wale: #ambition - avaialble now!

*insert washington post review here*

I wanted to like this joint, but I don't and I can't...

Tabi's "the summer years" > "ambition"

Best of luck & congrats on the sales projections tho...

Over hyped album, average to decent at best. You can't claim that this is a Reasonable Doubt classic then put out something like this. I supported and bought the album, I just feel like my $10 could've gone to something better. Even The Eleven One Eleven Theory was better than this. Played it once, haven't played it since.

Originally Posted by lavan emanuel

"Tats on my Arms" and "Bait" should definitely be on the regular version of the album.
Ambition would have been great not just good... and Grammy worthy if it had all the following:
Don't Hold Your Applause (thought it was a perfect start to the album)

Double M Genius 

Legendary

Focused feat. Kid Cudi

Chain Music

Bad Girls Club feat. J. Cole

Ambitious Girl 2 (it wasn't the greatest, but you know it would have appealed to the demographic who buys the majority of albums)

Lotus Flower Bomb feat. Miguel

Best Night Ever

Bait

Tats on My Arm feat. Rick Ross

Ambition f. Meek Mill & Rick Ross

Sabotage feat. Lloyd (I'm a fan of the song, production is dope and once again, the demographic who it appeals to)

Podium feat. Black Colbain (I mean, if he's your artist, put him on)

Lacefrontin (if the sample would have cleared)

DC or Nothin

I've copped both albums just "off the strength" even though I've downloaded them. 

I think AD is a pretty good album, but if I could summarize Ambition in a sentence it would be: I feel Ambitionless after listening to the album. I've only given the album three solid listens, so it's possible that I still haven't "gotten it" yet. However, in those three listens, I've found myself asking "what the hell is he talking about" on more than one occassion. One of the big impression I'm left with is that, much like Take Care, Ambition sounds like the same song for a good majority of the album.

Part of the problem, as I see it, is that the title alone invokes a certain expectation. I assumed I would either be inspired by the album or have a better understanding of Wale's ambition or both. But again, that's not the takeaway I'm getting. Using another example, Nas drops "HipHop is Dead." My summary of the album is that he neither proved or disproved the theory. That kind of defeats the purpose in my opinion. If you make a bold statement, back it up. Thus far, Ambition hasn't been able to do that for me.

Another interesting angle is the whole MMG situation. I know he caught heat from leaving the "backpack" for the "Maybach," but I think the whole MMG affiliation also skewed pre-conceptions of the album considering the one-off joints he's been on and the fact that Ross has been pretty consistent in making cohesive albums. So as much as people want to blame Wale, you'd also have to look at the A&R who signed off on the album.

I'm going to give the album a few more full listens before I making my official ruling because sometimes it takes a minute for ##! to sink in or to understand the perspective the artist is coming from. I really hope I "get it."

I'll go the opposite direction on this one. Dudes come a LONG way and just about everyone in this Forum has seen the grind from where he started when Dan was giving away free mixtapes at our DAR/DUY BBALL events to doin local stuff.

I appreciate my man's grind. I understand from a perspective that people have ALWAYS been critical of Wale and his music, but his grind is unmistakable and thats the part I appreciate most about dude.

Yeah... we all can show our @!*# from time to time and have mis perceptions generally speaking.. and at times the best of us give in and let the critics get to you... but I think he's learned like anyone in the entertainment industry....

If you have those that love you and those who critique you it means they are all listening and are following all that you do and thats a positive. I for one didnt really get Wales delivery but loved alot of his production... then understood he had alot of word play and metaphors he was clever with... and some lost me.

But I listened...and listened more because he was a dude I'd met a few times.. knew he was apart of the same forum and shared a love of shoes... and most importantly was from the Urea...... all that grouped with him having the unwavering grind he's hate despite the obstacles and criticism he's gotten to where he is now.

If you give him no other credit give the man at least THAT.

PS. Bait makes me drive fast......lol

he's definitely one of the hardest working guys out right now...

that just didnt show in Ambition IMO...the flow of the album...the choice of tracks for the album...

honestly he can do no wrong music wise to me but that doesnt mean i think this was a great album like i was told it would be

Back
Top Bottom