What is the big deal about having Nike Air on J's??

Originally Posted by AirUpHere23

Originally Posted by Air Marvin

I dont care if the logo of the shoe is swoosh or jumpman, what's important to me is the man and the story behind that shoe....

I agree totally. People need to realize that it's still a privlege to get any retro, not a right. Would I love Nike Air on the back of all the old school models? Sure, absolutely. But the fact they're retroing at all and the sales have been up for them should show you that the interest is still there in the shoe regardless of a "Nike Air" placement or not. People on NT contradict themselves...they talk like have a MAJOR issue with JB over things like this but are always one of the first people to hype up a shoe or buy multiples. If you don't like the way the company is going...DON'T BUY IT! Simple as that~

I would say that it's a privledge for the company to still get any money out of me based on their business practicesover the years. If any other well-respected company pulled moves that Jordan Brand has been outed for, I doubt their consumer base would remain steadfast. I'm not going to even mention them all, just the first few that pop into my head.

- "Limited" Nubuck XII's are an exclusive online release availableonly to jumpman23.com members. The demand for the package was very high and many people, like myself, had to resort to paying reseller prices on ebay. Roughly 6 months later, maybe even sooner, The Athlete's Foot has a FSR of Nubuck XII's, outside of the package at that, for $135.

- Laser IV online release fiasco. Many people were so desperate for the iconic colorway that even after being bastardizedwith the 20th anniversary laser print, still were trying to cop. I really didn't have the money for it, but I still made a tough decision & said I wasgoing to cop them. I had my $200 + tax & shipping ready and waited into the wee hours of the night refreshing my browser trying to get through to thestore, even after generous NTers found backdoor links.

- JB x Fakes - JB has their photoshoot for some urban magazine where Melo is wearing the Broncos color XIII lows and rightthere in a Jordan ad is a guy wearing a pair of fake 3's. They cover their tracks by acting as if it were a sample & release that fake pair about a 11/2 yrs. later. They also produced a T-Shirt that used a image of a fake retro IV that was ripped off a bootlegger website. The image is the obvious templatefor the shirt which is inverted in photoshop for a lighting effect & the Nike Air switched to a Jumpman. After recalling the shirts because they knew theywere fake, months later NTers start seeing the bootleg T's at Nike Outlets across the country.

- Sz. 13 cap on LS releases. There are plenty of people who wear a 14, 15, and 16 that have been faithful to the brandover the years and then JB pulls this on us. I understand that the demand isn't as high for larger sizes, but at the least limit 14-15 to online LSretailers like eastbay.

I would think that having a loyal customer base is a priviledge in itself and not something to be abused. Meth mentionedbefore in a post that even the best of the best get besides themselves and then have miles to makeup to get back to where they were, Cadillac being the companyhe pointed to (everyone knows that back in the day, a Cadillac was the ultimate sign of
pimp.gif
for many older people).

I agree with your point about if people don't like the shoe then don't buy it. At the same time though, it reallyisn't that hard to make more people like the shoes in the first place. When it comes to music, I'm a loyal fan of some artists & will always payfor their albums. I understand sometimes the stars don't line up right & you can't lay down a classic everytime. But as long as I feel you areTRYING to deliver and give me my money's worth, I'll buy the album. If you half@%$* it, I may as well download the bootleg for free, or in this case,cop some fakes.

Having Nike Air, IMO, makes the shoes look better. Also, it shows where the shoes come from.
In future, I'm getting the feeling that kids would think best basketball shoes in history is Jordan Brand instead of Nike.
In fact, I don't think they will know that Jordan Brand comes from Nike.
Besides, like ijapino said, it's up to them how they want to produce their very own products.

The reason you never understood is b/c you never own a pair of OG Jordans. Now if you had own a pair of OG or older retro Js with nike air on it, you wouldunderstand. The reason you don't think nike air is a big deal b/c you grew up seeing Js with the Jumpman logo, you don't know any better. That'sjust my OPINION.

Is there a law that states we can't be picky or we can't complain?

putting a jumpman on the back of the I's
grin.gif
I still never got that one

but real talk you think Nike will go in the same direction with this logo,
289410980.jpg
? ? ? One day will they just stop using the check on his too?

Probably would be this though if it did happen
289411548.jpg

Hey the only sense I can make of it is it's brand differentiation

By having that nike air on the back just shows pplthat its an actual air jordan not retros and its fum to laugh at the noobs who think there fake cuz thedont have the jumpman on the back ha!

i like that ferrari analogy, but im more of a domestic man....so its like when u get an old school mustang, eleanor for example, and start, and if u look attodays gt500, they are pretty resemblant, but eleanor has so much more class!!! todays gt500 is all tech and comfort aand then power...eleanor pushes 500 horseeasy out the 302, but todays gt aint pushin more that 34o bone stock...j's were originally more performance than looks, and back then and even today theyall about status, if u got a og ds aj1 limited, its the same as having a 1 of 30 in existence Eleanor GT500...both of the back then models and today modelshave the same set-up, but sentimentality, limitednes, and rarity factor into it...i prolly confused the hell outta u, but its like making an EXACT replica ofeleanor in mass production today, everyone with the og eleanors would kill themselves cuz theyre og mint whips would spiral down in value..=]

Originally Posted by showmedemkicks

The reason you never understood is b/c you never own a pair of OG Jordans. Now if you had own a pair of OG or older retro Js with nike air on it, you would understand. The reason you don't think nike air is a big deal b/c you grew up seeing Js with the Jumpman logo, you don't know any better. That's just my OPINION.

Is there a law that states we can't be picky or we can't complain?

Nah dogg cuz I'm 23 so I've been wearing J's since i was like 7 or 8... I only started seriously collecting them like 10 years ago...I have agood amount of og's... So I have plenty of them and it isn't a big deal to me....and I never said nobody can complain...all I was doing was stating myopinion that I don't understand what the big deal is....
Originally Posted by ijapino

When it comes down to it, it's NOT really a big deal. If we actually had a choice in the matter, we'd prefer it to be the way it was originally intended.

In the end, if we really want the shoe, we're gonna buy it...Regardless if it has a Jumpman on it or the Nike Air logo. It just sucks that it's gotten to a point where most of us have become content with the idea. We've settled on something we don't quite agree with.

While some people feel that way there's been numerous times on these board I've seen people say they WONT buy them cuz it doesnt have the nike airon them...thats what I really dont get..

seen this and almost flipped... seems more like a *hypebeast/noobie* question... nike signs on retros make it feel like an OG... u never know the feeling untilyou have ur own bred IV's...

If the shoe was designed and manufactured with Nike Air on the back, thats the way it should stay. Period. If they were to retro the X's again, and putNike air on the back instead of a jumpman, it would look stupid. Whatever the space in the back was designed for is what should always stay there. I will tellyou this. No Nike Air on the III-VI in the packages, no purchases from me. Guaranteed.

Originally Posted by AIR J XIII

There are some great responses is here, but there's another point that no one made...

Im not even going to mention the 94 retroes, but the fact that they, Jordan Brand which launched in 1997, started the modern retro era in 1999 with the retroes have ALL of their Nike Air logos, GREAT quality, and un-hiked prices, and now none of these aspects remain.

People wouldn't complain nearly as much if JB started the modern retro era without Nike Air and good quality, but they did.

Everything was great when they first started.

Then Nike Air was gone.

Then Quality left.

Now prices go up?

And some of you here have the nerve to say we shouldn't complain?????

GET THE $%#+ OUTTA HERE.
Realtalk. The shoe was designed to have the "Nike Air" logo on it. the tabs are shaped the way they are because they weredesigned to have the Nike logo on it. For us old cats who remember when Jordans were the epitome of sneakers the fustration is overwhelming.The quality of the shoes that JB has retroed recently are nowhere the same quality of the OGs or the first and second retros. We don't want to settle forsomething "close to" the OG that is suppose to represent the greatest basketball player who ever stepped on the court. Honor the man and the shoe.

Originally Posted by El Bro

If the shoe was designed and manufactured with Nike Air on the back, thats the way it should stay. Period. If they were to retro the X's again, and put Nike air on the back instead of a jumpman, it would look stupid. Whatever the space in the back was designed for is what should always stay there. I will tell you this. No Nike Air on the III-VI in the packages, no purchases from me. Guaranteed.

See responses like that is what I'm talkiing about... I can understand why most people would prefer nike air on them if thats how og's are.....butto not actually buy the III's because it does say nike air on the back? Come on I mean it would look pretty exactly the same except there's a jumpmanlogo instead...you'll never seen it when its on ur feet..you'll never notice its there... but oh well it just means more out there for me to buy...

Originally Posted by BlowDaWhistle

Originally Posted by El Bro

If the shoe was designed and manufactured with Nike Air on the back, thats the way it should stay. Period. If they were to retro the X's again, and put Nike air on the back instead of a jumpman, it would look stupid. Whatever the space in the back was designed for is what should always stay there. I will tell you this. No Nike Air on the III-VI in the packages, no purchases from me. Guaranteed.

See responses like that is what I'm talkiing about... I can understand why most people would prefer nike air on them if thats how og's are.....but to not actually buy the III's because it does say nike air on the back? Come on I mean it would look pretty exactly the same except there's a jumpman logo instead...you'll never seen it when its on ur feet..you'll never notice its there... but oh well it just means more out there for me to buy...

Go ahead and buy up all that garbage, as long as you know you're getting a second rate product.

put it like this...more people perfer the Nike Air than the jumpman in the back.....that simple....and JB doesnt give into popular demand...and that is whatpisses us off

Originally Posted by BlowDaWhistle

I've read all these responses and to me it just doesn't seem like a big deal... In my mind it's just people being picky and always finding something to complain about..but that's just my opinion...to each his own

I agree though about the overally quality of retro's not being up to par w/ the og's...i feel you on that one...
so besides possibly looking for cosigners, basically you just wanted to let people know that they are picky complainers. if the shoe doesnt have tomeasure up to the og cosmetically (nike air), why does the quality have to? jb is probably thinking that the shoes are wearable so why complain about quality?unless youre completely satisfied with the product, you cant throw stones. jb is granting us the privilege to purchase scrap%%$# reproductions
laugh.gif

I would say it matters, but not that much. I mean, sure why would they stop makin' the lower retros with Nike Air on it? (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6) I mean, I stillcopped the kicks I wanted, and quite frankly I was pretty satisfied...for the most part.

Thats your opinion, me being an old head (30) like the nike on them. Im not about hype or matching my clothes with jordans because they were mentioned in astupid$%!+ song. I went to alot of games in Cleveland to watch MJ(from Pittsburgh to see his career high 69) because I was all about the player 1st andsecondly becasue I loves the shoes. Thats what i remember is the shoes the way they were and the way i had them. You cant have that just jumping on the JBbandwagon. I want them how I had them. i am an OG collector but I could care less about them being too close to the original. F**k all that, the value of theoriginal is only as much as you make them worth. im not trying to get rich on my OG's, I just want tehm to have, and I want the retros to wear. just giveme a good retro of that.

its all preference. if you notice. the dudes that say, that they only want the Jordans that have Nike Air on the back still cop the retro jordans that have thejumpman logo on it. I personally don't see whats the big deal. its not like they put something that had nothing to do with the shoe on the shoe, likesomething that had nothing to do with jordan at all. the jumpman is on the shoe instead of the nike logo. big whoopdy do. the reason we even buy these sneakersis because the design of the shoe. before they started putting the jumpman logo on the kicks, did anyone even noticed that nike air was on the shoeanywhere???...lets be real. the only difference as far as design is that logo. is that really gonna make you not get them???....say they release the concord11's again and the infared 6's and they got the jumpman logo on it instead of nike, your telling me your not gonna get them cuz of that??..what can youdo?..your not the owner or even the marketing director of this company. they not gonna hear your pleads about putting that logo on their shoe, they wannaseparate themselves from nike and be they own entity. we buy these shoes cuz of the design and you got dudes saying...ohhh, they wack cuz nike isn't on theback...boo hoo...get a life. i feel for the dudes that are major collectors and are loyal to the sneaker game and want they shoes looking tru to the originalas possible, but when everything is almost on point as possible except for that logo, your not gonna cop??...lol, thats just funny to me. i personally love thedesign of most of the jordans, jumpman logo or not. those are my favorite brand of kicks. and as loyal to the brand i wear, i don't care about which logois on the shoe as long as i have the shoe, ya dig??

Originally Posted by mikeadog

real Jordans have "Nike Air" on them............
so your saying the ones the have a jumpman arent real? but i dont really care if it has a nike air logo or a jumpman logo, the shoe is still gonna befresh.

i dunno why would they alter jordans 1-VI.......they have plenty of other jordans to stick they're multiple Jumpmans around....

To me, the Nike logo makes a bolder statement b/c ultimately, they're the parent company. Not to mention, it brings many people back to those days when MJran the hardwood.

Back
Top Bottom