What happened to Tuned Air Basketball shoes?

IIRC, Nike made a total of four different Basketball shoes with Tuned Air in them.

There was the Air Force Max Plus, then the Tuned Forces, followed by the Garnett 3 and the Big Flyers.

Then.. nothing. Tuned Air was never to be seen again in a Nike Basketball shoe, and the unit in the
Retro version of the Garnett 3 is replaced with a standard Air Max unit.

I thought Tuned Air worked great in Basketball shoes, low profile, responsive, a more solid, even feel than Zoom Air, but without the bulk of an Air Max unit.

So was it just not popular in Basketball shoes, or did they simply remove it because it wasn't as cost effective as some
other options?

Originally Posted by NomadicSole21

Question should be what really happened to Tune Air at all?

word, retro's of air max plus got me through. even those have slowed down...ftl.

Head to europe fella, Footlocker gets at least 2 new colourways of the Air Max Plus a month on average

Originally Posted by swingshot

IIRC, Nike made a total of four different Basketball shoes with Tuned Air in them.

There was the Air Force Max Plus, then the Tuned Forces, followed by the Garnett 3 and the Big Flyers.

Then.. nothing. Tuned Air was never to be seen again in a Nike Basketball shoe, and the unit in the
Retro version of the Garnett 3 is replaced with a standard Air Max unit.

I thought Tuned Air worked great in Basketball shoes, low profile, responsive, a more solid, even feel than Zoom Air, but without the bulk of an Air Max unit.

So was it just not popular in Basketball shoes, or did they simply remove it because it wasn't as cost effective as some
other options?
don't even mention the plastic carbon fiber plate....
alien.gif
indifferent.gif

Big Flyers are so dope.

Some of my fav shoes are Tuned Air.

Honestly, this is why I haven't bought anything new from Nike in so long.

Ill stick to buying OG everything.

yea, good q....those tuned air bball kicks were major back then. the big flyers' and tuned forces were definite favourites of mine....

and yup, tuned air is still very much present here in da UK and Europe....

Quick question, is the Air inside the Rejuven8s considered Tune Air? If so, im thinking thats the most recent Nike shoe that contains Tuned Air.

tune air was so comfy.....wearing my og garnetts the other day, and they felt oh so soft......
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by NomadicSole21

Quick question, is the Air inside the Rejuven8s considered Tune Air? If so, im thinking thats the most recent Nike shoe that contains Tuned Air.
Nope, most definitely not. The Rejuven8 used a basic two-film (encapsulated) airbag...

It was a costly part to make: Air MAx plus the injected tuning parts.....too many $$$. Further, there were some patent issues.

Originally Posted by David Choi

Thought FL EU still releasing the TNs?!

the thread title refers to tuned air basketball shoes rather than tuned air in general.

Back
Top Bottom