**WASHINGTON WIZARDS 2012 Off-Season Thread ** Welcome to DC, Bradley Beal!!

Man...I was totally wrong about Kevin Seraphin. Dude looks like he's going to be a solid contributor for this team going forward. I can see why McGee was expendable. I think he should probably get a vote or two for MIP.

Let me ask yall....is there a possibility that Seraphin could slide into the 4 spot occasionally next year? Let's say we do get the #3 and take MKG...

Nene
Seraphin
MKG
?
Wall

Is that possible?

Also...Ernie, or whoever is the GM, needs to find a way to keep James Singleton around.

In a move that has become more and more of an inevitable one as the days have gone on, Randy Wittman will be the Washington Wizards' head coach next season, general manager Ernie Grunfeld told ESPN 980's Scott Jackson. Wittman will return after posting an 18-31 record after taking over for Flip Saunders in mid-January.

I'm OK with this...he held guys accountable and they went out and they went out and played competitive b-ball. It's only for another year, so if he falters....go after SVG (who I heard is taking the season off).

http://www.bulletsforever...washington-wizards-coach

indifferent.gif

I expected for Randy to return so no biggie.

I will however not be shocked if they win the lottery. I can feel it.

After Grunfeld's tragic extension, it was always likely that they would retain Wittman. I was hoping they'd pursue someone with a bit more coaching authority and a tried and true offensive system such as Sloan or Van Gundy, but my hopes for this team hardly ever materialize. That said, Wittman did well last season, and the players seemed to respond to him, so I'm not too mad.

I don't trust Grunfeld to do anything positive so hopefully we land the top pick, and it's taken out of his hands.

That six game win streak at the end of the season was fools gold.  Wizards have about a 20% chance at the #1 pick tonight......here goes anything. 

Originally Posted by JesusShuttlesworth34

That six game win streak at the end of the season was fools gold.  Wizards have about a 20% chance at the #1 pick tonight......here goes anything. 
Would you rather end the season with 6 wins, or go something like 2-4?  I don't care who they were playing, these guys went out and competed until the very last minute of the season.  Considering what this team has done in the past couple of years, I'll take it.  It's something to (hopefully) build off of going forward. 

That being said, I hope Stern throws us a bone and rewards the team for NOT tanking. 

Saw someone post elsewhere that if the Wizards get the #1 and take Davis, we should make way for Coach Cal in 2013

So...we're going into year 3 of the Leonsis era...and yet remnants of the previous era are still here. We're trying to rebuild going into year 3 with Grunfeld still as the GM...and Randy Wittman as the coach. I don't care how well the team played under him...he's won 33% of the games he's coached in the NBA.

Hard to be a fan of this team.

I was stating that it was fools gold for management to keep Randy Wittman. As a Wizards fan, I will take any W I can get and as many as possible....as 6 game win streaks have been a distant memory since Gil went down.  

Grunfield and Wittman aren't the faces of change and a fresh positive start I was looking for.  

Scott Jackson @JacksonSports Spoke with #Wizards tonight and they want to make it clear nothing official on the Randy Wittman as head coach next season. (continued)

Just saw this on BF...

The sense I'm getting, from my conversation with a Wizards source (see below) and this news, is that Wittman will likely return, but the Wizards are giving themselves some wiggle room with the particulars since Wittman is technically under contract next year. When Grunfeld says Wittman is "under contract" for next year, he's referring to the fact that all of Flip Saunders' assistants signed two-year contracts prior to this year. (Saunders' original four-year contract prior to the 2009-10 year was a four-year deal with a team option for the fourth year, so the Wizards aren't on the hook for his salary).

The source I spoke to compared this situation to Scott Brooks' in Oklahoma City and Frank Vogel's in Indiana. The latter's status was up in the air for several months during the lockout until he was finally given the job for this season.

http://www.bulletsforever...n-wizards-coach?tw_p=twt

I agree with one of the posters on there in that they said Wittman is just a stop-gap for one year. Yes, he served under Flip...and yes, he doesn't have a good winning % (but look at the teams he was coaching), but he's a COMPLETELY different coach than what we've had in the past. I'm not mad at all that he's going to be here for next year. The players seem to have responded well to him, so let's see what happens tonight and going forward.

Maybe it's just me...but I believe in completely turning over a new leaf.

A new owner should come in and hand pick who's running his team. Not keep leftovers from the previous disaster.

Originally Posted by DIOR PAINT

Maybe it's just me...but I believe in completely turning over a new leaf.

A new owner should come in and hand pick who's running his team. Not keep leftovers from the previous disaster.
I hear you and I also agree.  I thought Ernie's time should have been up. 

I think what Ted did, was evalue Ernie based SOLEY off of what he's done since the new ownership took over.  Meaning, he pretty much gave him a mulligan for the awful Gilbert deal...the awful Jamison deal...trading the #5 for trash, and extending blatche (that might have been under Ted, but I'm not sure).  Any other GM SHOULD have been canned. 

Wittman, I'm indifferent to...EG, on the other hand...he needed to go. 

One thing that I'll NEVER understand is why Grunfeld was given props for trading guys like McGee/Young...who were both his draft picks.  Pretty much giving him a pat on the back for clearning up his own mess
30t6p3b.gif

This is going to be year 3 of the Wall-era.  THis is the most important year under the new ownership.  If this team can't be in contention for the 8th seed and win anywhere from 30-35 games, it will be a complete disaster. 

So...

AD is obviously going #1.

#2 is about to get REALLY interesting.

I'm hoping MJ falls in love with Brad Beal and he goes #2. I want MKG. I'll settle for T-Rob though I still don't feel like he's a "need".

I'll say this though...knowing you'll either end up with MKG, Beal, or T-Rob is HELLUVA lot better feeling than sitting at #6 last year knowing Jan Vesley would be the pick.

Originally Posted by DIOR PAINT

So...

AD is obviously going #1.

#2 is about to get REALLY interesting.

I'm hoping MJ falls in love with Brad Beal and he goes #2. I want MKG. I'll settle for T-Rob though I still don't feel like he's a "need".

I'll say this though...knowing you'll either end up with MKG, Beal, or T-Rob is HELLUVA lot better feeling than sitting at #6 last year knowing Jan Vesley would be the pick.

THIS.

Knowing we'll end up with either Robinson or MKG makes me feel a lot better.  IMO, I don't think we're going to go after Beal. 

Brad Beal leading the fan poll on Bullets Forever.
I like Beal...but I'm trying to think of how many sub 6-5 shooting guards without ELITE level athleticism were worth a #3 pick and I can't think of any.

I'll C/P what I said in the draft thread

The Wizards are in a GREAT spot. No matter what happens, they're walking away with a starter with the #3 pick. I'm not mad at all with the team having the chance to take Beal, MKG, or T-Rob.

Barring anything stupid from the Bobcats and MJ, I think we're going to end up with Thomas Robinson. He "fits" in with this whole culture change the Wizards are undergoing. Not to mention he's a DC native. It just makes sense. If the Bobcats do something dumb, like take Drummond with the #2 overall, I wouldn't be mad at having MKG on the roster as well.

DP...let me ask you (or anyone else), do you think Robinson can make a transition to the 3 in the NBA? If so, I think he's got to be our guy (if MKG is off the board). If we take either MKG or Robinson, they're going to have to make a good offer to a SG like Eric Gordon.

I think beal is good and will be a solid addition to any team.  But there are only 3 players in this draft that are certified every game starters that are franchise players.  If we don't get T-Rob or MKG i am going to be livid 
laugh.gif

I agree that i don't think Beal is a superior athlete.  He will struggle in the nba to create his own shot.  He will be a nice wing shooter.  I really hope MJ does something stupid (which is likely) and takes Beal 2 or Drummond 2.  I want MKG more then T-Rob.  Hope he slides to us

Originally Posted by Jking0821

I think beal is good and will be a solid addition to any team.  But there are only 3 players in this draft that are certified every game starters that are franchise players.  If we don't get T-Rob or MKG i am going to be livid 
laugh.gif

I agree that i don't think Beal is a superior athlete.  He will struggle in the nba to create his own shot.  He will be a nice wing shooter.  I really hope MJ does something stupid (which is likely) and takes Beal 2 or Drummond 2.  I want MKG more then T-Rob.  Hope he slides to us

Ray Allen is the only one without what I consider elite athletic ability. Eric Gordon at 210-220 is for my money an athletic freak.

Ray Allen used to be able to get up.

10 years ago Ray would have put DWade on a poster last night like he did to T-Mac in the playoffs.

A Ray Allen comparison is quite lofty if you ask me....I just hope the Wizards add some solid character guys with great work ethics who are ready to contribute and be effective. 

Back
Top Bottom