Walgreens & Their Theft Policy... What's up w/ it?

I was mainly focused on the perp and only saw employees in the background but were there cops or just Walgreens security? If it was the latter then they were probably following loss prevention protocols which probably wouldn’t want you to confront/get close to someone with a blow torch
Im saying if somebody is setting the store on fire thats not theft, you should atleast CALL the cops. I would hope they would respond to someone with a blow torch in the store.

-1 year for first time offenders and 20 years for second+ time offenders for shoplifting.
-Any weapon used jumps it to the 20 year
-home invasion etc goes straight to 20 year
-Make “good samaritan” laws legal. Can use physical force as a citizen, employee, or security personnel against them (nothing more than a baton as weapon though) and not be held liable for any injuries suffered by the perp.

yeah man the US doesn't put enough people in jail, that's the problem...only 1 in 5 prisoners on Earth is American despite only 1 in 20 people on Earth being American so that's a good solid plan.

yeah man the US doesn't put enough people in jail, that's the problem...only 1 in 5 prisoners on Earth is American despite only 1 in 20 people on Earth being American so that's a good solid plan.

True. Let’s just let them keep robbing and stealing.

True. Let’s just let them keep robbing and stealing.

nah you got it all wrong...these people that steal thousands of dollars from hardworking laborers, raise prices for essential goods, and ruin entire communities with their self-centered conduct should be held accountable.

www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/owed-employers-face-little-accountability-for-wage-theft/

If someone steals money from their employer, they could be guilty of a serious crime. But what if an employer takes money from their employee's paychecks?

There's a good chance they'll get away with it, a CBS News investigation found.

Whether it's paying less than minimum wage, withholding tips or pressuring staff to work off the clock, so-called wage theft siphons billions from Americans' paychecks. Through extensive data analysis and interviews with local, state and federal officials, along with victims of wage theft across the country, CBS News found the systems designed to protect those workers often fail.

CBS found that even when they win their cases, inconsistent enforcement and a patchwork of local, state and federal regulations means many victims are never paid a dime, while others are left waiting months or even years for a resolution.

I mean, why chase scraps when you could attack the thieves' lair directly?

xn2odj790ae81.jpg

[wage theft stats via UCLA Labor Center, other estimates via FBI]

damn near 2 million people in jail (that's about one San Francisco, a Baltimore, and a partial Atlanta) and still doing numbers like this...something ain't adding up.

Equating theft and workplace violations a bit of a leap.

That’s like comparing:
Scenario 1: Someone breaks into your home and steals a few tvs, etc worth $2k.
Scenario 2: You find out your contractor over billed the charges by $5k on a $100k renovation.

I’d want the person in scenario 1 thrown in jail. There is a level of blatant disregard for personal safety (of say a woman and children) when someone breaks and enters your home. I’d be fine with any level of recourse taken because it triggers an immediate response with no time to think or act rationally. This sort of crime creates an environment of fear. People going to want to start putting in video cameras, hiring security patrols, karen, etc etc. You truly don’t know what someone is capable of in these scenarios and there is a real innate fear of it turning beyond theft and into violence.

Second one i’d be mad but id be more than okay handling it rationally through any legal methodology we have set. It’s just money and time wasted.

...then again only you were talking about anyone's home here in the Walgreens thread...you mostly stayed on topic in your first post and I responded to that.

-1 year for first time offenders and 20 years for second+ time offenders for shoplifting.
-Any weapon used jumps it to the 20 year
-home invasion etc goes straight to 20 year
-Make “good samaritan” laws legal. Can use physical force as a citizen, employee, or security personnel against them (nothing more than a baton as weapon though) and not be held liable for any injuries suffered by the perp.

the rest of us were discussing workplaces, and the fact is the most likely person to get robbed in a typical Walgreens is an employee.

...so that's true, I'm all for throwing wage thieves in the slammer.

i was a target last night with my fam. my son and i were in the lego aisle and this dude comes thru and pulls a big magnet thing out of his pocket and reaches for the biggest lego set and jiggles the security straps open. he tries to put the huge lego set in a shopping bag but it's too big and he's struggling. meanwhile, my son is tripping out so we dip from that aisle. there's a worker there calling on a walkie talkie so i'm watching him and he looks at me and says, dude was here 10 minutes ago and now he's back for round 2. i say...he already took one and now he's back?! he says he "can't really do anything". so we go to checkout and i see two big security dudes by the front with their walkie talkies and i ask em...did you get the lego guy? and the big dude says quietly...well, someone got em. my wife laughs real loud and says SOMEONE? what about YOU? and we leave the store and there's no sign of lego dude or any other security.

so i tell my wife to look on amazon for one of those security magnet removers so i can level up the xmas presents this year.

**** was funny to see. they don't do ****.

Target should have a LP department so thats weird that happened. They usually hem you up as soon as you walk out the store. Macy's as well.

What was ole boy stealing from Walgreens that made it even worth that risk :lol:
Most likely Prilosec, it retails for $30 a pop. As long as the total theft doesn't exceed $1000 it's not a felony and you can't go to prison, that's why dude was so brazen. I'm guessing he went directly to a gas station/corner store in the hood and sold everything in bulk for a few hundred dollars.
Dude is setting the store on fire, and actually destroying property cops dont even want to act on that?
From the time someone calls 911 dispatch, it takes about 30-60 seconds to even assign an officer to the call. Then depending on what time of day it might take 2-3 mins for the officer to arrive at which point dude is already gone with the wind.

Brazen dudes like this are only a small minority of shoplifters....more common is people running "routes"....over the course of a day they might hit 10-15 stores grabbing only a single item or two at a time. They can go undetected for years, especially if they ain't got no tattoos, dress normal (no hoodies/sunglasses) and have means of transportation. The pedestrian dudes get pinched too easily cause they repeatedly hit the same stores within a 5 mile radius.

Last edited:
Target should have a LP department so thats weird that happened. They usually hem you up as soon as you walk out the store. Macy's as well.
that’s what’s so frustrating. the store KNEW the dude was stealing high-priced lego sets and did NOTHING.

that’s what’s so frustrating. the store KNEW the dude was stealing high-priced lego sets and did NOTHING.

If it wasn’t in your job description, would you risk your health and safety to prevent someone from stealing? It could be a robbery a story, bank heist, etc. How would react?

If it wasn’t in your job description, would you risk your health and safety to prevent someone from stealing? It could be a robbery a story, bank heist, etc. How would react?
i worked at 7-11 when i was young and when people stole ****, i didn’t say a thing. the difference at target was that the loss prevention people knew they had a dude stealing a big lego set. that’s their damn job. the employee had his walkie talkie and told us that nobody was gonna do **** and the big loss prevention dudes pretty much just shrugged it off. it’s the security dudes that i would think should be doin something?

Gotta stop giving these companies tax breaks and make them feel the hurt when someone steals from them. Most of these companies can easily thwart off the petty theft with new technologies but they rather not pay to upgrade their systems bc they dont have to. Target, Walgreens, etc not being able to stop some crack heads from ripping them off is laughable. Bet you wont see any fiends runnin up on their corporate offices.

You personally feel that specific tax hit huh vs the tax breaks the corporation received?

so like i said let’s keep letting them rob and steal. dunno why we’re going back and forth on this. either lock them up properly or let’s just throw this in the non issue pile and move on. saying what about xyz before we address this isn’t really saying anything. We could play that game at the country level - we spend an inordinate amount on defense spending - that id rather see allocated to early education and healthcare.

to me this is a visceral seen and felt issue and i think it’s hurting our major cities. companies don’t want t do business there. people don’t want to walk around. it’s pure bedlam out in parts of SF.

so like i said let’s keep letting them rob and steal. dunno why we’re going back and forth on this. either lock them up properly or let’s just throw this in the non issue pile and move on. saying what about xyz before we address this isn’t really saying anything. We could play that game at the country level - we spend an inordinate amount on defense spending - that id rather see allocated to early education and healthcare.

to me this is a visceral seen and felt issue and i think it’s hurting our major cities. companies don’t want t do business there. people don’t want to walk around. it’s pure bedlam out in parts of SF.
We're not going back and forth at all. You're just saying extreme, lazy, uncreative, one size fits all things that solve nothing, only create new issues for future generations to solve. I'm not having a discussion with you at all, more just visually scoffing at your nonsense.

Okay. Carry on then. Internet forum scoffing is usually the direct path to problem solving glad you got it figured out.

Back
Top Bottom