WELCOME TO THE MARVEL MULTIVERSE -*RIP STAN LEE & Boseman* - XMEN97 FINALE out now

I've been pondering this TOP 5 MCU movie thing we hav eall been saying.........
This is how i feel now...
It is hard to rank this in my top 5 MCU, i think at times. def #2, but at other times i think between 3-6

But in my movies that i've seen in my lifetime.
This is Def Top 5. Strip away the MCU title we've been giving it. and it's just a movie, that I'm proud to have seen made. regardless if BP was in the MCU or this was just a hero film.
I'm happy to put this in my Top 5 of overall entertaining movies ever.
From what we've all been saying. Visuals, Acting, Action, Comedy, message.

I think its very possible for this to not be #1 in my top MCU movies and be a top 3 in my favorite movies ever.
I feel like when im grading MCU im grading on a different scale.

GREATEST MOVIE EVER

First, Im gonna tackle this from a MCU movie perspective. Where it fits within the MCU is easily top 3 to me, up there along with Avengers 1 and Cap: Winter Soldier. The fact we are having a Black Panther movie is still mind blowing. How they tied in Civil War and Age of Ultron with this movie was magnificent

Secondly, as a black man that wants nothing more in this world than seeing my people in a better place worldwide this film spoke to me in a way that I never experienced before. Culturally I would say this is the most important black film of our generation. It spoke volumes on how divided we are as a people all over the world, but also the potential we have to be greater. I can get into the little nuisances like how black women should view their hair, how disconnected the African diaspora is, etc. but you get the point.

Easily the most politically driven comic book film, bar none.

The performances were incredible. Mike B. Jordan as Killmonger was probably the best MCU villain in a single performance, better than Ego in Guardians 2. Okoye was a boss, Ulysses Klaw even though he didn't last long was exactly how I envisioned him. WINSTON DUKE as M'Baku aka Man-Ape was a proud moment for me, I'm happy for his mom and sister who I know personally. Knowing that a friend of mine was a part of something so magnificent brought a tear to my eye (seriously).

This movie was just too real for me, with all of those factors I consider it the best movie experience I have ever had and the best film I ever watched. Technically it was brilliant too, if you are not a comic book movie fan or even a black person this was still a great film in its own right.

Yea, the CGI at times were not the best, but its still the best looking Marvel Studios movie along with Guardians 2. Seeing Wakanda so vibrantly and great representation of Wakanda, but also African culture was a triumph.
This was a documentary on black culture but disguised a a comic book action movie.

So with all those factors I am going out on a limb and saying its the greatest movie of all time. Bring on Avengers: Infinity War

I still see him as a villain.

Just thinking about the cinematography and all the beautiful colors and how it was shot, especially the first ritual and how it was set up which made the final battle in the dark even more disappointing.

But I also have to echo even more, the women in this film was just damn! Definitely a highlight of the film. Got to say though, I was loving Shuri but anyone else feels weird because despite the actor being 25 yrs old she looks so much younger in the film?

Would yall consider Killmonger more of a Villian or Anti Hero?
I would have said anti hero up until he revealed his plan after becoming king which was to arm the oppressed, killed the oppressors, their followers, .....and children. That had me like well damn.

Side note: Better villain than Loki IMO.

The only comic movies that excelled in special FX was Nolan’s Batman films & that bcs Nolan made a conscious decision that he was going to use live action, sets, & stunts.

The recent Star Wars movies have done a pretty good job with FX...

All the other DC & Marvel movies overly rely on cgi. To that end the cgi has been sub par at best in a majority of these movies & poor in general.

90% of the comic movies have aged horribly. They look extremely dated & don’t have much rewatch value for me.

To complain about cgi at this juncture is really making a moot point.

Black Panther might be the only Marvel movie that actually told a linear story & had character developement.

All the other Marvel flicks were clearly made for suits by suits exclusively to be tent pole projects.

It’s clear Coogler had free reign & thus made the first Marvel movie to actually tell a story...

I gotta watch GotG 1 again cause I don't have it rated as high as lot of people here.

Anyways...

Since there's no more heart shaped herbs, there can't be another BP after T'Challa right?

Can I go into Black Panther blind or do I need to have watched other movies? I've slacked hard on my Marvel game lately.

90% of the comic movies have aged horribly. They look extremely dated & don’t have much rewatch value for me.

To complain about cgi at this juncture is really making a moot point.

I got to disagree here, cgi-wise, IM films have stood the test of time. A1 and AoU, WS and CW still all looked pretty damn good and I can't wait to own it in 4k.

Even GotG and it's sequels pretty good, I felt like they've never fallen to the DC-cgi-fest despite the heavy use of the green screen until BP and really it was just the end battle, every other cgi in the film including the chase scene was spot on.

I feel that the BP suit should have had flawless cgi, cgi tend to falter when it is on a human face or body part but with suits, it can be pretty flawless. Even the old Sony Spidey cgi suit still looks great to this day.

I gotta watch GotG 1 again cause I don't have it rated as high as lot of people here.

Anyways...

Since there's no more heart shaped herbs, there can't be another BP after T'Challa right?

That's why I was thinking I missed the Vibranium explanation. Like, they come in plant form? Or the meteor that crashed was full of it and affected the local plant life. And where the Infinity Stone fits in all of this.

heart shaped herb...

yeah it was affected by the vibranium in the soil

they could probably still grow some by the time T'Challa has a successor

My opinion on Killmonger
I dont think he is dead...........The black panther powers were never taken from him like T'Challa had it taken away before the fight at the waterfall, so he will heal and come back in the sequel wanting wakanda to rule the world instead of just helping and working with other countries.

BUT, if they did really end the character in that way, I`m cool with it.

The end was sort of anti-climactic because i didn't HATE him as a villain. I can definitely identify with his side of things.

My opinion on Killmonger
I dont think he is dead...........The black panther powers were never taken from him like T'Challa had it taken away before the fight at the waterfall, so he will heal and come back in the sequel wanting wakanda to rule the world instead of just helping and working with other countries.

BUT, if they did really end the character in that way, I`m cool with it.

The end was sort of anti-climactic because i didn't HATE him as a villain. I can definitely identify with his side of things.

I think he is one and done unfortunately, T'Challa probably gave him a burial unlike his dad did to his uncle and he also would respect dudes wishes.

The way I see it is that T'Challa wanted to return and come back to life to straighten everything out and fix all the mistakes and problems as he explained to his dad.

Kilmonger seems fine to be dead and as he said, he'd rather die than be in bondage.

I got to disagree here, cgi-wise, IM films have stood the test of time. A1 and AoU, WS and CW still all looked pretty damn good and I can't wait to own it in 4k.

Even GotG and it's sequels pretty good, I felt like they've never fallen to the DC-cgi-fest despite the heavy use of the green screen until BP and really it was just the end battle, every other cgi in the film including the chase scene was spot on.

Look, I’m an old head who read comics at a time when the likes of Jim Lee & Todd Mcfarlane were making a name for themselves.

It’s cool to see the characters come to life. I loved the fight choreography & seeing Cap use his shield in combat at the beginning of Winter Soldier when he fought Batroc. After years of reading Cap in various titles, that opening sequence blew me away. I was like that’s the Cap I always envisioned!

Having said that, we will agree to disagree. Marvel flicks (& DC too) overly rely on CGI as a whole. They look more like video games than actual movies.

I mean look at the recent Star Wars flicks vs their Marvel counterparts. The difference in FX is night & day. The FX in the Star Wars flicks are stellar.

There really hasn’t been any Marvel movies for me that had rewatch value.

Late last night The Dark Knight was on cable. I turned to it right when Bats was planing to kidnap the Chinese money man & take him back to Gotham.

There is not one scene in any other Marvel or DC flick that rivals something like that. It’s so natural looking with a killer score for the scene to highlight the drama. Especially when Batman & the guy get hooked by the plane... The score just thumps & makes the scene so much more better.

I think for me I see clearly how much involvement the suits have in comic movies in general that make it less a good story & more an attempt at making a block buster...

They just don’t get that if you tell a great story, eveything else will fall into place.

The suits (who we all know are proly all white) for Black Panther were proly like “we don’t get this Africa s**t, so we’ll give him (Coogler) free reign. If he effs up we can blame it all on him & we don’t have to make another black film”. :lol:

I’m hype for Coogler. I can’t wait to see what he does next. The jump from his 3 movies is spectacular. Interestingly he’s had creative freedom in each of those films & more than delivered.

Last edited:
I get what you are saying, practical fx will always trump cgi about 99% of the time but what I am saying is Marvel has done better in the past that being disappointed in BPs cgi isn't moot, it is a valid complaint.

You seem to imply that most have bad cgi (to you) so we shouldn't even really complain but I don't think that should be the train of thought.

If it's bad, it's bad and deserves to be said.

Overall, it doesn't take away from the movie at all, especially this one.

I would also argue that the final battle in CW for example is on par and looks as good as Nolans practical FX. CGI mechs or alike are just perfected these days and IM always looks good and real and that three-way battle was pretty damn good.

But if none of the MCU films has rewatch value to you then I don't know what to say, maybe the whole MCU is just not for you? Because for none of them to have replay value means that it goes far beyond just the fx in the films.

I think he is one and done unfortunately, T'Challa probably gave him a burial unlike his dad did to his uncle and he also would respect dudes wishes.

The way I see it is that T'Challa wanted to return and come back to life to straighten everything out and fix all the mistakes and problems as he explained to his dad.

Kilmonger seems fine to be dead and as he said, he'd rather die than be in bondage.
Very true

i think there should be a Killmonger netflix series or something (leading up to this of course)
That`d be pretty dope

A Killmonger prequel doesn't sound like a bad idea foreal. Maybe put it on Netflix or something. The chick playing his girl could get it too lol

Going again imax At Burbank.

Bros when he ran out of the building with the Lexus behind him and did the backwards flip changing to his BP suit :wow: :wow: I spazzed out.

Couldn’t help but feel for Killmonger. He just went psycho at the end :lol:

He honestly could of won fair :lol:

I grew up reading Marvel exclusively & then started reading DC titles as my favorites artists jumped there and then discovered more DC titles & artists.

If anyone is a Marvel guy, it’s me. It’s just most of the films have been bad.

I mean Christ almighty, look how bad Vision looks on film.. It’s laughable. Ive seen better Visiona at Comic Conventions...

Back
Top Bottom