What Jordan was the first to be faked?

Originally Posted by heat23

Originally Posted by Mr Nike86

Originally Posted by Chico Cummings

The first ones I remember ever seein was the IV's...

Thats my guess from the searches i have done so far. I'm guessing there was an knock off cement IV that started this full blown outrage, due to it being the shoe that Jordan wore when he won the dunk contest, and from there everybody wanted to be like Mike.

If you're thinking of the one slam dunk contest from the free throw line. He was wearing

the white / cement III's. As for Will, I thought the fresh prince wore fakes.

Now I recall it... Back in those years, I believe they were not allowed to show any trademarked logo without permission.

I remember there was a thread in JB forum here asking on why there's no Jumpman logo on an upper deck card.

And yes, Mike won the dunk contest with IIs and IIIs.

I don't really know, but in NYC when it really really started to get bad is when the XI's got retroed.

Burberry, Gucci, and Louie Vouton prints and all of that. Colorways that out of wack back then, but are accepted colorways now like DTRT 3's.

Originally Posted by heat23

Originally Posted by Chico Cummings

The first ones I remember ever seein was the IV's...

Thats my guess from the searches i have done so far. I'm guessing there was an knock off cement IV that started this full blown outrage, due to it being the shoe that Jordan wore when he won the dunk contest, and from there everybody wanted to be like Mike.

If you're thinking of the one slam dunk contest from the free throw line. He was wearing

the white / cement III's. As for Will, I thought the fresh prince wore fakes.
Why would NBC supply there show with fake shoes? Lets be more serious now.

Ive only seen 2 people get it right..

Factory variants as we know then today, BLEW up with the OG XIV. There were some fake OG 13s....but the OG 14 exploded with hundreds of fake colors. Some ofthe colorways were FIRE - but the lack of authenticity was obvious - backwards jumpman, misshapes, etc.

Please, Fresh Prince was rocking Jay's all the time in that show. You can bet he was getting his Jay's straight from Nike probably before theyreleased. It's nothing but free advertising for them, so he would never need to wear fakes. And the only reason they blocked out the Jumpman on the introwas because NBC figured it was free advertising for Nike. It's the same thing you see in music videos these days when they block out clothing labels andsuch. If any of you saw the Fresh Prince back in the day, the Jumpman wasn't blocked out during the intro, it just something NBC did later on.

P.S. People have been making fakes a lot longer than you would imagine. Even pre Nike and Blue Ribbon Sports days.

8131574474cfb44829b56ce4bc5478843965c1f_t.gif

I found them, but can we count these as being the first fakes, since the look is so far off and no use of a jumpman? If thats the case we should be talking about shaqs as being the major knock off brand. In fact i saw some shaqs that looked excatly like the 22 the other day.
word, i also seen some Shaqs that immitated the solar eclipse dunks @ wal-mart
laugh.gif
, will post pics later

I'd like to start by saying wow, and giving my very first
indifferent.gif
tothe dude that said in his opinion Will rocked fakes.

Those shoes on page 1 are the PONY City Wings, and are most assuredly NOT fakes. Spud Webb won the Dunk Contest in those for Christ's sakes. There is aHUGE difference between fakes and knock-offs. In the 80's it was pretty common to find shoes that looked similar, but had different symbols (arrows, etc.).They were simply more affordable look-alikes that were made for places like Payless and KMart. Big difference there. We don't consider Shaq's PaylessAFI's to be "fake" in the same sense that we consider the variants on Ebay "fake." I guess counterfeit would be a more accuratedescription of what goes on now, as opposed to a similar design with no tradmark infringement.

The first "fakes" in the sense of the word that we use now (complete with trademarked symbols and boxes) were the O.G. Air Jordan I black/gold. Ahandful of these "counterfeit" Jordan I's made it out, and were surprisingly VERY good quality. Hell, even those O.G. fakes are worth quite a bitnow-a-days. But I don't recall any full-scale counterfeit reproductions until the XIV hit, around 1998-99. I first remember seeing them show up on legitO.G. auction sites like Vintage USA, listed as "factory variants." At the time, nobody knew what that meant, and like me, assumed that they wereauthentic, but more like P.E. versions. As NYGiants mentioned, some of the colorways were absolute fire! The same happened next with the XV's. I rememberbidding on a few pairs, but luckily, never winning. It was pretty small-scale for quite a while.

The epidemic as we now know it, started on here around late 2000/early 2001. When Jordan didn't retro the Black/Red XI's, the factories in Chinarealized there was a HUGE demand, they were missing out on a LOT of money, and decided to cash in. The created a "replica" black/red XI, and peoplewanted them so badly, they bought in at $150 a pop. They were brought to us first, right here on NT, by Hata-Takahashi. I remember the waiting list for a pairof these on NT was a MILE long...yes you heard that right. NT'ers were rocking these like there was no tomorrow, and they couldn't be produced quicklyenough. Next, the O.G. colors made their way out, along with O.G. colored "patent" low tops, and then a while later, all the crazy colors startedshowing up. For a long time, it was just crazy colored XI's and the Burberry/Gucci AFI's. The Black/Cement IV's slipped in under the radar. Theyhit Ebay, and shoe heads were getting owned right and left, thinking they were getting good deals on Retro IV's, until they got the shoes in the mail.Eventually, NT caught on, and made a list of what to look for. But the fake makers just took that, and corrected everything. We were basically their focusgroup, complete with market research, and a cheat sheet. It was just IV's for a while. Then, starting with the III's and II's, the flood gatesopened with all the different models and colors. That gave way to what's going on now...high quality, total replica counterfeits, complete with boxes andretro cards.

Peace,
J

yeah when I was young they would just make shoes that resembled the AJ 1's but didn't feature any of Nikes Trademarks or logos...I had a pair in thirdgrade and had the tongue rip out when I was tying my shoes...I went home early devastated....

I attribute this single experience to why I'm so obsessed with Sneakers & authenticity!

Originally Posted by never wear them

i highly doubt will would rock a fake kick...

to all you italians... lol check this out the italian version
laugh.gif

roll.gif
that is not right....the spanish version is pretty funny too...

Originally Posted by jshortt

indifferent.gif
to the dude that said in his opinion Will rocked fakes.

Those shoes on page 1 are the PONY City Wings, and are most assuredly NOT fakes. Spud Webb won the Dunk Contest in those for Christ's sakes. There is a HUGE difference between fakes and knock-offs. In the 80's it was pretty common to find shoes that looked similar, but had different symbols (arrows, etc.). They were simply more affordable look-alikes that were made for places like Payless and KMart. Big difference there. We don't consider Shaq's Payless AFI's to be "fake" in the same sense that we consider the variants on Ebay "fake." I guess counterfeit would be a more accurate description of what goes on now, as opposed to a similar design with no tradmark infringement.

The first "fakes" in the sense of the word that we use now (complete with trademarked symbols and boxes) were the O.G. Air Jordan I black/gold. A handful of these "counterfeit" Jordan I's made it out, and were surprisingly VERY good quality. Hell, even those O.G. fakes are worth quite a bit now-a-days. But I don't recall any full-scale counterfeit reproductions until the XIV hit, around 1998-99. I first remember seeing them show up on legit O.G. auction sites like Vintage USA, listed as "factory variants." At the time, nobody knew what that meant, and like me, assumed that they were authentic, but more like P.E. versions. As NYGiants mentioned, some of the colorways were absolute fire! The same happened next with the XV's. I remember bidding on a few pairs, but luckily, never winning. It was pretty small-scale for quite a while.

The epidemic as we now know it, started on here around late 2000/early 2001. When Jordan didn't retro the Black/Red XI's, the factories in China realized there was a HUGE demand, they were missing out on a LOT of money, and decided to cash in. The created a "replica" black/red XI, and people wanted them so badly, they bought in at $150 a pop. They were brought to us first, right here on NT, by Hata-Takahashi. I remember the waiting list for a pair of these on NT was a MILE long...yes you heard that right. NT'ers were rocking these like there was no tomorrow, and they couldn't be produced quickly enough. Next, the O.G. colors made their way out, along with O.G. colored "patent" low tops, and then a while later, all the crazy colors started showing up. For a long time, it was just crazy colored XI's and the Burberry/Gucci AFI's. The Black/Cement IV's slipped in under the radar. They hit Ebay, and shoe heads were getting owned right and left, thinking they were getting good deals on Retro IV's, until they got the shoes in the mail. Eventually, NT caught on, and made a list of what to look for. But the fake makers just took that, and corrected everything. We were basically their focus group, complete with market research, and a cheat sheet. It was just IV's for a while. Then, starting with the III's and II's, the flood gates opened with all the different models and colors. That gave way to what's going on now...high quality, total replica counterfeits, complete with boxes and retro cards.

Peace,
J

Whoa, thanks for the knowledge.

Originally Posted by vick619

Originally Posted by never wear them

i highly doubt will would rock a fake kick...

to all you italians... lol check this out the italian version
laugh.gif

roll.gif
that is not right....the spanish version is pretty funny too...

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
Wow

i think that the first fakes i can compltly remeber where the wizards color 11's it was at the time mj came back and he wore a pair of 11's with thepatent in wizard blue ...a few week/ mayb months later there they where and alot of nters believed they were real.. some people caught the okey doke

I remember back when I was in 6th or 7th grade my boy came to school with some fake IV's that his mom bought
for him at Payless Shoesource. They were called the XJ 900's. That was like 88 or 89. Ahhhhh memories.

Originally Posted by jshortt

indifferent.gif
to the dude that said in his opinion Will rocked fakes.

Those shoes on page 1 are the PONY City Wings, and are most assuredly NOT fakes. Spud Webb won the Dunk Contest in those for Christ's sakes. There is a HUGE difference between fakes and knock-offs. In the 80's it was pretty common to find shoes that looked similar, but had different symbols (arrows, etc.). They were simply more affordable look-alikes that were made for places like Payless and KMart. Big difference there. We don't consider Shaq's Payless AFI's to be "fake" in the same sense that we consider the variants on Ebay "fake." I guess counterfeit would be a more accurate description of what goes on now, as opposed to a similar design with no tradmark infringement.

The first "fakes" in the sense of the word that we use now (complete with trademarked symbols and boxes) were the O.G. Air Jordan I black/gold. A handful of these "counterfeit" Jordan I's made it out, and were surprisingly VERY good quality. Hell, even those O.G. fakes are worth quite a bit now-a-days. But I don't recall any full-scale counterfeit reproductions until the XIV hit, around 1998-99. I first remember seeing them show up on legit O.G. auction sites like Vintage USA, listed as "factory variants." At the time, nobody knew what that meant, and like me, assumed that they were authentic, but more like P.E. versions. As NYGiants mentioned, some of the colorways were absolute fire! The same happened next with the XV's. I remember bidding on a few pairs, but luckily, never winning. It was pretty small-scale for quite a while.

The epidemic as we now know it, started on here around late 2000/early 2001. When Jordan didn't retro the Black/Red XI's, the factories in China realized there was a HUGE demand, they were missing out on a LOT of money, and decided to cash in. The created a "replica" black/red XI, and people wanted them so badly, they bought in at $150 a pop. They were brought to us first, right here on NT, by Hata-Takahashi. I remember the waiting list for a pair of these on NT was a MILE long...yes you heard that right. NT'ers were rocking these like there was no tomorrow, and they couldn't be produced quickly enough. Next, the O.G. colors made their way out, along with O.G. colored "patent" low tops, and then a while later, all the crazy colors started showing up. For a long time, it was just crazy colored XI's and the Burberry/Gucci AFI's. The Black/Cement IV's slipped in under the radar. They hit Ebay, and shoe heads were getting owned right and left, thinking they were getting good deals on Retro IV's, until they got the shoes in the mail. Eventually, NT caught on, and made a list of what to look for. But the fake makers just took that, and corrected everything. We were basically their focus group, complete with market research, and a cheat sheet. It was just IV's for a while. Then, starting with the III's and II's, the flood gates opened with all the different models and colors. That gave way to what's going on now...high quality, total replica counterfeits, complete with boxes and retro cards.

Peace,
J
No need for stone faces. I made a mistake and spelled doubt wrong and have since edited my post.

I would never think Mr. Smith would wore fakes. Trust me.

im sure it was the XI around 2000 because canal st. & 28th st. was promoting those HARD! also u could check n see the back of the old source magazines forthose ad's.....that'll prolly give u a good timeline too.

I am sure there were fake XI's when the original XI came out, prolly around 96'.
Anyone have seen the 'running jordans' back in the days? the jumpman logo was a running guy instead of dunking, and it is concord XI, I have seen somepics before.
I dunno if it is considered as fake coz it is too obvious......

I'm also casting my vote for the XIVs. Before then there were cheap "knock off" shoes, like payless versions, but none of them claimed to be AirJordans. When the XIVs released you could search the net and find all kinds of websites selling off the wall colored XIVs like the fakes we see today.

jshortt

is correct with all his info, I remember when Hata first came onto NT, at the time we just didn't know what variants were Hata had detailed comparisonpictures of the XI's next to a real pair at the time everyone on NT was
eek.gif
on how close they looked to the authentic pair, we were also being told that Black/Red's would never re-release so everyone got hyped up over thevariants & Hata made $$$$$$$$$.

he would even take trades for real AJ's for his fakes
smh.gif

Originally Posted by B1LLY HOYLE

They faked OG 1's in white/red/black w/ arrow logos and what not....

Nike/JB has had AMPLE time to handle fakes.
roll.gif
tell me why i saw a pair on eBay last night!

2d9d_1.JPG

M!ke

Back
Top Bottom