Washington Wizards 2013 - 2014 Season Thread - Thanks for a great season!

Where will the Washington Wizards finish this season?

• Out of the playoffs.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • In 8th place.

• In 7th place.

• In 6th place.

• In 5th place.

• I'm delusional and believe the Wizards will finish in 4th place or higher.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the idea of KD coming to DC is completely farfetched. I think it is highly unlikely that OKC wins a championship in the next couple years. At that point, he will have been in the league for 9 years in Oklahoma City with no rings. I could absolutely see him coming back home, to the city he loves, to what should be a good team.

Who would we give up for love tho? Wolves won't let him go for free unless you want to wait a year for him.
Exactly. 

Acquiring Kevin Love is a pipe dream.  We don't have the trade assets, for starters, and even if we did I wouldn't make that move.  

Love didn't exactly make his teammates better in Minnesota - an outcome which, like any "bad" superstar, he's quick to blame on his teammates.  Love's not going to demand a double team.  Why would you double a power forward who's just going to camp behind the three point line?  You can take that away when you really need a stop, but by and large you're going to live with that shot.  Dirk didn't take that next step until he started going to the basket.  

If you get Love, you lose Gortat.  That leaves you with, what, Nene as your starting center?  And when he inevitably gets injured, who's behind him?  Seraphin?  No thanks.  

You'd rather keep Gortat and Ariza.  (Not that retaining Ariza makes sense given our brilliant roster redundancy.)  Gortat was inconsistent, but when he gets involved in a game he has the ability to rebound at a high rate.  Ariza was averaging close to 9 boards a game in the playoffs while shooting fairly well from distance.  Granted, this was a career year for Trevor and we don't expect that to continue for much longer - but if he gives you even 70% of Love's production at half the price, while offering superior defensive skills, that's an easy call.  

Call me crazy, but I'd rather have Bosh than Kevin Love.  At least I know Bosh is willing to sacrifice.  I know how he'll respond in critical situations.  He did, ultimately, bolt from Toronto just as Love plans to ditch the Wolves, but he didn't whine and pout about it every single year.  

I understand making it a point to start acting like a big time free agent destination, and you'd rather TRY than not, but any tenured Washington fan knows better than to build up false hope.

Realistically, this offseason all depends on how much Gortat will command.  Word is the Mavs want him, but, if the money is the same, you'd have to think that Washington is a better situation for him.  If you can bring him back without overpaying, do it.  You'll need the flexibility.  I would have a very difficult time giving near-max money to guarantee a mismatch in the opponent's favor come playoff time.  If you're going to give someone max money, they can't be a "B" player.  If you MUST overpay, do it for two years, not four. 

I don't think the idea of KD coming to DC is completely farfetched. I think it is highly unlikely that OKC wins a championship in the next couple years. At that point, he will have been in the league for 9 years in Oklahoma City with no rings. I could absolutely see him coming back home, to the city he loves, to what should be a good team.
It's definitely far fetched. 

He's spoken more than a few times about how he never wanted to play at home. One of the reasons why he never considered any of the local colleges either.

If he leaves OKC (which I doubt)...it'll be to one of the mega markets.

Everyone isn't Lebron and is just going to dip if they don't win before their contract is up. Chances are if Lebron had a Westbrook next to him in Cleveland he probably wouldn't have dipped...even if they didn't win the chip.

He's spoken more than a few times about how he never wanted to play at home. One of the reasons why he never considered any of the local colleges either.

If he leaves OKC (which I doubt)...it'll be to one of the mega markets.

Everyone isn't Lebron and is just going to dip if they don't win before their contract is up. Chances are if Lebron had a Westbrook next to him in Cleveland he probably wouldn't have dipped...even if they didn't win the chip.
I completely understand why he didn't consider the local colleges as a young player. Would have had too many distractions. As a grown man now though, I think it would be a little different. Has he actually said something within the last couple years that he'd never want to play at home? Perhaps I just missed it.

The point you make about Bron is different. Bron left his hometown after many years because they were never able to surround him with anyone. KD is already surrounded by talent in OKC, and he would be in DC as well if Beal and Wall are still there.

I just think that (and I agree w/ the sentiment of the article) now is the right time to go all in for a player like Love or Bosh. It's going to be the difference between being a new version of the Hawks, or a team that could legitimately be a threat to come out of the East for the next 4-5 years.

*How old was Pau Gasol when he was acquired by the Lakers?

We gonna get in on the Love sweepstakes?

Wizards Considered 'Stealth Candidate' To Pursue Kevin Love
May 26, 2014 3:38 PM EDT

Love_Kevin_min_120126.jpg

The Washington Wizards are a "stealth candidate" for Kevin Love, whose future with the Minnesota Timberwolves has been put in question recently.

Love's father, Stan, played for the then-Bullets in the 1970s and gave his son the middle name "Wesley" after Wes Unseld.

Love has a soft spot for the Wizards.

Any potential deal, however, could ultimately die if the Timberwolves ask for Bradley Beal.

Via David Aldridge/NBA.com

http://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...idered-Stealth-Candidate-To-Pursue-Kevin-Love

Last edited:
Wiz have absolutely zero shot at Love until he's an unrestricted FA. Need to move on..

Is K love
If you could get Love to sign a long term deal I would trade Beal for Love

really? interested to hear why you think this. I like kevin love but id def keep beal over him. i think a lot of what ricky rubio said about love is true. He is a stat filler, but is he really a winner? I think beal has the potential to be something special. But i could see the argument of love's skill set being harder to find...a big guy that rebounds and shoots from the outside is harder to come by then a knock down shooter who may potentially become an elite all around scorer.

Wasn't exactly a kings ransom that the Lakers gave up to land dwight from Orlando. However, the Wizards will have to get VERY creative to make this work (and also w/o giving up Beal) and possibly involve a 3rd team.

I'm hearing buzz that the team and Wittman are close to agreeing on a three year contract extension

Last edited:
I'm hearing buzz that the team and Wittman are close to agreeing on a three year contract extension
Yep

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2014/5/27/5755400/randy-wittman-wizards-contract-extension

@NBCdianna

I asked Ted Leonsis about the Wizards. Based on exit interviews and performance, he says Randy Wittman deserves to be back as head coach

Honestly it shouldn't be a surprise.. Wizards just had one of the best seasons in franchise history, the coach is not getting fired.

Honestly I would have felt a lot worse about this had he not had the playoff run. He did a lot of good things in the playoffs and showed that he can make timely adjustments. Plus, basically all the players came out and had his back, and said they loved playing for him. There's something to be said for a coach who can motivate his players and foster team chemistry.

Yep

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2014/5/27/5755400/randy-wittman-wizards-contract-extension
Honestly it shouldn't be a surprise.. Wizards just had one of the best seasons in franchise history, the coach is not getting fired.

Honestly I would have felt a lot worse about this had he not had the playoff run. He did a lot of good things in the playoffs and showed that he can make timely adjustments. Plus, basically all the players came out and had his back, and said they loved playing for him. There's something to be said for a coach who can motivate his players and foster team chemistry.

Yup...Randy absolutely earned it. Until he proves that he shouldn't be here, he's got my support. Just like with the rest of the team, my expectations with his coaching will be raised.

Late pass, but the Wizards were quite solid this year. I said they would make the playoffs this year, but they took it one baby step further than I expected. The WallxBeal combo can be great in the coming years. I think y'all future is bright!

(Maybe WallxBealxKD soon 
nerd.gif
)

Who does everyone want tonight? This is a quality draft. There are alot of 2nd round guys who can be impact role player at the next level. We need to grab someone who compete for a roster spot next year. No Satoransky's.

I'd like to see us target an athletic defensive minded big or a shooter (any position).

Here are some of the players I like that might be available at 43:

Kheem Birch

Walter Tavares

Andre Dawkins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom