WALE CHILLIN VIDEO

Bodega got put on before MoCo? Well....

No ill feelings towards Wale, it's good to see him getting some spotlight. I personally don't care for the "Chillin'" single, but thevideo and the song is doing exactly what it's supposed to do.... Big name producers (Cool & Dre) + superstar feature (Lady Gaga) + big name videodirector (Chris Robinson) = MASS APPEAL...

P.S. Dizzy @ 2:28 had me...
roll.gif

Originally Posted by eddiebauer757

Video doesn't match the song at all! Paid Gaga for 6 scenes and only used 1. I know he's going to have some decent songs on the album but if they dont start fitting the videos properly to them then he wont make it past the "Almost cut it" list on 106th & Park.

Dude... the people around you (industry folks) are going to keep you in the hole! You better start climbing out now

smh.gif
So you want a song called "DC Chillin" to be some big budget video or something? Part of it is filmed in the DMV what more do you want....

You gotta understand that this video was shot when dude was on tour...it would have been difficult for the entire thing to get filmed in the DC Area.

Originally Posted by Zachattack32

I've seen you mention long term before, so what exactly do you mean by it and what do you think that Wale should have done??
"Zachattack32,"

It's nothing he can do -- cause he has little power at this point now.

It's just the "new" hip-hop of today, period.

Historically, a hip-hop artist first "official" LP is usually his/her best body of work, regardless of sales.

So....

Trust me, we'll see the change up when them numbers come back short on this single.

Dude is just more talented than what he is being pushed to do nationally to guarantee that instant return of investment, which ain't really a guaranteethese days.

The industry sucks for new hip-hop artists.

Dude is also in the new GQ magazine which is always a good move. I want to watch the joint on TV to get the full effect.

Ok.. some might be shocked about what Im going to say so I will preface it with Im speaking in relative terms:

I like the Video.

Still dont know who the fudge Lady GaGa is other than the side booty shots... and i'd hit it.

I think Wale's Director did alot for the song. Sort of how a Producers beats do alot of a rapper lyrics.

The females def. must have been from Boston. If you dont know you better axe somebody.

I hope one day... an area artist can do a true video with HIS Honda Accord in his Townhouse he shares with his boys.. Ala Redman style and show what its reallylike.

Not hating on the AMG or the Closet scenes... but I'd be uncomfy as an artist doin what everyone else does renting my persona.

But again. I like the Video all in all.

Good to be able to do stuff thats not Go Go related and I admittedly dont listen to much unless its free from Dan or on the Radio which I barely ever listen tonow.

Originally Posted by RockDeep

I hope one day... an area artist can do a true video with HIS Honda Accord in his Townhouse he shares with his boys.. Ala Redman style and show what its really like.
I hope one day that rap artists would quit crapping up their songs talking about material items real or imagined, I had hoped that garbage haddied back around '86-'87 but d-bags like Sean Combs brought it back in the 90's (along with singing on rap tracks UGH make it stop); it's nocoincidence that most hip-hop now that focuses on that type of subject matter flat out sucks.

smh.gif
So you want a song called "DC Chillin" to be some big budget video or something? Part of it is filmed in the DMV what more do you want....
I really want schools to focus on the importance of comprehension skills in grade school because you pretty much inferred what I never said(insert sarcasm everywhere before here)

"and me Cool N Dre get high like planes... standing round in a construction site... but to go watch Bun B eat some chilli eat some chilli eat some chilli!My name wall...... SHHHHHHHH"

I also wanted him to wear 2 Bape zip-up hoodies (just like most of yall secretly do)
laugh.gif

*falls on the floor imagining dudes riding around bumping this song with the windows rolled up so they don't look all CHRIS STOKES after a B2K concert*

Material things being rapped about has always been a part of it...it's nothing wrong with it. It's nobody's goal in life to drive Accords and livein townhouses so how feasible is it to expect people to rap about it. I think for the most part...most rappers DO recall their struggle and TRANSITION into alife of material of things but you're not going to see a rapper consistently talking about things like that.

People lose focus on the most important thing...which is the skill level behind it. I don't care if a dude is rapping about the black man's plight orModel Chicks and Cocaine Bricks...if his bars are right I'll listen. Content is what you make it.

Videos decent but i still don't like the song. I would type my personal thesis, but it would get a response and i won't be back today. To wrap it up,slim needs to bring it two-fold on the next record.

Originally Posted by Im Not You

Material things being rapped about has always been a part of it...it's nothing wrong with it. It's nobody's goal in life to drive Accords and live in townhouses so how feasible is it to expect people to rap about it. I think for the most part...most rappers DO recall their struggle and TRANSITION into a life of material of things but you're not going to see a rapper consistently talking about things like that.

People lose focus on the most important thing...which is the skill level behind it. I don't care if a dude is rapping about the black man's plight or Model Chicks and Cocaine Bricks...if his bars are right I'll listen. Content is what you make it.
Thats youth talking.. but I agree with you ....to an extent.. Its what people want to see and hear.... Stuff they can never get... but most Artistarent even seein the stuff they rap about ya know? I mean the most they get to keep is the clothes.. and I aint mad at em...

But damn I'd be mad having to send that AMG back and leave the house I rented to look cool. But again.. I like the Vid...

You speak of content though as if this is Content new to the masses...While I agree Wale has his own delivery and style. Its not new Content.

But I will say this dude has stayed the course of going far and its more than many other Artist can say about their careers...as much hate and love as herecieves.. at least hes still moving forward.

I look at it this way.. As many shows as he's doing on Tour BEFORE his record comes out....means he's got stacks sitting in his pocket.. OR should.

Material things being rapped about has always been a part of it...it's nothing wrong with it. It's nobody's goal in life to drive Accords and live in townhouses so how feasible is it to expect people to rap about it. I think for the most part...most rappers DO recall their struggle and TRANSITION into a life of material of things but you're not going to see a rapper consistently talking about things like that.

People lose focus on the most important thing...which is the skill level behind it. I don't care if a dude is rapping about the black man's plight or Model Chicks and Cocaine Bricks...if his bars are right I'll listen. Content is what you make it.

Your first statement is false, some of the best rap albums of all time don't go there subject-wise.
If rap is as Chuck D said "The Black CNN" then rapping about bogus material garbage and devoid of any lyrical substance is "The Black JerrySpringer Show" as far as I'm concerned, pure trash.

Originally Posted by The Badgeman

Your first statement is false, some of the best rap albums of all time don't go there subject-wise.
If rap is as Chuck D said "The Black CNN" then rapping about bogus material garbage and devoid of any lyrical substance is "The Black Jerry Springer Show" as far as I'm concerned, pure trash.
How is it false? I said it's always been a part of Hip Hop. I didn't say it was a standard element that EVERYONE practiced.

There are undeniable rap legends who've done the braggadocio, material driven raps.

Like I said...personally content is just what you make it. I'm not really looking to learn anything from a rapper. I'm looking at the mic skillsprimarily.

Is Kane trash?
Wu is some of the hardest ##!$!! ever and they can be found whipping Benzes in the "It's Yours" video.

I just don't understand how people believe if 100% of your material isn't politically driven, social conscious, and thought provoking that it's"trash".

For example...if you tell me that you don't like Jay-Z because you don't like what he talks about...I can't disagree with you...because as Isaid...content is what you make it.
If you tell me that you don't like Jay-Z because he can't rap...then that's just flat out ridiculous however you slice it.

If rap is as Chuck D said "The Black CNN" then rapping about bogus material garbage and devoid of any lyrical substance is "The Black Jerry Springer Show" as far as I'm concerned, pure trash.
How is it false? I said it's always been a part of Hip Hop. I didn't say it was a standard element that EVERYONE practiced.

There are undeniable rap legends who've done the braggadocio, material driven raps.

Like I said...personally content is just what you make it. I'm not really looking to learn anything from a rapper. I'm looking at the mic skills primarily.

Is Kane trash?
Wu is some of the hardest ##!$!! ever and they can be found whipping Benzes in the "It's Yours" video.

I just don't understand how people believe if 100% of your material isn't politically driven, social conscious, and thought provoking that it's "trash".

For example...if you tell me that you don't like Jay-Z because you don't like what he talks about...I can't disagree with you...because as I said...content is what you make it.
If you tell me that you don't like Jay-Z because he can't rap...then that's just flat out ridiculous however you slice it.

I agree.

Like I said...personally content is just what you make it. I'm not really looking to learn anything from a rapper. I'm looking at the mic skills primarily.

Is Kane trash?

I just don't understand how people believe if 100% of your material isn't politically driven, social conscious, and thought provoking that it's "trash".

For example...if you tell me that you don't like Jay-Z because you don't like what he talks about...I can't disagree with you...because as I said...content is what you make it.

Bragging done cleverly in the context of a song and reciting a laundry list of what you wear, drive and live to me are two different things.

Is Kane trash?

Bragging done cleverly in the context of a song and reciting a laundry list of what you wear, drive and live to me are two different things.
And wouldn't that fall under mic skills?

Cleverness can be attributed to having charisma and a strong mic presence

No?

I mean i guess it's all subjective...but content just doesn't hold too much weight with me personally. Chuck D preached a very powerful message...is hebetter a Jay-Z? Can you honestly answer that question "Yes" with a straight face?

Is Kane trash?

And wouldn't that fall under mic skills?

Cleverness can be attributed to having charisma and a strong mic presence

No?

I mean i guess it's all subjective...but content just doesn't hold too much weight with me personally. Chuck D preached a very powerful message...is he better a Jay-Z? Can you honestly answer that question "Yes" with a straight face?

Absolutely I can.
Chuck D trumps Jay Z, lyrically as well as vocally, not to mention in live performance there's no comparison.

I'll concede a message doesn't a strong rapper make but Chuck D was the wrong guy to use as a comparison, at least in my mind I hold him up as the bestever, second maybe to Rakim since he paved the way in phrasing for guys like Chuck to follow so I'm not going to budge too much on that one when he'scompared to anyone else
laugh.gif

i share the same sentiments as many others video could be better, but still dont care for the song

But is he ever gonna come out with a song with out a urban street wear or shoe reference in it?

See, this is the product i'm looking for. Doesn't matter if its heart-felt or braggadocio, go all in. A shame it couldn't get the push"chillin" did.

Back
Top Bottom