydrogen is the solution.
Do we want a bunch of Hindenbergs driving around? Plug-in gas electric vehicles with solar panels on the roof pose the best bet IMO. If we can eventually replace gas with natural gas which is much cleaner and cheaper, then we'll have a revolution in the auto industry.

This is the future bros. No matter how bad conservatives try and bash the Volt because of guess who it's a step forward in the right direction. With the energy boom and car companies coming up with new battery technology we should be seeing some major changes in the very near future :smokin

its the future for who? the car is almost $50k... normal people cant afford that especially with the price of gas, groceries, everyday household items, and bills..

You can get a 2011 base Volt for 30-32K bro..There is also a $7500 tax credit. So you can get a 2011 for 25-27

Last edited:
Do we want a bunch of Hindenbergs driving around? Plug-in gas electric vehicles with solar panels on the roof pose the best bet IMO. If we can eventually replace gas with natural gas which is much cleaner and cheaper, then we'll have a revolution in the auto industry.

Yup.

It's all about the LNG. Shell is building a TON of fueling stations across the country. IMO, the availability of LNG to pump is the only thing holding it back. And that's being taken care of as we speak. The real challenge is having a car that gets 50+ MPG but is still a performance beast. 

Screw a performance beast for right now. Gotta walk before you levitate :lol: I'm really torn between which one will dominate, probably because I'm a fan of the plug in hybrids

Last edited:
Screw a performance beast for right now. Gotta walk before you levitate
laugh.gif
I'm really torn between which one will dominate, probably because I'm a fan of the plug in hybrids
The technology is there. It's just a matter of implementing it into the country's infrastructure to be available for wide spread use. I know that my company has two parking spots where you can "fuel" your electric/hybrid vehicle while you work. For free. And the spots are front row right next to the entrance. 

Heavy duty has been using CNG and LNG for a couple years now. A lot of automotive technological applications start in heavy duty trucks. Even though they only get on average 7 MPG, if you put it in terms of MPG per pound, heavy duty blows cars out of the water

The technology is there. It's just a matter of implementing it into the country's infrastructure to be available for wide spread use. I know that my company has two parking spots where you can "fuel" your electric/hybrid vehicle while you work. For free. And the spots are front row right next to the entrance. 

Heavy duty has been using CNG and LNG for a couple years now. A lot of automotive technological applications start in heavy duty trucks. Even though they only get on average 7 MPG, if you put it in terms of MPG per pound, heavy duty blows cars out of the water

Agreed. Also good point about the heavy duty trucks, didn't know that. I'm excited for this new technology though, if we play our cards right this + the energy boom could place the US back on top for a while.

Last edited:
I was under the impression that the Volt is an electric-powered car that uses gas (for the generator) instead of plugging in?

It's all about the LNG. Shell is building a TON of fueling stations across the country. IMO, the availability of LNG to pump is the only thing holding it back. And that's being taken care of as we speak. The real challenge is having a car that gets 50+ MPG but is still a performance beast. 
This is what I've been thinking for a long time.

These companies already have the next-generation of alternative fuel options out there but they're not introducing them until they know they can't promote oil-based solutions anymore. They're probably just tapping the most they can out of existing fuel sources (read: Profit) while setting up for the next wave of products to be released. Thats why they're just sitting on hella patents. 

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom