What If...?

What if Jordan never signed with Nike? But instead, signed with Addias like he wanted. How would you feel sporting the "3 lines" instead of the Nike "swoosh"? Would Nike have become the coorparation it is today? You gotta really think, would the Air Jordans have lasted under the Addias name? Would Addias be the choice of athletic wear instead of Nike? We all know Jordan helped/if not made Nike who they are today.

NT whats your opinion...?

nike would still be the #1 brand in shoes...as for the air jordans.idk if they would have lasted because all the designers from the jordans are with nike...this would change the whole shoe and brand of jordan....maybe if he went with adidas he wouldnt have the jumpman logo.who knows...nike staff did great with the jordan shoes and MJ performed so well with the shoes...he would not have done good with adidas

I think adidas would have been a lot bigger than it is, but Nike would still be the biggest brand. They would have just given the Air Jordan 1 to another athlete.

If Tinker went to Adidas with him than Adidas would probably be the biggest brand. A big reason for Jordans being what they are is due to Tinker Hatfield. Thank god he went with Nike though.

1. Nike would have made much less profit
Without the air jordan line.
2. Adidas jordans would look less appealing,
because adidas basketball shoes rarely look
Good.
3. Jordan shoes would be made with better
Quality, because the quality issue at adidas
Is better than nike.
4. Mj might end up like kobe did, switching
From adidas to nike and causing a break
Of his shoe line.
5. Jordans would have less commercial success
With the adidas designs.

Originally Posted by zapatohead408

I think adidas would have been a lot bigger than it is, but Nike would still be the biggest brand. They would have just given the Air Jordan 1 to another athlete.

If Tinker went to Adidas with him than Adidas would probably be the biggest brand. A big reason for Jordans being what they are is due to Tinker Hatfield. Thank god he went with Nike though.

I think you are basically spot on.  We could have very similar shoes to whats in the jordan line even if he would have gone with adidas.  Of course interests and design elements change from player to player but i feel they would have been similar

- NIKE was willing to create an entire line for Jordan, while adidas was just going to add him to their existing stable of Jabbar, Isiah, Dr. J, etc... 
- NIKE + Jordan was a perfect storm of socioeconomics and vision that could not have been replicated elsewhere.
- Adidas basketball footwear design, marketing, and advertising for the last three decades was mostly garbage. 
- Peter Moore was talented, but nowhere near the level of Tinker Hatfiled.
- They wouldn't have been "Air" Jordans because NIKE had a patent and adidas was doing Torsion and Feet You Wear.
- Adidas never had the global vision to market NBA players.
- Adidas has relegated itself to copying NIKE's innovations - (NIKE +, Presto, SHOX, Ultralightweight uppers)

Ironically, Brand Jordan now is what adidas Basketball was in the 80's - a complacent, bloated global leader with uninspired product.

Mind blown trying to picture Jordan shilling the 3 stripes.

Imagine the Kobe8 Feet You Wear model or even the Kobe II, BUT only with MJ's visage. Can you picture it?

No way MJ or Adidas would have taken it to the next level, I never thought Adidas promoted their product as well as they could/can. Even their current PR ad campaign sucks

Too much of a perfect storm happened for Nike back then (awesome print ads, mesmerizing memorable commercials, overall PR campaign for athletes in general (not just MJ) they had Weiden & Kennedy, Tinker, etc.) for us to revisit history now...

As CWK put it succinctly in his last line, JB is now complacent riding the retro gravy train & watering their orchard of money trees.

QUESTION now is, since we are hashing the past, WHICH ATHLETE would Nike have gone with as PLAN B if Jordan did go with Adidas? Hhhmmm...

jbv1 wrote:

QUESTION now is, since we are hashing the past, WHICH ATHLETE would Nike have gone with as PLAN B if Jordan did go with Adidas? Hhhmmm...

pretty interesting thought... IMO... it would have either been Barkley, Len Bias (assuming they made an offer before the draft) or Ron Harper... I think...

I think the partnership between Michael Jordan and Nike was sort of a "perfect storm". His signing with Nike was unprecedented at the time in terms of value. Michael Jordan's success and Nike's desire to buck conventional wisdom in terms of styling contributed to a lot of consumers & other shoe companies to reevaluate their perceptions regarding the future evolution of the shoe industry . I don't believe Nike would be as big today as it is without Jordan. Nike took a huge gamble that other shoe companies at the time were unwilling to make. They hyped him, they marketed Jordan heavily and Jordan delivered on the court.

With that said, I think that if Jordan had gone with Adidas they could be the top shoe company today.

Originally Posted by Nowitzness41

What if airjackson23 never joined NT.....????? hmmmmm there would be 1 less idiotic thread in JB- but since the jprdan forum is garbage now anyways, i suppose its just fine. Oh, what go rilla said as well

roll.gif

What if airjackson23 never joined NT.....????? hmmmmm there would be 1 less idiotic thread in JB- but since the jprdan forum is garbage now anyways, i suppose its just fine. Oh, what go rilla said as well

U ment Jordan? Oh yea Its just a topic to think about not that deep... no need to get your panties in a bunch

jbv1 wrote:
Mind blown trying to picture Jordan shilling the 3 stripes.

Imagine the Kobe8 Feet You Wear model or even the Kobe II, BUT only with MJ's visage. Can you picture it?

No way MJ or Adidas would have taken it to the next level, I never thought Adidas promoted their product as well as they could/can. Even their current PR ad campaign sucks

Too much of a perfect storm happened for Nike back then (awesome print ads, mesmerizing memorable commercials, overall PR campaign for athletes in general (not just MJ) they had Weiden & Kennedy, Tinker, etc.) for us to revisit history now...

As CWK put it succinctly in his last line, JB is now complacent riding the retro gravy train & watering their orchard of money trees.

I agree that is the question... Ima say Bias, Barkley or even John Starks

laugh.gif

jeez 
eek.gif

why so harsh my man
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by airjackson23

U ment Jordan? Oh yea Its just a topic to think about not that deep... no need to get your panties in a bunch  
Can't be serious. You meant Adidas?

Originally Posted by donmega

jbv1 wrote:

pretty interesting thought... IMO... it would have either been Barkley, Len Bias (assuming they made an offer before the draft) or Ron Harper... I think...
Air Bowie's?

sam_bowie3.jpg.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom