Wedding planning and budgetting (married NT'ers welcome)

i was looking at this website....legit check please...lol
www.myweddingfavors.com

they have some really cool party favors, i love the magnet set that comes in a little fridge and the "mint to be" set

this is what we are trying to get our center pieces to look like
007_primary.jpg

this is us btw goofing around making our first wedding guestlist draft...lol...i posted the list on my FB...!#*# got like a million comments....i hurt some feelings too, not including some people, but i cant possibly invite everyone i want, i think people forget you pay per plate...
4472302312_e06df21975_b.jpg

future ms cardona (photo by me)
4118731311_dcb062b281_o.jpg

Nice picture^ Beautiful lady too. Congrats and good luck. Like I said, don't sweat the small stuff and remember to enjoy the whole atmosphere of the moment. You will cherish those memories forever.

Its the little things that will stick out to you too. For example, at my wedding, the DJ threw on "I got a Feeling" by B.E.P. (a song we hadn't requested) and I remember every single person got up and danced with us and we were all jumping around and literally just having a blast. The look on everyone's face enjoying themselves was priceless. There were times I would just step back and look around while people were dancing because I wanted soak it all in.

First off... congrats ksteezy

I am tying the knot this year also. No date set but we are looking at a 20-25k wedding (live in Hawaii so can't really help the cost).

Here is our master plan... My biggest flaw with weddings is that when it comes time to make the guest list, there is always a line you have to draw to keep it within reason. You have friends you want to invite, but due to numbers you just can't do it. Here is our solution...

TWO PHASE RECEPTION

PHASE ONE - Classy reception following church wedding. 150 guests. Fancy dinner, beer/wine (open), super intimate and traditional. Keep the program short yet meaningful.

PHASE TWO - When the dinner reception is over, a party bus awaits to pick up bride/groom, wedding party, and younger guests. I am renting out a club that is going to be reserved for invited guests only. 200-250 guests. Open Bar. 80s and 90s jams. Basically an entire club filled with all of your friends and family getting down and having a fun in a party atmosphere. I put a 5k cap on the bar and once it runs out then everyone is on their own.

I am hoping that this works out because I want her family to have the wedding that they deserve for their daughter, and yet have a wedding that all my friends would expect me to have (super fun and outgoing). I am cutting major corners in that some of my friends are club/concert promotors, and that the venue/caterers are also networked through family.

We are about to set the date and I will def keep in contact with any tips and hints I find along the way...

Good thread OP

Weddings are dumb expensive but u can do it w/ a low budget, u just gotta know where and how to cut corners. I'm gettin married in July and some of the things we are doing to cut down on the price are,

Making our own invitations. We're doing pocket invitations and if we were to order them premade, we'd be paying almost $300. By making them ourselves, we will spend about $110 $20. I bought a 250pg pack of cardstock and designed the inserts myself and will get them cut FedEx Kinkos.

Buy your own liquor/hire your own bartender. If the reception isn't anal about that then go ahead and do it. If they are, throw a $200-300 limit on your drinks and after that, have it turn into a cash bar.

Buy online. A lot of the things you see in the stores you want for the wedding as far as accessories and decorations can be bought online in bulk for a price cheaper than you'll get in the store. Also, don't be afraid to go to the dollar stores to purchase things either if they can be useful.

That's all I can think of at the moment. As of right now, the only things that is going to cost over $1k is the reception hall, catering, and my girl's dress. Also, if you rent your tux at Mens Wearhouse with at least 5 tux rentals for the wedding, you get a coupon for a free tux or suit up to a $400 value. go to the website and check it out

Originally Posted by ksteezy

this is us btw goofing around making our first wedding guestlist draft...lol...i posted the list on my FB...!#*# got like a million comments
didnt you say you were 28?

I'll surely re-visit this thread in 2 years.

smh.gif
at the thoughts of the cost. I'll have a minimum 150 for mine w/ 100 of those for my girl alone since her dad is a public figure.We're already getting into arguments about who'll be invited and who's getting the burn
laugh.gif
I'm pretty sure the arguments will get worse as we move on. We already got some connects w/ the basic wedding needs (photog, dress) but I'm personally not thinking about it now. It stresses the +@+# out of me.

congratulations my man. have a nice married life.

We planned our wedding in 3 weeks.  After planning and trying to budget for a wedding for about a year, we just said eff it and went for it.  We realized that if we waited until everything was perfect, including our money, we would NEVER get married.

I think we spent at the most $800-900 on everything--the venue, cake, tux, dress, gear for the kids, gifts for guests and professional photographer.  We didn't have a legit reception because we couldn't afford it and it wasn't like our wedding was huge--we had 25 guests lol.  Instead we just met up with everyone for dinner at a nice restaurant and had a great time without paying for all that extra nonsense. 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

As far as planning goes, I had a good time "working" with my wife.  In reality I didn't plan a damn thing--I just was there when she picked stuff out and nodded yes when I knew she really liked something. 
laugh.gif
   I'd say let her handle the intricate details and you just work on the major things like venue and photographer.  And try to find people that will work with your budget--you'd be surprised at how many people will bargain with you when you bring your budget to them.  Our photographer was dumb cool and gave us a DVD of over 200 official wedding photos for about $200, which is pretty unheard of for wedding photos.  So my advice is to just ask if you want to get a deal--all they can do is say no. 

Originally Posted by moneymike88

this is us btw goofing around making our first wedding guestlist draft...lol...i posted the list on my FB...!#*# got like a million comments
dude you reaching for LULZ....grow up, my aunt is almost 40 and has a facebook...my boss and my girls boss both in their 50's have facebooks...what does having a FB have anything to do with your age?
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by rayray3thousand

First off... congrats ksteezy

I am tying the knot this year also. No date set but we are looking at a 20-25k wedding (live in Hawaii so can't really help the cost).

Here is our master plan... My biggest flaw with weddings is that when it comes time to make the guest list, there is always a line you have to draw to keep it within reason. You have friends you want to invite, but due to numbers you just can't do it. Here is our solution...

TWO PHASE RECEPTION

PHASE ONE - Classy reception following church wedding. 150 guests. Fancy dinner, beer/wine (open), super intimate and traditional. Keep the program short yet meaningful.

PHASE TWO - When the dinner reception is over, a party bus awaits to pick up bride/groom, wedding party, and younger guests. I am renting out a club that is going to be reserved for invited guests only. 200-250 guests. Open Bar. 80s and 90s jams. Basically an entire club filled with all of your friends and family getting down and having a fun in a party atmosphere. I put a 5k cap on the bar and once it runs out then everyone is on their own.

I am hoping that this works out because I want her family to have the wedding that they deserve for their daughter, and yet have a wedding that all my friends would expect me to have (super fun and outgoing). I am cutting major corners in that some of my friends are club/concert promotors, and that the venue/caterers are also networked through family.

We are about to set the date and I will def keep in contact with any tips and hints I find along the way...

Good thread OP
thanx alot man, 20-25k may seem like alot, but the wedding industry has found a way to exploit us and make us believe thats not a high budget....however if you are smart you can do damage with that budget and it seems like you have it on lock...my firend's friend got married and she had a 30k budget, to say the least her wedding was obnoxious and wack, girls spent 2500 on her dress and 4000 on a rolls royce rental....what a waste...meanwhile she cut corners on the decor and centerpieces, photography wasnt that great either and she spent over 2k i believe....you have to be stern and stick somewhat to your initial budget, granted you will go over it..
I also joined the knot.com, its a great forum and it has a marketplace, its just a !#%@% to navigate and as the groom makes you feel a little @#%*#....but lots of info on how much you should spend on the big things....then again alot of people on therr are not really on a budget.

good luck with everything and post some pics!

Originally Posted by Dathbgboy

Weddings are dumb expensive but u can do it w/ a low budget, u just gotta know where and how to cut corners. I'm gettin married in July and some of the things we are doing to cut down on the price are,

Making our own invitations. We're doing pocket invitations and if we were to order them premade, we'd be paying almost $300. By making them ourselves, we will spend about $110 $20. I bought a 250pg pack of cardstock and designed the inserts myself and will get them cut FedEx Kinkos.

Buy your own liquor/hire your own bartender. If the reception isn't anal about that then go ahead and do it. If they are, throw a $200-300 limit on your drinks and after that, have it turn into a cash bar.

Buy online. A lot of the things you see in the stores you want for the wedding as far as accessories and decorations can be bought online in bulk for a price cheaper than you'll get in the store. Also, don't be afraid to go to the dollar stores to purchase things either if they can be useful.

That's all I can think of at the moment. As of right now, the only things that is going to cost over $1k is the reception hall, catering, and my girl's dress. Also, if you rent your tux at Mens Wearhouse with at least 5 tux rentals for the wedding, you get a coupon for a free tux or suit up to a $400 value. go to the website and check it out
you have the right idea, i wanted to buy the bulk package of invitations sold at our party supply store, but my mother refused to allow us to do this, once your parents see you are serious they get so enthused and decide to throw in a hand, at least my mother has.....so shes lending a hand with alot of these things....we are having about 100 guests but that doesnt mean 100 invites, some of our close friends and relatives are not getting any, dont see the point, so in total we are only sending out about 40 invites....from what ive seen we are looking at something like 150$
the liquor thing, there is no way we could do this at our reception, their bar, their rules...we have an open bar for 2 hours and then its cash bar...the reception hall needless to say has been the most expensive part of the whole thing.

thanx for the info on me's warehouse!
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by damnTHOSEjs

I'll surely re-visit this thread in 2 years.

smh.gif
at the thoughts of the cost. I'll have a minimum 150 for mine w/ 100 of those for my girl alone since her dad is a public figure.We're already getting into arguments about who'll be invited and who's getting the burn
laugh.gif
I'm pretty sure the arguments will get worse as we move on. We already got some connects w/ the basic wedding needs (photog, dress) but I'm personally not thinking about it now. It stresses the +@+# out of me.

congratulations my man. have a nice married life.
I asked her father, if you are gonna help then help...im not forcing you but i would appreciate it and her being her first daughter and first one getting married will also appreciate it, at the end he came forward and decided to help with half of the reception and so did my mother...of course this was when our list was at 75 guests, we went thru the ropes about who should and shouldnt be invited and the list grew to almost 100....at this point i took out a 3500$ loan to cover for the extra cost, if you future father-in-law is the reason why you are having so many guests then you should talk to him, he should be responsible for helping you out, otherwise he can keep his guests out....it is yours and her wedding not his!

Originally Posted by superblyTRIFE

We planned our wedding in 3 weeks.  After planning and trying to budget for a wedding for about a year, we just said eff it and went for it.  We realized that if we waited until everything was perfect, including our money, we would NEVER get married.

I think we spent at the most $800-900 on everything--the venue, cake, tux, dress, gear for the kids, gifts for guests and professional photographer.  We didn't have a legit reception because we couldn't afford it and it wasn't like our wedding was huge--we had 25 guests lol.  Instead we just met up with everyone for dinner at a nice restaurant and had a great time without paying for all that extra nonsense. 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

As far as planning goes, I had a good time "working" with my wife.  In reality I didn't plan a damn thing--I just was there when she picked stuff out and nodded yes when I knew she really liked something. 
laugh.gif
   I'd say let her handle the intricate details and you just work on the major things like venue and photographer.  And try to find people that will work with your budget--you'd be surprised at how many people will bargain with you when you bring your budget to them.  Our photographer was dumb cool and gave us a DVD of over 200 official wedding photos for about $200, which is pretty unheard of for wedding photos.  So my advice is to just ask if you want to get a deal--all they can do is say no. 
holy %+$# bro, 200$ for photography!?...woow...
its funny cuz we kindda did the same thing, we had been talkin about it for over a year, i kept saying lets wait till my money is right...blahblah blah...truth is when i dont feel the pressure i dont save the money, once we signed the first contract at the reception it was a wrap....now we know is crunch time and everything seems to be coming together just fine...im picking up alot of extra shifts at my second job and family is helping out....i cant even front, the planning is very exciting, i just hope she loves it and everyone has a great time.

Originally Posted by Its That Dude

Why are you getting married again?
what kind of question is that bro?...
tired.gif
No; I really want to know.

Why are you getting married?
- i love and trust my girl.
- weve been together 10 years

- i wanna start a family with a good foundation.

- its more convenient to file your taxes as married, than if you were single.
pimp.gif

dude you reaching for LULZ....grow up, my aunt is almost 40 and has a facebook...my boss and my girls boss both in their 50's have facebooks...what does having a FB have anything to do with your age?
eyes.gif
i didnt say anything about having it
laugh.gif

but you felt the need to post an invitation list there
roll.gif

grow up dood

Its That Dude wrote:

tired.gif

- i love and trust my girl.
- weve been together 10 years

- i wanna start a family with a good foundation.

- its more convenient to file your taxes as married, than if you were single.
pimp.gif

That's a beautiful thing.
pimp.gif

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]You're 28 and you been with her for 10 years? YIKES!... Some of you don't take the opportunity to meet different people huh? And what the hell do you mean her pops "was applying pressure"? 
indifferent.gif

smh.gif

Nonetheless, good luck man & congrats I guess. [/color]
laugh.gif

tired.gif

laugh.gif

eyes.gif
i didnt say anything about having it
laugh.gif

but you felt the need to post an invitation list there
roll.gif

grow up dood
i didnt invite people thru facebook, i just posted a pic of the first draft....i failed to realize that i didnt include some people that are fb friends and they got a bit upset....nothing serious.
okay dood?....
happy.gif

Originally Posted by Frische Produkte

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]You're 28 and you been with her for 10 years? YIKES!... Some of you don't take the opportunity to meet different people huh? And what the hell do you mean her pops "was applying pressure"? 
indifferent.gif

smh.gif

laugh.gif

tired.gif

laugh.gif
you really think we've ben together for 10 years without 1 or 2 or 3 breaks in between??...lol...thats insane bro, we got together at 17 had our first break up at 20...i dated she dated...6 months later we hooked up again....broke up againnn at 22....i dated she dated....and then had our last break up because she didnt want kids due to school and i was ready...this was 4 years ago...we were apart for a year where we both got into another relationship...somehow we ended up back together and now weve been back for 3 years...i know im tired of other chicks...every female comes with their #!!@%+$%, its all a matter of lust, if you can control that then as a man you should be happy with the woman you truly love...
i just gave you wayyy tooo much info...lol
roll.gif

to say the least we've been thru it all.....i know its time.

ohh and her pops is a traditional dominican man and wanted us to get married before she left the house, but that didnt happen, since then hes been applying preassure, traditional dominican parents are very concern of what the neighbors might think....so he just wants our relationship to be legit...his daughter left his house a married woman kinda thing you know?

Originally Posted by Frische Produkte

indifferent.gif

smh.gif

laugh.gif

tired.gif

laugh.gif
you really think we've ben together for 10 years without 1 or 2 or 3 breaks in between??...lol...thats insane bro, we got together at 17 had our first break up at 20...i dated she dated...6 months later we hooked up again....broke up againnn at 22....i dated she dated....and then had our last break up because she didnt want kids due to school and i was ready...this was 4 years ago...we were apart for a year where we both got into another relationship...somehow we ended up back together and now weve been back for 3 years...i know im tired of other chicks...every female comes with their #!!@%+$%, its all a matter of lust, if you can control that then as a man you should be happy with the woman you truly love...
i just gave you wayyy tooo much info...lol
roll.gif

to say the least we've been thru it all.....i know its time.

ohh and her pops is a traditional dominican man and wanted us to get married before she left the house, but that didnt happen, since then hes been applying preassure, traditional dominican parents are very concern of what the neighbors might think....so he just wants our relationship to be legit...his daughter left his house a married woman kinda thing you know?
I still don't see why you want to get married.

It's not like it means you'll love each other more.  You can still live with each other without being married.  You can still have a family with a good foundation without being married.

Taxes? ehh.  What happens if you guys take another "break" again?  That marriage license will surely @@$% things up.  You're entering into a contract that is not beneficial for you at all.

What can a marriage license do for you that you can't do without one?

Back
Top Bottom