What non-J's has Tinker Designed

That's pretty much the reason andre left, SinnerP. And also the fact that his wife steffi graf was also sponsored by adidas helped to"sway" his decision.

Federer is pretty much our new "wild-style bad boy" tennis player that andre used to be.

Federer? really? he seems to be a bit too 'proper' for the wild-style image... especially with the Wimbledon white suit... I figured Nadal would bethat guy, with his sleeveless shirts and whatnot...

its a pity agassi left Nike though...

In actuality, we kind of "split" agassi's old image into our current players Federer, Blake, and Nadal. It's kind of a "jekyll andhyde" type of marketing. There is no "one true image replacement" for andre.

And on that note, we still have yet to "revive" a Pete Sampras/Jim Courier type of conservative, conventional clothing line.

MenofOregon, thanks for all the great info.

MJ is my sports hero, and Tinker is DEFINITELY my hero in the art and design world!!! These guys have literally reshaped my life. Thank God for them.

Speaking of Tennis image... was Tinker responsible for the "Tennis Sucks" campaign in 1995? Since it appears that he designed the Air ChallengeLWP... sorry for bombarding you with all these questions...

Originally Posted by MenofOregon

efe159f9fcfc6d586360b37a4fa85f9608c5308.pjpg
, is still very much with us. In fact, he re-designed and released the Air Force 1 2007. He also is the Director of Advanced Research and Development for Nike. He designed the original Air Force 1 back in `82, Dunks, and SHOX.[
boothismanda7.gif

boothismanda7.gif

boothismanda7.gif

Originally Posted by SinnerP

Speaking of Tennis image... was Tinker responsible for the "Tennis Sucks" campaign in 1995? Since it appears that he designed the Air Challenge LWP... sorry for bombarding you with all these questions...
No problem.

Tinker doesn't really get involved with marketing campaigns. It's a collaboration between our marketing department and our award-winning advertisingagency Wieden + Kennedy.

size twelve, why would you "booo" Bruce Kilgore???? I don't think he's done anything to warrant that kind of a response..?

MenofOregon - thanks for all the great info. Very much appreciated.

Awesome post. For those of you interested in the history of the Air Jordan starting from day one, I encourage everyone to read "Driven from Within".A lot of it is written by Tinker and David Falk, who coined the phrase 'Air Jordan'. Lots of original sketches in there.

One of the greatest mysteries in that book is that it said Strasser and Moore had already designed a shoe for Michael in 1987/1988 as incentive to jump shipand leave Nike. I always wondered what that shoe would have looked like, and how it would compare to the III, the shoe that made MJ stay.

The most underrated Jordan of all time is also the most revolutionary for it's time--the II. It was supposedly an "industrial design project" butcompletely changed the way basketball shoes would be made from that point on.

I wonder whats in Tinker's shoe collection... that is, if he has one...
If you look around his work space you'd have a coronary. He has shoes that are a 1 of 1 made.

^ haha, hmmm... I'll have to swing by when I visit Nike HQ... in the meantime, I'll have to rely on guys like you to give us the lowdown...

You can also catch him at the Oregon Ducks home games. He's always there! You would also see Phil there too. They are big time contributors/supporters oftheir alma mater.

P.S., if anyone gets a chance to talk to him please don't ask him "annoying" questions about the "future of Jordan Brand", or anyridiculous questions about "retros", or why Jordan Brand released "this color and that color" etc. etc.. He tends to shy away and divertfrom questions like that. It flat out bugs him. So please show proper respect in talking to him because he is a Nike Executive and a VP.

^ and ultimately he's not really involved on which shoes and in which colorway they are going to retro, is it?

^ and ultimately he's not really involved on which shoes and in which colorway they are going to retro, is it?

CORRECT! He is not involved with "retros". His primary focus is on future models and technologies.

MenOfOregon, while we are on the topic of advertising (Wieden + Kennedy), who handles public relations campaigns now at Nike? I know Manning Selvage & Leedid some work in the past, but what PR agencies/firms work with Nike now?

There have been several firms that have done work for Nike, such as clifford relations, O'Dwyers, etc. It also depends on which region or area they'rerepresenting. In Toronto, APEX has done some work for us. The list is pretty vast and changes constantly.

OK, thats what I figured. I know Nike uses an array of agencies for various campaigns; didn't know if they had started relying on one, though....

Also, just an FYI - O'Dwyers is a PR publication for people in the industry (like a Crains) and is not a PR firm! www.odwyerpr.com. I work for a mediadistribution company that specializes in feature stories for newspaper, radio and TV.

Being that we operate on six continents, I would assume that one firm cannot handle the magnitude of work involved in all our campaigns. Nike is very intent onbeing "politically correct" and sensitive when it comes to PR and legal matters.

back on topic a bit, i noticed going through the US patent website:

every Bo trainer:

SC I

SC II

SC III

Trainer max 91

Air trainer 1 high, low and the 20+ variations of that base model

air 180 runners

the list goes on im sure

Back
Top Bottom