what do u guys think the most over rated basketball stat is

Originally Posted by LeBron

Turnovers. lol
LeBron+tried+May+30.jpg

blocks. some get away with goaltending. plus, forcing the offensive player into a bad shot is better than just going for the block in mid air.

All of them.

The basic triple slash PTS/REB/AST is useless without context and more information, how fast was the tempo?, who many minutes did the player play?/ who are his teammates?/what were his shooting percentages? How many possessions did he use?

Points Per Game. I hear so many people saying "he weak he only score 13 points a game." For example

Blocked shots and steals are overrated to me. I think players gamble too much as it is and often times, attempting to get either will put the defense out of position or cause a stupid foul.

To me defense is limiting your opponents chances from scoring, which is why I preach a non-gambling style. Yes those two stats can create transition situations but they just are too risky for my liking.

Also people read those numbers and assume a player is a good defender. No, I think it speaks of the players reflexes and anticipation which is only one part of defense. Defense is positioning and anticipation. But if I had to chose one as being more important I would go with positioning.

So to answer the question, blocks and steals would be my choice.

Originally Posted by purplenurple1414

Defensive rebounds. Of course any decent big will grab a good number of boards on the defensive end. 60% of them are effortless b/c the other team's already on their way back to D up.
Then again, we're talking overrated, not useless.

Actually defensive rebounds are very VERY important because they insure you that the offensive team isn't getting a 2nd chance/another possession. A defensive rebound ENDS a possession. You want as many possessions as you can get since you can only score when you have the ball. You want to limit your opponents possessions because possessions = scoring chances. So I have to disagree with the idea that defensive rebounds are overrated. If anything they are one of the more important statistical categories.

Originally Posted by purpleRElGN

win-loss record
Can't believe anyone said that. Easily the #1 reason why games are played. To win. Maybe regular season won-loss record isn't THAT important when it comes the playoff success of a team but we play to win the game. Anything that suggests winning is overrated isn't really accurate

Originally Posted by AgentPD21

Points Per Game. I hear so many people saying "he weak he only score 13 points a game."
Again, points is the most important stat. Yes, seeing a players PPG average doesn't say much about his efficiency, but to just say PPG is overrated is funny because the whole point of the game is to score more than your opponent. I see what you are trying to get at though. I think you should have said scoring efficiency is underrated instead of saying PPG is overrated

win-loss record
Can't believe anyone said that. Easily the #1 reason why games are played. To win. Maybe regular season won-loss record isn't THAT important when it comes the playoff success of a team but we play to win the game. Anything that suggests winning is overrated isn't really accurate
 It is kind of overrated because a lot of teams are better than their current record or worse than their record show.

Originally Posted by AgentPD21

win-loss record
 It is kind of overrated because a lot of teams are better than their current record or worse than their record show.

I understand what you are trying to say, but I wouldn't dare call it the most overrated stat. For the most part, teams are what their records show. You might have instances in which a team had an injury here or there, or another chance in their system/lineup/personnel. But for the most part, teams are what their record suggests. I don't need examples of when that isn't the case because I already said that my statement isn't ALWAYS true. But it is the majority of time. And that is not to say that the team with the best record should always win the ring.

The better teams have the better records. That is 95%+ accurate.

But I understand what you are trying to get at. Teams do under/over-achieve.

Originally Posted by Jdiddy931

Laker fans ftl again.

eyes.gif

--What does that got to do with anything my dude? Its a thread. Provide a more productive answer for discussion.
--I would also say win-loss record. It dont mean squat in the postseason. With the doouble double a close second.

How can anyone say assists are overrated? Getting a teammate an open look or giving them the ball in a scoring position is key. How is that overrated? You can say that home score keepers are too lenient at times but to say assists are overrated isn't right.

Steals. People think that steals = good defender.
Steals often times come from gambling on defense and getting a steal. Since steals are so rare, more often than not the defender goes right by and leaves a player open for a bucket or a layup.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

How can anyone say assists are overrated? Getting a teammate an open look or giving them the ball in a scoring position is key. How is that overrated? You can say that home score keepers are too lenient at times but to say assists are overrated isn't right.

yea but that player has nothing to do with whether he makes that shot or not say he gets him in terrible scoring position and he makes the shot on paper it looks like he got him a good look, but in reality he just made a great shot, that has nothing to do with the player thats getting the assists, points have something to do with you, rebs have something to do with you, steals have something to do with you and win loss record is a team stat not an individual stat plus u dont get rewards for winning or losing the most games (unless u want to count the lottery)

and getting the guy in good position isnt over rated getting the actual assist is

i agree steals are over rated but just in the sense that steals dont mean you are great defender and i thought everybody knew that, steals are the hardest things to get and are definitely not over rated only time they are over rated is when people use them to gauge how well a player plays defense and if u do that well............(same thing with blocks)

assist are the only thing in basketball that u really cant control
u can control your points by shooting more
control your rebs by getting in better position
control your steals by gambling more
control your blocks by gambling more

how can u control your assists? by making better passes? u can make great passes and still have nothing to show for it

Originally Posted by kobe4threebang

yea but that player has nothing to do with whether he makes that shot or not say he gets him in terrible scoring position and he makes the shot on paper it looks like he got him a good look, but in reality he just made a great shot, that has nothing to do with the player thats getting the assists,
How often does that happen. If someone is making a difficult shot or even taking a difficult shot, chances are they are attempting to create on their own so an assist probably wouldn't even be awarded in that case.

The vast majority of assists come from a pass to a player that IS in a prime scoring position.

Yes what you mentioned does happen but not to the point where it should be mentioned in efforts to downplay the value of an assist.

How can you control your assists you ask:
Making the right pass to the right person at the right time.

If you do MORE of that your assist numbers will rise. On any level of basketball. Of course you have to play with shot makers (which is your point). You can influence your assist #'s but you can't manipulate them much like other stats. Correct.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Originally Posted by kobe4threebang

yea but that player has nothing to do with whether he makes that shot or not say he gets him in terrible scoring position and he makes the shot on paper it looks like he got him a good look, but in reality he just made a great shot, that has nothing to do with the player thats getting the assists,
How often does that happen. If someone is making a difficult shot or even taking a difficult shot, chances are they are attempting to create on their own so an assist probably wouldn't even be awarded in that case.

The vast majority of assists come from a pass to a player that IS in a prime scoring position.

Yes what you mentioned does happen but not to the point where it should be mentioned in efforts to downplay the value of an assist.

How can you control your assists you ask:
Making the right pass to the right person at the right time.

If you do MORE of that your assist numbers will rise. On any level of basketball. Of course you have to play with shot makers (which is your point). You can influence your assist #'s but you can't manipulate them much like other stats. Correct.
u just proved my point

Any stat can be overated, especially if everything isnt taken into account.

Minutes played, fg attempts, teamates etc all have to taken into consideration.

well i am going to go with free throw percentage cuz Shaq has four rings with one of the worst free throw percentages in the history of basketball.

Back
Top Bottom