**WASHINGTON WIZARDS 2012 Off-Season Thread ** Welcome to DC, Bradley Beal!!

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

'Destroy', though?
laugh.gif
Yes, 'though'...more specifically the individual performance of Seraphin who ate Bynum's lunch. 

*I'll give Wall a pass for last night.  It was a stinker, no doubt.  But he's been amazing for the past month and a half or so.  He'll get back on track.  I'm just glad the rest of the team finally stepped up when his shot wasn't falling. 

Originally Posted by 5am6oody72

BTW John Wall needs to decide whether he wants to be a competitor or not. Games like tonight are not at all what you expect from a #1 draft pick. Dude was literally ghost out there almost the entire night. I know he had 9 assists but it felt like he had very little impact on the game. 

Has he not been competing all year? He had a bad game. What about 98% percent of the rest of the season when he's been one of a handful of guys out there actually giving their all? 

i read on twitter last night that nick young had his first assist since the all star break..
eek.gif
, does dude never pass the rock?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by ireminisce

i read on twitter last night that nick young had his first assist since the all star break..
eek.gif
, does dude never pass the rock?
laugh.gif
- he had a career high 6 assists last night, been in the league 4 years
- one of a few players in NBA history with more career three field goals made than assists
 I think those two things answer your question
laugh.gif

Scott Van Pelt said on his radio show that Nick Young was aiming for the Rock and Jock 20 point basket for that layup
laugh.gif

Wizards (obviously) trying to move Blatche...here are some potential trade partners and an interesting scenario...

Andray Blatche is the only player the Wizards are actively shopping, with Ernie Grunfeld apparently leaving no stone unturned. There are two teams that have been reliably connected with Blatche, although characterizing that connection as interest would be...disingenuous. So here's looking at a couple categories:

How About Your Headache For My Headache?

Tyrus Thomas was acquired from the Bulls for Flip Murray, Acie Law and a future protected first that is increasingly unprotected and valuable the worse the 'cats play. He played well enough to snare a 5 year/$40 million deal and promptly reverted to the uninspired play that led the Bulls to dump him in the first place. Bismack Biyombo has apparently earned his starting spot at Thomas' expense. Charlotte held the advantage before Thomas lost his starting gig, but freshly demoted and with a contract marginally worse, one assumes the Wizards could exert significant control over the terms of the deal. Personally, I say no to change for change's sake and walk away.

Room For One More?

But wait, here's a wrinkle from Alex Kennedy at Hoopsworld via Orlando Pinstriped Post's Evan Dunlap:

The Orlando Magic "will spend the next week and a half" before the March 15th NBA trade deadline trying to acquire players like Steve Nash or Monta Ellis, reports Alex Kennedy of HOOPSWORLD, rather than fielding trade offers for Dwight Howard. "The organization wants to bring in a second star to appease Howard," says Kennedy, "but that’s easier said than done given Orlando’s assets."

The Wizards have trade history with the Magic and the Warriors, and I won't get into why a trade with the Suns isn't going to happen. If Ernie steps in as the third man in a splashy trade, his preferred M.O., suddenly there's something to legitmately have an eye out for. Can the Wizards add enough value on both sides of the equation to make such a trade viable? Could a deadline deal with the Warriors, Magic and Wizards happen where neither Dwight Howard or JaVale McGee gets traded?

The cap limitations are tough. Ellis' contract is prohibitively large; it's difficult to tack other contracts on, especially with the Warriors and Wizards being largely free of toxic assets. It won't be easy, perhaps some universe where the Wiz take on Biedrin's contract in return for Blatche's is enough incentive for Golden State to part with either Ekpe Udoh or Klay Thompson. But for the Warriors to part with Monta Ellis, there will have to be serious value from the Magic and if Ryan Anderson isn't in play that's probably a non-starter. There are a TON of rosterbation options here and while this probably wouldn't be the trade fans are looking for, this is Ernie's M.O. to a T.

Rest of article in link

http://www.bulletsforever...magic#storyjump?tw_p=twt

Sources say that the Washington Wizards are among the teams to express the strongest interest in Bogut, which might be another indication that the Wiz are prepared to part with the enigmatic JaVale McGee, if not before the deadline than during the offseason.

http://www.bulletsforever...rumors-2012-andrew-bogut

Teams have contacted the Wizards about McGee for some time, but the team has been unwilling to consider offers for him. Last summer, Minnesota discussed sending the No. 2 overall pick (which turned out to be Derrick Williams) in exchange for the sixth pick and McGee but the Wizards declined. Oklahoma City reportedly offered the No. 3 pick (which turned out to be James Harden) for McGee and the fifth overall pick before the 2009 draft.

http://www.washingtonpost.../09/gIQAHmoZ1R_blog.html

The Wizards....

I don't know how any of this would work out...but I have a feeling that the Bucks are looking to rid themselves of Stephen Jackson as well.  Would it make sense to do some sort of blockbuster trade where Jackson is the throw-in along w. Ilyasova?  Like I said...I don't know how any of this would work, but if there is any way the Wizards could pry Ilyasova off the hands of the Bucks, I hope they explore all possibilities. 

*edit*

@Carlapeay
Follow

Following

Unfollow

Blocked

Unblock

Pending

Cancel

League sources have confirmed that the #Wizards are getting a lot of interest in 7-footer JaVale McGee. #NBA trade deadline is March 15.

Originally Posted by ryanbbn23

You have to hold onto to Javale. 
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
if we get garbage for javale
Really? 
When Javale McGee is a player that fans feel like is a keeper...things are bad. 

Really bad.

Yet there's another big man from the Class of '08 to keep an eye on: Washington's JaVale McGee.

The Wiz have been shopping Andray Blatche for months with no luck in hopes of truly changing the team culture around prized youngsters John Wall and Jan Vesely. But sources say the Wiz are now weighing whether it's time to finally surrender McGee -- who for all his potential still routinely finds himself at the heart of Washington's ongoing turbulence -- on the condition that his new team take Blatche as well.

http://espn.go.com/nba/da...t-trade-deadline-chatter

Makes NO sense...

NBA Trade Rumors: Could the Washington Wizards Obtain Pau Gasol?

By Brett David Roberts, Yahoo! Contributor Network 3 hours, 8 minutes ago

tweet6
Email
Print

The Washington Wizards have been pretty hapless to say the least, which is frustrating considering the talent point guard John Wall has.

They've failed to surround Wall with much talent, and have tried shopping Andray Blatche, but have been unable to find any takers. The real problem, of course, is that to bring talent in, you must send talent out, and the Wizards have very little of that on their team.

In the summer, free agent Nick Young found out he wasn't quite as desired as he thought he was. The same likely holds true now. No one wants Blatche at all.

They do have the $4.3 million expiring contract of Ronny Turiaf, and Nick Young is an expiring $3 million himself, but Blatche is signed through 2014-2015, at about an average of $7 million per season.

Sure, they'll have a high draft pick, but the Wizards realize that rebuilding, this is more crucial than obtaining immediate help.

Still, Wizards fans and management are tired of losing, and obtaining Lakers forward Pau Gasol, as David Aldridge reports they are trying to, could help put an end to that. The only thing Wall is really missing is passing targets. He's making JaVale McGee look a lot more talented than he actually is (no knock on McGee, he's a solid player) and with a guy like Gasol, he could push the Wizards back to respectability.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ycn-11084104

Unless the Wizards are trying to pull something off where they emulate the C's that won the title a few years back....but obviously, they're missing a "few" pieces

Milwaukee also has discussed various trade scenarios with Washington for Bogut, but while that would be another acceptable destination to the 7-foot Australian, the Wizards' overtures thus far have been shot down. Washington, however, could re-enter the fray depending on how the complicated possibilities with Golden State, Orlando and Houston play out over the next 48 hours.

http://www.cbssports.com/...de-could-hinge-on-dwight

laugh.gif
at DIOR, that was my exact reaction.. literally was smiling from ear to ear when i heard

i can put up with Blatche hanging around, with Nene and Booker there he'll just be warming the bench until his contract is up. McGee and NY were more immediate concerns because they were actually integral parts of our team. they probably singlehandedly had more to do with our record than anyone else.

As pleased as I am to see Nick and JaVale leave town, that would've happened this summer anyway.  
Nick for a 2nd rounder... fine.  It's better than nothing. 

I think Wizards fans will regret the JaVale trade for years to come, however - and not because I think JaVale has any chance of becoming a great player.  

JaVale wanted $14 million per year.  That's just stupid.  That said, he's 24 years old and he'll get you 12 points and 8 rebounds.  Nene's 29 years old and averages 13 and 7.  So, you don't want to pay the 24 year old $14 million to get 12 and 8... but you're fine with paying a 29 year old $13 million per year through 2016 to average 13 and 7 for maybe 1/2 of the year, until he gets hurt?  Defensively, he's obviously better than McGee, who gives up at least one cheap foul, one goaltending violation, and one easy dunk/layup for each blocked shot, but it's not a question of who you'd rather pick in a fantasy draft.  

In terms of value per dollar, the Wizards lost big on this one - not because they gave up McGee, but because they over-committed to a guy with a history of injury problems who's not top 5 and arguably not even top 10 at his position.  If they'd signed Nene this summer on an extremely front-loaded contract that allowed greater flexibility and trade options down the road, great - but who on Earth would be stupid enough to want a 32 year old Nene for $13 million per year if this doesn't work out?  

They should've just let JaVale walk in free agency, then used the cap space to sign starting caliber players to more reasonable contracts.   

Granted, odds are the Pacers will match any offer for Hibbert, and veteran guys like Kaman and Camby will go to a contender, but you still have a fair shot at landing a player like Andre Drummond in the draft.  If that were to happen, then what?  See if Houston's still so big-man crazy that they'll trade you an unproductive Kevin Martin for Nene?  By all accounts, this should be one of the best drafts in recent memory.  Why not just bite the bullet - no pun intended- and lose your way to the best possible lottery odds?  Winning 5 more games isn't going to make John Wall any happier, but it could be the difference between picking second and picking sixth.  

You don't know what your greatest needs will be until after the draft - and if you REALLY wanted Nene you could've landed him NEXT year for Rashard Lewis.  Denver just wanted him off the books. 

To me, this is a desperate "impact" move from a GM struggling to keep his job.  Grunfeld will be lucky if he's even around to deal with the consequences of this trade 3-4 years from now, when the team will likely be capped out and (assuming they work their way UP to marginality) can no longer look to the lottery for hope.  

wanted Blatche gone more than anyone but I'll take Nene to boost our team IQ, Javale isn't worth the headache

so long Nick Young, I wish Jordan Crawford wasn't your exact clone though
30t6p3b.gif
now he'll get even more shot attempts with you gone

@ Meth I'd worry about Nene's contract and our team cap money if we were a team that could lure free agents, but we're not one of them. No one wants to play here so we gotta build through the draft and cut some of the dead weight this summer (Rashard/Blatche)

Nene brings low post offense that we desperately need

solid post Meth, a few points.. i agree that it would have made more financial sense to let Javale walk.. obviously this movie was more about Ernie Grunfeld trying to show that he wants to change the culture of the team, which honestly, is somewhat encouraging in light of the past few years. Grunfeld will still be fired, but at least he's showing the fans that he's actually trying.

however, i think you are exaggerating the negative repercussions of the deal. Nene is a solid veteran player who will give you intelligent defense, low post toughness, rebounding, and court awareness every night.. something this team (esp John Wall) desperately needs on the court. also, i wouldn't actually say Nene is "injury prone", he's played 70+ games the last 3 seasons while putting up nice numbers. yes, he has missed a lot of games in his career.. but remember now, that was because of his battle with cancer, not injuries sustained through basketball. you're absolutely right that his age is a problem, the Wizards will simply not get their money's worth out of him for at least 2 years of that contract. but what can you do? there are franchises who are able to squeeze the most out of every deal, but right now the Wizards simply aren't capable of doing that.

as far as EG goes, this is noooooowhere near the Arenas contract, the 5th pick fiasco with Minnesota, the Vesely pick, etc etc. this is nowhere near his best work, i'd say he actually showed some level of competence in this deal.

interesting that you brought up the ping-pong balls, because i just checked the standings and we are, in all likelihood a lock, for a bottom 3 finish trade or no trade. so that is encouraging as well.

I just hope this McGee trade doesn't net the return value of Mitch Richmond
laugh.gif

That being said, after thinking about what went down w. the Wizards for a bit...I'm not too upset at the trade. Nene, while older, will provide MUCH more stability at the 5 than McGee. In addition (like someone else mentioned), you get off the hook for re-upping McGee for a deal that could come back to bite you while taking on Nene's 13 mil per year (and he should be an easier player to trade if need be).

Washington had to gut the roster of the clowns. Getting rid of 2/3 of them is a start. This summer will be huge. After using the amnesty on Blatche and buying out Shard, they'll have a lot of money to use in FA. With the addition of a top-5 (hopefully) draft pick, this team is going to look ENTIRELY different come next November.

If this is EG's swan song, he made a nice move to rid the team of 2 of the boneheads he drafted.

i wouldn't actually say Nene is "injury prone", he's played 70+ games the last 3 seasons while putting up nice numbers. yes, he has missed a lot of games in his career.. but remember now, that was because of his battle with cancer, not injuries sustained through basketball. you're absolutely right that his age is a problem, the Wizards will simply not get their money's worth out of him for at least 2 years of that contract. but what can you do? there are franchises who are able to squeeze the most out of every deal, but right now the Wizards simply aren't capable of doing that.

as far as EG goes, this is noooooowhere near the Arenas contract, the 5th pick fiasco with Minnesota, the Vesely pick, etc etc. this is nowhere near his best work, i'd say he actually showed some level of competence in this deal.

You have to ask yourself why Denver was so eager to let Nene go not even three months after signing him to a five year deal.  They've been watching the same game film we have.  They know McGee wants $14 million per year for leading the league in bloopers.  Do you really think they said to themselves, "this kid McGee's gonna be an All Star!  I don't care WHO we have to give up!"?  No, Denver just wanted to dump Nene's contract.  
Speaking of "basketball IQ," which GM do you trust more on this one?  Ujiri, whose last two major trades ruined the Knicks and Blazers, respectively, or Ernie Grunfeld, who, as has been noted:

• drafted all these knuckleheads to begin with
  • traded the #5 pick in the 2009 draft for magic beans
  • used the #6 pick in the 2011 draft on a magic beanpole
  • sent two starters (including one former All Star) to Dallas for JOSH HOWARD
  • sent one former All Star to Cleveland for ZYDRUNAS ILGAUSKUS
  • signed Gilbert Arenas for ONE HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS

200px-Drevil_million_dollars.jpg

Clearly, Ujiri knew something Portland didn't about Raymond Felton.  They also knew about Carmelo Anthony what Knicks fans are finding out the hard way.  I'm not saying he's the world's greatest GM, because he's made his share of mistakes already, but, as we've discussed, it doesn't take much to outmaneuver Ernie Grunfeld.  

There's a reason Denver made this trade - and I seriously doubt it's because they LOVED what they saw from JaVale this season.  I don't even know how serious the Nuggets are about re-signing him this summer.  I mean, you're gonna take a guy with a history of respiratory problems, who's literally gasping for air after 5 minutes of exertion, and send him to DENVER?  It's hard to see that working out.  Their primary motivation in all of this seems clear.  By all accounts, they were hit hard by buyer's remorse. 

In recent months, Nene's had knee problems, calf problems, heel problems...  given his frame and the way he plays, you can't like the chances of his knees holding up long term.  Think about how hard it's been for the Knicks to find a greater fool willing to take Amar'e off their hands.  Granted, there's a big difference between $13 million and $18 million, but the same basic principle applies.  The price is too high.  Guys like Amar'e, Boozer, David Lee, etc. have "name value" and still put up respectable numbers, but nobody wants their contracts.  Nene is now in that same category.  

The luxury tax penalty is harsher than ever.  You literally can't afford to sign good players to bad deals.  

This has all the characteristics of a classic Isiah Thomas trade.  Win on talent, lose on salary, land the marquee name, and mortgage the future. 

Personally, I don't think the drop off in production from Nene to a third-tier center is so great that it justifies the price differential.  He's solid, but not dominant.  He won't command double teams.  He won't shut down Dwight Howard.  He won't make star players think twice about driving the lane.  Is he a nice player to have on your team?  Yes.  And, in the short run, there's no question that he makes the Wizards better.  They'll be far more tolerable, if less "entertaining," to watch for the rest of the year, and they'll be more competitive next year.  

But a few years from now, when John Wall's rookie deal is running out, I doubt we'll be so enthusiastic about paying a 33 year-old Nene $13 million.  And that, realistically, marks the best-case beginning of this team's "window" to begin with.  If we're VERY lucky they might sniff the playoffs in 2013, but, given our draft history, that seems like a real long shot. 

Traditionally, GM's have operated under the assumption that the salary cap will always increase - which is the same sort of logic that drove the housing bubble.  In today's NBA, you have to be prepared for slow growth and even no-growth scenarios, especially as the league attempts to recover from the lockout.  

Right now, I'm just hoping Nene fails the physical and the Wiz get a reprieve.  With our luck, I wouldn't bet on it. 

interesting that you brought up the ping-pong balls, because i just checked the standings and we are, in all likelihood a lock, for a bottom 3 finish trade or no trade. so that is encouraging as well.

We could've said the same last year.  We all saw how that turned out...

Five games may seem 'insurmountable' now, but some of these teams may be primed for a free fall.  In any event, we don't even know what position our #1 pick will play at the moment.  I'm still of the belief that if you were absolutely convinced that Nene was your guy, he'd still be there for the taking next season, and if you're convinced that McGee is NOT your guy, you still had sign and trade opportunities this summer AFTER the draft.  

If you were to make a move now, it should've been for a pick THIS YEAR.  Anything else could've been done later, in a moment of sobriety rather than panic.

I honestly don't think Nene will be in DC for more than 2 seasons. Outside of John Wall, what other assets did we have? No one was gonna take Blatche. We gave up Nick Young for a 2nd round pick in 2015...2015
laugh.gif

This team NEEDS bodies + contracts that can be moved later on.

Back
Top Bottom