Washington Wizards 2013 - 2014 Season Thread - Thanks for a great season!

Where will the Washington Wizards finish this season?

• Out of the playoffs.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • In 8th place.

• In 7th place.

• In 6th place.

• In 5th place.

• I'm delusional and believe the Wizards will finish in 4th place or higher.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh.  I am so sick of this nickel and dime stuff.  A second rounder isn't even guaranteed salary.  Just bring somebody in to camp.  Draft and stash overseas.  Trade and acquire a basketball asset.

Silly me, I'd thought we were done with miserly, penny pinching ownership when the team was transferred from Pollin to Leonsis.  
eyes.gif

Some things never change... 

DC basketball fans deserve better. 

Ugh.  I am so sick of this nickel and dime stuff.  A second rounder isn't even guaranteed salary.  Just bring somebody in to camp.  Draft and stash overseas.  Trade and acquire a basketball asset.

Silly me, I'd thought we were done with miserly, penny pinching ownership when the team was transferred from Pollin to Leonsis.  
eyes.gif

Some things never change... 

DC basketball fans deserve better. 
this...

Same feeling I had when we passed up Dejuan Blair. I mean, Russ Smith was right there for the taking. :smh: It is what it is...

On the other hand, we did sign Deonte Burton...

Reminds me a little bit of Will Bynum.

Last edited:
I'm sorry...but I'd rather give 10-11 mil per year to Greg Monroe than Gortat. Especially a 5 year deal.

And if we give Ariza anything near 10 mil per...I'm done with this organization. 

For that money, we could've signed Pau Gasol.  

Do people forget all the 4th quarter minutes Gortat spent on the bench in the Chicago series?  Or how he looked against Indiana?  

Handcuffed to mediocrity, the very essence of this franchise.

Do people forget all the 4th quarter minutes Gortat spent on the bench in the Chicago series?  Or how he looked against Indiana?  

exactly Gortat is on the wrong side of 30  

Last summer...I said the Martell Webster contract would be one we'd be looking to deal within in the next few years...and I was right after only one year.

I'm saying right now....that this Gortat deal...WILL be a contract we're looking to deal well before that 5th year comes.

uh no. Doesn't work that way Meth. Gortat is a legit Center. Options for legit Centers are pretty much ......none. The price was right.
Ariza should be let go. Lets allow Otto to grow.

I'm sorry...but I'd rather give 10-11 mil per year to Greg Monroe than Gortat. Especially a 5 year deal.

And if we give Ariza anything near 10 mil per...I'm done with this organization. 
Monroe would spit on you if you offered him 10-11M :lol:
He's going to sign for the max, $15mil/year easily.

You guys need to realize that the salary cap is going up, a lot of contracts are going to look inflated because teams anticipate they'll have more cap room in the future.

We're hearing that players like Gordon Hayward will receive max contracts.. this is how it's gonna be, at least until the CBA negotiations in 2017. Teams will have to pay a premium for quality free agents.

I wish Gortat got 4 years or the 5th was non-guaranteed, but chances are he'll be moved by then and someone else will be paying that 5th year. He's a very good center and doesn't have much career mileage on him, this deal is pretty much expected for a player of his caliber.

Overpaying Ariza (who's skillset is more replaceable) would be worse.. that's kinda what I'm bracing myself for now

Last edited:
Monroe would spit on you if you offered him 10-11M :lol:

You guys need to realize that the salary cap is going up, a lot of contracts are going to look inflated because teams anticipate they'll have more cap room in the future.

We're hearing that players like Gordon Hayward will receive max contracts.. this is how it's gonna be, at least until the CBA negotiations in 2017. Teams will have to pay a premium for quality free agents.

I wish Gortat got 4 years or the 5th was non-guaranteed, but chances are he'll be moved by then and someone else will be paying that 5th year. He's a very good center and doesn't have much career mileage on him, this deal is pretty much expected for a player of his caliber.

Overpaying Ariza (who's skillset is more replaceable) would be worse.. that's kinda what I'm bracing myself for now

That's pretty much where I'm at. The money is right, but I'm not a fan of the 5th year. I wish it was a team option, but I knew we'd have to overspend to keep him. 4/48 would have been perfect, but that expiring deal in the 5th year will look enticing to someone by the trade deadline.

I'm just really worried about what we're going to offer Ariza. I have a real bad feeling.

The wiz are trying but I really don't see the demand for the majority of players they have. Last season was the best they had in a LONG time but let's not let the shadow reality.

1. Worst EC ever
2. So many teams were tanking

They need major changes

uh no. Doesn't work that way Meth. Gortat is a legit Center. Options for legit Centers are pretty much ......none. The price was right.
That's exactly what the Thunder said when they extended Perk...

Too many years.  Too much money.  You don't run to the altar with someone who's "above average." 

Now watch Ariza claim the rest of our cap space and condemn us to mediocrity through 2020.  The Martell Webster contract is the least of our worries now. 

That's exactly what the Thunder said when they extended Perk...

Too many years.  Too much money.  You don't run to the altar with someone who's "above average." 

Now watch Ariza claim the rest of our cap space and condemn us to mediocrity through 2020.  The Martell Webster contract is the least of our worries now. 
THIS!!!

I really don't mind the gortat signing...the fifth year...ehhhhh.  But I think he has a good skill set and fits our team.  Good offensive big men are a commodity.  But if we tie up the rest of our cap space with ariza i will be pissed.  We know the team we have right now is not talented enough to win a championship.  We need upgrades.

Happy we got Gortat back even though we paid him a lot

Whatever happens with Ariza I’m good with

yall keep saying this mediocrity rhetoric I seriously want to know what yall think would make us legit contenders aside from Lebron dying or the entire Western Conference falling off the face of the Earth. I wanna hear what yall plan B would have been if we let Gortat walk

Monroe would spit on you if you offered him 10-11M
laugh.gif

As a 6-foot-10 big man with a versatile offensive game, Monroe has a market. But what is it? In numerous conversations with league executives, scouts and agents over the past two years, not one considered Monroe a max player. 
http://www.freep.com/article/20140702/SPORTS03/307020185/

Watch Monroe end up signing a deal similar to Gortat's

Last edited:
yall keep saying this mediocrity rhetoric I seriously want to know what yall think would make us legit contenders aside from Lebron dying or the entire Western Conference falling off the face of the Earth. I wanna hear what yall plan B would have been if we let Gortat walk
Make a move for Carmelo. Right now they are bringing back an old team (outside of Wall and Beal) who's ceiling is 45 wins and the second round of the playoffs. 

I personally like keeping gortat.  But if we could have saved some money that would have been nice.  Ariza if resigned should not be to a contract that will hand cuff us.  We need Otto to play.  Then we need to be able to free up enough money to maybe take a shot at KD when he is a FA.  Wall, Beal, KD....not one...not two...not three

If Carmelo wanted to be here I'm sure we would have been on his tour list.

exactly

for whatever reason top free agents do not look to come here, no sense in keeping cap space hoping for a pipe dream. Gortat's signing makes a ton more sense than Ariza because of Otto Porter, he just needs the opportunity to play.

Wizards brought in Thabo yesterday for a visit. That's actually good news. I'm hoping we're priced out of the Ariza sweepstakes and we're looking into (cheaper) alternatives. I like Ariza, but the fact he hasn't signed yet is great to hear.

I agree with locking up Gortat from a player and personality standpoint. Can't deny his impact on the floor and on the team. I'm a fan of Ariza but I'd rather let him walk. He served his purpose in helping us get to the playoffs and providing that veteran presence.

It would be great if Otto could develop into a serious threat from 3 but let him get in there and find himself defensively. Thats why we brought him in. We also have to prepare for Beal's next contract. I'd rather us develop our young core than go all-in now with what we already have just because they took us to the second round...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom