We Still Believe!!! Team Pilipinas 2009

The RP team will only get worse from here on out since PBA players wont be used anymore, which is a very stupid propostition.

How can the likes of Casio, Chris Tiu, Ababou in the Developmental team compete with Iran, China and the other teams when our PBA stars cant even beat them?

Puro kasi problema and palusot. We should start the PBA season the same time as the NBA does so that we can copy everything they do. Build a team, havetryouts, train for the whole summer and/or in between conferences, and we may just have a chance to compete.

Still, we need a bit of luck especially with all the injuries. I wonder how a 100% philippine team would perform with Kelly Williams and Ryan Reyes.

And yes, SPEED will get us going HOWEVER, what happens if we suddenly qualify for the Olympics after a gazillion years and tons of good luck and play the U.S.in a low - seed vs. high - seed playoff? LOL i dont think any of our players are faster than CP3, Wade or LeBron (or Rose, and co. in the future) LOL
roll.gif

^
the smart gilas will be comepting overseas ,, they have the time to jel.. and they will be used to international games.. not our pba players.. who are used toplay with nba style.. too much 1 on 1..

nabsa ko sa pex..

in our interview today with rajko toroman sa program, he said that 'the rp team took a lot of attempts in the 3point line. wala daw discipline regardingshot selection ang team. hindi daw kadali na maresolba ang problema sa shooting in a short span of time. saka dapat inside-outside ang binibigyang focus.discipline sa shot hindi porket libre ititira mo na . another thing is matapang na sinabi ni coach toroman na pba is no good for international competition kasiit relies on one on one too much hindi team concept or walang team system. if ever he gets a chance to get pba players for smart gilas he would pick , norwood,aguilar, dilinger basta yung bata at may potential daw

Another problem I see is the lack of competition in the HS level. IMO, top amateur, when I say top, those that have a good combination of size and speed,should be allowed to play with the big boys. Para madevelop na agad. Usually kasi satin, sa college na nadedevolop(18-21yrs old). Masmaganda sana kung styleeurope na pinapalaro nila yung mga 14yrs old sa smaller pro leagues. maybe we can let them practice with pba teams

We also need more "japeth aguilar" scenarios. Iba parin yung masanay kang makipag compete against taller opponents. Madedevelop yung other skills molng dribbling, speed, shooting. If you're 6'6 dito sa pinas, everything is so easy. Stand in the middle, jump hook. tapos na. You cant play outsidedahil mumurahin ka ng coach mo hehe. Imo their are pinoys that are good enough to join aussie leagues, nbdl, smaller leagues in europe etc, we just have totry. Wag dapat makuntento yung players natin na superstar sa pba.

Hello I need a little help here regarding the font of the number and name RP team use on the jersey. since nike PI is not offering the service this time weneed to get it done by ourselves. the problem is we dnt knw what is the name of the font and size they use. things wil be easy if we can find the file and askthe jersey shop to screen-print it. anyone? thanks

The problem with Japeth was he didn't get enough experience playing actual games in the NCAA because of his injury, just imagine how good he would'vebecome if he had decent minutes with Western Kentucky, his game would've improved so much..

Originally Posted by kob323

The RP team will only get worse from here on out since PBA players wont be used anymore, which is a very stupid propostition.

How can the likes of Casio, Chris Tiu, Ababou in the Developmental team compete with Iran, China and the other teams when our PBA stars cant even beat them?

Puro kasi problema and palusot. We should start the PBA season the same time as the NBA does so that we can copy everything they do. Build a team, have tryouts, train for the whole summer and/or in between conferences, and we may just have a chance to compete.

Still, we need a bit of luck especially with all the injuries. I wonder how a 100% philippine team would perform with Kelly Williams and Ryan Reyes.

And yes, SPEED will get us going HOWEVER, what happens if we suddenly qualify for the Olympics after a gazillion years and tons of good luck and play the U.S. in a low - seed vs. high - seed playoff? LOL i dont think any of our players are faster than CP3, Wade or LeBron (or Rose, and co. in the future) LOL
roll.gif
Smart-Gilas performed better in the 2009 FIBA-Asia Champions Cup than the 2007 PBA backed RP-Magnolia selection.

It's about heart and dedication IMO.

Did I mention Fadi-El Khatib saying that Andy Barroca is the next Jimmy Alapag...
smokin.gif

ok langs a akin yung hindi mag champion or whatever eh pero after seeing the team play against Qatar na walang kagana gana, walang puso parang tinamad na akopanoorin yung mga laban against korea , sana man lang yung pride saka yung puso ipinakita man lang, anyway kung ano man mangyari sa future susuportahan ko padin ang team pilipinas mapa smart gilas man or pba teams, sana lang talaga magkaroon tayo ng sapat na panahon makapag train ng ias team

^MJ said in his book "For the love of the game" - "Give me 4 guys with great heart and i'll beat 5 guys with great potential anytime."

- i would reserve my opinion on the SMART Gilas team until they show up on their qualifying tourney. I've a notion we'll be surprised.
- basketball is realistically not for the vertcally challenged but i wouldn't say the tallest teams have always won. Until when will we give height as thereason we can't qualify or win? Was it not so long ago that 'tall' does not necessarily mean 'talent' as tall people can also be slow andflat footed.
- I can't say other country's players are more talented than ours.

So what excuses will we be left with in the end? height? practice time? coaching? will? funding? support? team work? The Smart Gilas team may provideanswers...and surprises.

Originally Posted by garfieldgnu

I think MJ used to say "Give me 5 players with average skills but tough will and determination and that would beat 5 talented players with no will and determination."

the team changed its name to powerless team pinas after the defeat against team jordan....

Originally Posted by garfieldgnu

I think MJ used to say "Give me 5 players with average skills but tough will and determination and that would beat 5 talented players with no will and determination."

- i would reserve my opinion on the SMART Gilas team until they show up on their qualifying tourney. I've a notion we'll be surprised.
- basketball is realistically not for the vertcally challenged but i wouldn't say the tallest teams have always won. Until when will we give height as the reason we can't qualify or win? Was it not so long ago that 'tall' does not necessarily mean 'talent' as tall people can also be slow and flat footed.
- I can't say other country's players are more talented than ours.

So what excuses will we be left with in the end? height? practice time? coaching? will? funding? support? team work? The Smart Gilas team may provide answers...and surprises.

nicely said gary..

THE TIANJIN AFTERMATH: PBA AT CROSSROADS
Mon, 08/17/2009 - 21:26
BEIJING - Iran continued to make big waves in the FIBA Asia Men's Championship while the Philippines has to settle for a few ripples.

A hitherto unknown force until their emergence in Tokushima, Japan two years ago, the Iranians will again be singing their way to a global stage.

After the Beijing Olympics last year, it's Istanbul in 2010 for the 16th FIBA World Championship.

And how did it all begin for the back-to-back champions, and what could be in store for Philippine basketball, here's a look back and a glimpse forward.

From the rugged mountains of Iran and Lebanon to the sun-baked deserts of Jordan, the writing is on the wall - Asian basketball supremacy has shifted to the Middle East.

Heads and shoulders above everybody in size and agility, Middle Eastern teams have opened a chasm between them and the rest of the region, including erstwhile powerhouse China.

The widening gap eventually swallowed the field in the 25th FIBA Asia Men's Championship, with the defending champion Iranians annihilating the host Chinese and their three NBA players, 70-52, in the final game Sunday at the Tianjin gymnasium.

Before a boisterous hometown crowd who believed their heroes were invincible, China crumbled as Iran, whose FIBA Asia Olympic qualifying victory in Tokushima came into question because the Chinese didn't bother to field it's A-Team as host of the Beijing Summer Games the following year, thumped their chests after exposing Yi Jianlian, Sun Yue and Wang Zhizhi as mere mortals in the face of the emerging forces in the continent.

Iran and China will be going to Istanbul next year as regional qualifiers to the 16th FIBA World Championship, and with them Jordan which tossed around demoralized Lebanon, 80-66, in the battle for third place and for the last spot available as FIBA Asia representatives.

So distraught were the Lebanese after losing to China in the semifinal Saturday, 72-68, that they offered the Jordanians only a shell of their original form, the one which had the Chinese on the ropes until a referee stepped in and decided the outcome in the closing seconds.

The Iranians witnessed the atrocity committed against Lebanon and learned their lesson, never allowing anybody to alter their destiny by roaring ahead early and keeping the pressure mounted throughout the championship.

On sheer star power, China stayed the arrival of midnight as three Middle Eastern teams blazed a trail to the Final Four, with Lebanon getting shoved off the cliff at the last minute.

Other Asian teams, including long-time traditional powers South Korea, Japan and the Philippines, found themselves left out in the cold, shivering against the whipping winds sweeping the Asian basketball landscape.

Powerade-Team Pilipinas, comprised of professional players from the Philippine Basketball Association, wasn't fast enough to run for cover when the winds of change came howling.

Already relegated to ninth place in Tokushima after getting booted out of the preliminaries following quick losses to Iran and Jordan, the 2009 Nationals received a blessing during the draw and with the modified tournament format which called for three teams, instead of two, to move on from each group.

Unbeaten South Korea, the Philippines, and Japan advance from Group A to the next phase of the elimination, facing off with Group B's Iran, Chinese-Taipei and Kuwait, an encounter that ended the campaigns of Japan and Kuwait and sent the top four teams to the crossover quarterfinals.

Over in the other two groups, China, Jordan, Lebanon and Qatar were decisively grinding out the opposition in clinching quarterfinal seats.

It was China vs. Chinese-Taipei, Jordan vs. RP, Lebanon vs. South Korea, and Qatar vs. Iran for spots in the Final Four.

Emerging after the smoke of battle settled down were China, Jordan, Lebanon and Qatar.

Falling behind by as many as 15 points while missing 18 free throws, the Nationals came back to as close as five points before surrendering an 81-70 defeat to the Jordanians, who massacred them by 31 points in the William Jones Cup tournament in Taipei last month.

The Philippines thus bid goodbye to a dream appearance in the World Championship after more than two decades, a goal many thought was too lofty to aim for in the first place with the Nationals' little training at home and even more sparse exposure outside.

Their unfamiliarity with international rules and the physical brand of play also came to fore when they blew a chance to reach Istanbul via another route - the wildcard pool in December where the fourth- and fifth-placed teams in Tianjin could get an invite to a single round clash to pick four more qualifiers - when they lost to a tall and fast Qatari team, 83-65, in the match for fifth.

Then came the rematch with South Korea, which has beaten the Philippines in the Jones Cup and again as group-mates in the preliminary round.

At stake is redemption against a team that had left a dagger imbedded in the hearts of Filipinos after Lee Sang-Min hit that buzzer-beating three-point shot in the semifinal game of the 2002 Asian Games in Busan.

The Nationals had a 10-point lead going in the fourth quarter but squandered it all with cold shooting and turnovers, missing three straight attempts in the closing seconds and winding up reliving the nightmare of seven years past when guard Yang Dong-Geun scored on an improbable fastbreak layup with practically the entire RP team draped all over him as South Korea ran away with an 82-80 victory and seventh place.

The writing is on the wall too as far as the Philippines is concerned.

Basketball, as it is played in the PBA, calls for one-on-one forays or basic pick-and-roll two-man games that focus on the league's superstars.

International competition shuns isolation plays - the cornerstone of playground basketball - and emphasizes head-on defense, quick ball rotation, multiple layers of screens and player movement, and long-distance bombing.

Iran, in sweeping nine games en route to the championship, had 7-foot-3 center Hamed Ehadadi, true. But it also has an array of lights-out shooters who never flinched when the going got tough.

With only the certified gunners allowed to shoot from 20.5 feet out - the three-point line -- in the PBA, except for one or two teams, the RP team's big men flailed around in unfamiliar territory in trying to keep pace with opponents as big, if not bigger, who were draining triples like they were free throws.

Oh, and then there's the matter of shooting foul shots.

Atrocious at worst and average at best, the Nationals simply were not a free throw shooting team, either from lack of individual practice or a collective dilemma brought about by the limited attention their mother teams pay this most basic of fundamentals.

Finally, there's the motivation and the commitment.

A call has been made by national coach Yeng Guiao for the PBA to keep an open mind with its initial decision to implement an exit plan after the Tianjin tournament, allowing the newly-formed Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas to take over the mantle of forming RP teams for future international tournaments.

PBA commissioner Renauld 'Sonny' Barrios has pledged to bring the matter for discussion with the board of governors, and Sta. Lucia Realty representative Buddy Encarnado has strongly endorsed Guiao's gambit.

But is anybody asking the players, multi-million peso minor deities, who among them are dedicated to sacrifice time, money and effort for flag and country?

Has a quiet referendum been set to determine who among them are willing to put national interest ahead of personal gain?

And will a committee be formed to study game tapes from as far back as Busan to Tokushima and now Tianjin to find out who among the players made the grade and who fell by the wayside, committing less of themselves as the tournaments got longer and the losses piled up?

If the PBA can find 15 players willing to undergo extensive training, stay together for a prolonged period of time to bond and create chemistry among them, and be proud enough to wear the Philippine flag on their jerseys, then it could go right ahead with the SBP in exploring the possible fruits of a renewed partnership.

If not, then the PBA should take a deep bow, having served the country from 1990 during the Beijing Asian Games where it won a silver - the highest finish by a PBA-backed, no-Fil-foreign player in an international competition, and let the SBP run the show.

But in the event the pro league does find 15 from its backyard who are willing, then the SBP might want to help its cause by sending along a seven-foot naturalized player to spice things up for the RP team in-wating.

Otherwise, without that man in the middle, all this is idle talk, all dreams just wistful and wishful thinking, and all effort and support - as Coca-Cola's JB Baylon continues to commit - destined to go down the drain.

si jayjay yung pinakanadidire si japeth wala lang saka kay asi may beer pa ata iniiom ginawang pulutan lang, haha

Nice Video, si Japeth parang Wala lang eh

**I Think Jersey Haven is already selling the Red Jerseys of the Powerade Team Pilipinas

jethro wrote:

**I Think Jersey Haven is already selling the Red Jerseys of the Powerade Team Pilipinas

Are those legit? I think Jersey Haven only asked their supplier to copy it and is not from Nike.

I Think they get from the Same Supplier.

Ask Icebox15, He is JerseyHaven as I reckon

Originally Posted by jethro

I Think they get from the Same Supplier.

Ask Icebox15, He is JerseyHaven as I reckon
Yup he is.

But I doubt they have the same supplier since if you check the jerseys from Nike, correct me if im wrong, they're made in Malaysia or another country andnot the Phil. And Nike usually doesn't include the sponsors and FIBA logo in their jerseys.

just to share some infos, during 2007 the first year Nike sponsored Team Pilipinas, they've released a jersey for the public which is also a blank, withjock tags and neck tag, and on the same year, due to sizing problem among players, they have to make one which are measured from the players, I've searchfor some pictures way back 2007, here are the pics showing the jerseys of the players without the jock tags.

rrit.jpg
0408chnbowang.jpg
0208phimenkconraderic.jpg

With this year's jersey, same as last year's they provided 2 jerseys which is the one sold in malls, and the one measured from them, to give you guysan idea, Asi usually wears jersey size 54 at least, but since the Nike provided 2XL as their biggest size on the jersey, it measures 50 at most, which looksreally tight fit on his body, regarding the Fiba patch, it's the team who put them and not provided by the organizer, if you noticed the teams on the lastFiba Asia, teams have different patches on their jerseys, some are vertical like Philippines, some have horizontal like China, there's even one team forgotwhich one who puts the Fiba Asia in vertical, but their logo is supposedly horizontal, hope this info helps.

by the way, I've seen new jackets provided by Nike for Team Pilipinas, they got 3 types of game jackets, the microfiber one which is also the same as theone being sold in malls, and the other one is similar material with the 2007 jacket which is a polyester, and the cotton like type which is the same as whatCom. Barrios gave to Kobe on the pic posted previously here, and a gray hoodie jacket.

peace.

Originally Posted by datswataymtokinabawt

spotted Team PI red jersey at Nike boutique in Landmark Trinoma

how much where they? have big sizes like 3xl? thanks

Back
Top Bottom