What makes Foamposits so great?

Originally Posted by Animal Thug1539

underbird92 wrote:
Originally Posted by Animal Thug1539

Wear them before you actually question.

OK, but why?  What makes them better than any other shoe with Zoom Air? 

As other members have stated - the unconventional, innovative design along with the durability standards. It holds up very well over time, to the point where you will see deterioration on the soles before you ever do on the uppers and toe-box area of the shoe. You will probably never see a crease on the shoe. You have to remember, this shoe was designed around 1996 - it was ahead of it's time than and probably still is today.

The streaky Foamposite design, the carbon fiber, the inner boot all compliment this shoe as a very attractive durable basketball shoe. Sure they are slightly heavy, but heavier shoes have been known to protect the feet greater than shoes weighing something around the level of a Hyperflight. You'll also notice the stiffness of the Foamposite when taken right out the box to play ball in, but after time they tailor your foot for a personal fit.

Overall, great basketball shoe and heavily liked based on design. One of the best Nike shoes ever created IMO.

Agreed on all levels

They are tanks that can take a beating and still look good..not to mention they were the first of its kind and hold a special place as far as history and sneakers go. But i will admit HORRIBLE for balling in.

Originally Posted by heelntoe wit my nyks

Like many Jordan releases, people buy them because they are iconic.
this right here
its kinda the same. people associate the shoes with the times mane
...i watched Penny go from Treadwell to Memphis state to Orlando, then the decline......
he and other memphis standouts use to come to my high school to hoop regularly (elliot perry, todd day, david vaughn, lorenzen wright, etc)
u can still catch good ol Anfernee at the memphis games to this day
pimp.gif

Possibly the only shoe you can drop $200 that will last a decade.

Crazy as it sounds, the shoe is still ahead of its time (maybe not with the flywire and lunar foam tech...but its just reaching its time).

This is for a shoe that dropped 14 years ago.

the fact that they looked like tanks and almost looked fresh forever was what i liked about them.. gotta agree with animalthug, one of the best designs ever..

200 makes them special no matter what... if you stay on top of them as far as maintenance you can have them for a while.. one of the only shoes i clean the bottom of to keep them crispy.

you gotta see that laced episode to understand

Originally Posted by purplehazen

the fact that they looked like tanks and almost looked fresh forever was what i liked about them.. gotta agree with animalthug, one of the best designs ever..

200 makes them special no matter what... if you stay on top of them as far as maintenance you can have them for a while.. one of the only shoes i clean the bottom of to keep them crispy.

OK That video answers everything.
happy.gif

I only like and have the following: Foamposite, Foamposite Pro, Flightposite 1, n Trainerposite.

Yeah, these are great because of their durability. Everyone knows that. How many sneakers can you name that you can get dirty and with one wipe of a damp cloth, make them clean again? I'm still so mad at myself for throwing away my all black foam pros. The left sole seperated and I was going through something and said scew it, and threw them away instead of gluing it. So stupid.....  

P.S. They ain't rare where I live (NYC). The concept of them being rare to me just doesn't register. Sorry.

Originally Posted by Wayne141

Very durable shoes, need very little cleaning, basically don't crease, comfortable once broken in, unique design/look, new technology (for its day), and Penny made them iconic by wearing them back in the day. They're admittedly not awesome for ball, especially compared to other shoes you can get these days, but if you're looking for something durable, comfortable, and unique, foams would be a good pick.

nail on the head...

Two reasons for me: Nostalgia and top-of-the-line.

If you had the original neon royals on your feet in 1997 you were doing it big.  $180 MSRP (crazy for that time), clear soles, the lack of a huge swoosh and that crazy blue foam.  There was no shoe at the time that could compare with the technology and the "neck-breaking" ability of the OG Foam 1.

I remember seeing them for the first time in SLAM.  I remember staring at the TV while the Wildcats rocked' em in their run in the NCAA tourney or watching Penny do it up with his custom black-markered up pairs. I was more than ecstatic when I got my pair at a local Footlocker, wore them maybe 4 times before my foot out grew them, so now that I am able to triple and quadruple up on retros I will.

As a shoe nerd the Foam Pro hit me in a different way, with it's more friendly (to match) colorway, state-of-the-art "optimal motion" sole and being Pippen's shoe didn't hurt it's ability to sell one bit.

I find them very comfortable. On the heavy side but the technology when it first came out was ahead of its time. Too many colorways since tho..

foamposites are one of da kicks that were for da true blue sneaker enthusiast...they would sell out at 180-200 quietly every year in da east coast (NYC mainly)

it wasn't till da eggplant penny foamposite that people got "it"

even now they mostly sell out here da most.

Originally Posted by underbird92

Originally Posted by purplehazen

OK That video answers everything.
happy.gif

works everytime

I have always liked foams because you can wear the hell out of them and they still look great. No creasing, bending, etc. Also because they look great for casual or ball, shorts or jeans. Just a great overall sneaker.

Foamposites are great because when they first released people said they were ugly and looked like moon boots.  I thought I was a darker Bibby back in the day, lmao.

the shoe is indestructible and looks amazing...still till this day it looks like a shoe from the future

Originally Posted by ninjahood

it wasn't till da eggplant penny foamposite that Nike got "it"
fixed

until after the chaos of the 09 eggplants Foams weren't readily available like they are now.

I didn't read through the topic but you kind of had to be around and into shoes in 97 to understand the significance of this shoe. There had been a handful of retros but there wasn't really a retro market yet. Whatever was hot was original and signiature shoes popularity coincided with the player's popularity. There wasn't really the whole internet thing like there is now where everybody could see shoes early and the penny 1 and 2 had done real well.

So these dropped and they were a first in terms of technology and price point (minus maybe the nike pumps) and not to mention they looked good. If you were rockin these then you were that dude. That is why they are hot now. These are undisputed classics. But again, you almost kind of had to experience that era to fully understand.

Back
Top Bottom