What Motivates YOU? How do YOU measure success?

I'm just curious...I want to know what motivates you to get up and do the stuff that you do and to do it at a high level of success.

Sometimes we can all get lost along the way and we start straying from what got us to certain points in life...money used to be my automatic answer....but after I thought about it, money really isn't it....I guess having the freedom to do whatever you want is (which in turn is money).
And to me success is being able to look and say I did what I came here to do, I met my goal(s).

Anyhow.....sup?

Last edited:
Success, or the potential for success.
Proving doubters wrong.
Being a positive role model to my children.

And when all else fails crush my enemies. See them driven before me, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

All of my close friends since middle school keep me motivated. No bums in my circle, even though we always look out for each other (whether its through employment opportunities, extensions of relationships to other people with pertinent information etc) we secretly always try to one up the other. It's a glorious cycle that keeps us shooting higher and higher.

Also my moms and pops coming here with nada and hustling to give me a greater opportunity.

Making goals for myself that I personally find enriching, then achieving them. At that point it isn't just a checkbox, but something that brings me happiness and I enjoyed going through and the results. If most of the task I do in life can revolve around that I consider myself successful.

Making my parents proud.
But what if the thing that makes your parents proud is something that you personally don't have interest in? I know people who go to school for a particular major, marry a type of person, etc just so that their parents are proud. They could careless or even hate what they do. If its something that makes your parents proud and also something that you are happy in doing then that's fine in calling it successful imo

Making my parents proud.
But what if the thing that makes your parents proud is something that you personally don't have interest in? I know people who go to school for a particular major, marry a type of person, etc just so that their parents are proud. They could careless or even hate what they do. If its something that makes your parents proud and also something that you are happy in doing then that's fine in calling it successful imo
word I see where you're coming from. Hopefully in the end of the parents are understanding and truly love their child, I'm sure they'll see the successes the same way the child does in whatever they choose to accomplish.

What motivates me is the big mansion in Saratoga.

How I measure success will be the old stone building that will stand for centuries.

What motivates me?

Well, it's a lot of things from positive to negative:

- Making my parents proud and all their sacrifices worked out
- The happiness of my siblings
- There's better days ahead
- This may sound ****** up, I have some older cousins pushing 40 or over 40 who haven't done **** for themselves. This motivates me to not end up like them when I get to that age.
- The ****hole apartment I currently live in.
- some people I personally know are doing worse than me.

How I measure success?

If you love what you do, you haven't worked a day in your life.

Making my parents proud.
I wish I was on my computer right now so I can type a coherent reply.

My mom is definitely a big factor. She raised me from age ten onwards. She worked many odd and dead end jobs to pay bills. Going out to Denny's back then was a treat. This will forever be the fire in my belly.

I'm a weird one because I can be turnt up with my friend in one minute and the next minute, I'm thinking it's getting boring and will get back to connecting with local 'treps for projects.

I set high standards for myself and will do whatever it takes to reach them. Life should be at cruise control for me at this point after college...go to work, get experience, get raise, have a family, etc. But I desire more. I want to turn my ideas into fruition.

Probably going to edit this when I'm home so it flows better.

Edit:

Typing from the computer now, so more in-depth reply.

Success is not measured by how rich you get. I have friends who are teachers because they want to change lives. If they can have that effect on their students, then they are successful because they accomplished the goal they set out to do.

For me, on a personal level:

I always want to challenge myself and never be stagnant. I won't lie...I have a very expensive taste in life. I want to find a way to fuel that lifestyle by turning my ideas into reality. The beautiful part is that there is no map, no one telling you how to do it. If I try and fail and never be able to live said lifestyle, then it's all good as well because I knew I tried.

After working for various corporations on the management level after college for 5 years, I can't do it anymore...no matter how great the pay is. Too many thoughts about 'what if..', I can't let that follow me to my deathbed.

Short term goal is to get an idea up and running by the end of the year, and have it be profitable within 2 years. I want to challenge myself in all aspects and can't see myself in cruise control right now. I want to stay active for as long as I can...working out 4-6 times a week and eating clean for the most part. I believe this helps you stay sharp mentality as well.

For me, on a broad level:

Once you become successful and accomplished, you have plugs and connections from the bonds you forged along the way. Once I get to this level, I plan to get into philanthropy. Being that I wasn't born in this country, I knew how hard it was just to go to college or get in at least. I want to do something for first generation Americans. I also want to do whatever I can to help all my friends succeed (legally of course). I feel it's important to give back once you are able to.

Sorry for the babbling. Been on NT for over a decade now so I feel I can be totally truthful as where I stand at almost 30 years of age.

Last edited:
time is the ultimate luxury

so i want to do something that allows me to spend my time how i like

so that means working a millions times harder in my 20s so i can use time freely later for family and stuff

working a 9-5 forever is garbage

I wish I was on my computer right now so I can type a coherent reply.

My mom is definitely a big factor. She raised me from age ten onwards. She worked many odd and dead end jobs to pay bills. Going out to Denny's back then was a treat. This will forever be the fire in my belly.

I'm a weird one because I can be turnt up with my friend in one minute and the next minute, I'm thinking it's getting boring and will get back to connecting with local 'treps for projects.

I set high standards for myself and will do whatever it takes to reach them. Life should be at cruise control for me at this point after college...go to work, get experience, get raise, have a family, etc. But I desire more. I want to turn my ideas into fruition.

Probably going to edit this when I'm home so it flows better.

This is exactly why I asked the question....a few years back after a few life experiences, I found myself not really caring about a lot of things that I should....I'm slowly getting back to the old me, but it's tough to find that motivation that has me bringing my "A-Game" to each venture....

This is exactly why I asked the question....a few years back after a few life experiences, I found myself not really caring about a lot of things that I should....I'm slowly getting back to the old me, but it's tough to find that motivation that has me bringing my "A-Game" to each venture....
My man...I'm going to type up a full blown essay tonight :lol:

I've been on NT since the 10th grade in 2002 so I had many stages. It's crazy how your life changes and your perspective changes as you mature up.

Quick advice for you: you need to get rid of the deadweight and hang with positive folks. You are the outcome of your 5 closest friends. This is why I attend so many 'trep events and motivational speaker seminars from successful people...to network. I was having a hard time finding folks that can relate to me on this level.

I really don't know what motivates me professionally.

Physically I just want to live a solid life. My father has always had self inflicted health issues so that drives me. Never want to be like him from that standpoint

does the trinidad carnival still motivate u papi?

That's the only thing that will get me out of my bed at 5am to do sprints on a treadmill.....then it comes and life goes back to normal for 6 months and I get skinny again.

Last edited:
Money keep a ***** motivated
Molly keep a ***** motivated
Percocet keep em motivated
Good drank keep a ***** motivated

Guap is a serious one. Not the answer you're looking for but its the honest truth for me.

I also figure with these 80 hour work weeks I can set something up to retire by 40. I have 13 years to build a company and employees.

My family doesn't motivate me as much as some I'm sure. I only really care about me and my daughter. Everyone else is straight. But I want to show her the good life. Even though I'm not with her mom there is no drama like me and my sister went through so that's good. Basically I want to be the opposite of my dad.

That's really it. I only focus on my daughter and companies. Everything else isn't that important to me. Retiring young really is though. I had her at a young age so I want to be able to do hella stuff with my daughter while we're both young.

Also want her to figure out what she wants to do in life and set her up something of her own if possible once she's in her 20's. She's 8 now :lol:

Last edited:
Success, or the potential for success.
Proving doubters wrong.
Being a positive role model to my children.

And when all else fails crush my enemies. See them driven before me, and to hear the lamentations of their women.
:lol: the lamentations part

What motivates me?
I just have a will for greatness. To be recognized for consistent excellence at every and anything and I do. ( I actually even care bout my rep count- wish it could be converted into point or something for prizes/ giveaways - do it Meth ). My dad prolly instilled that in me.

I measure success by counting the big smiles and uncontrollable laughs by my wife and kids and weighing them against the moments of sadness and frustration.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom