What sport can you pick up later in life and maybe go pro?

I'm fairly certain I can go try out for a local soccer team and at the very least be competitive. I'm in my mid 20's and the diving/vagilicious actions I see by some of the game's 'greats' cement my sentiments. If you are lucky enough to be blessed with minimal athletic ability and can kick a ball, something you learn at the age of whenever you start walking, you have a shot.

There's isn't a chance in hell you make it in baseball, basketball, football or hockey.

As someone who raced bmx for 12 years I can tell you right now ain't nobody becoming a pro in that or road racing after 25...they might let you turn pro but you ain't gonna place

I don't think what alot of people are grasping here is that you have to have time to work at these sports, later in life.  It is impossible to do this if you have a full time job, never mind a family to provide for etc.  I was reading an article about a marathon runner who placed 17th, and it went on to say how she quit her job, lived off her husbands income, money from sponsors and loans.  So is just a general question or are we putting all those kind of dynamics into the equation as well?  Basically the time is not there to prepare, plan, and have someone to work / coach you.

Originally Posted by Mr Marcus

As someone who raced bmx for 12 years I can tell you right now ain't nobody becoming a pro in that or road racing after 25...they might let you turn pro but you ain't gonna place
what about ken block?

Originally Posted by TraSoul82

Soccer's probably the easiest sport to jump right into.

Na even MLS is flooding with pros from overseas these days. In the UK guys go pro at 16 yrs of age!

Originally Posted by tengoeljugode

I'm fairly certain I can go try out for a local soccer team and at the very least be competitive. I'm in my mid 20's and the diving/vagilicious actions I see by some of the game's 'greats' cement my sentiments. If you are lucky enough to be blessed with minimal athletic ability and can kick a ball, something you learn at the age of whenever you start walking, you have a shot.

There's isn't a chance in hell you make it in baseball, basketball, football or hockey.

no way on this one.  kicking a soccer ball is another beast, that one would have to be learned early.  also if you picked it up later in life you'd be past your prime by 25-28 anyways...

People saying golf have no idea. You could probably become competitive at a local level and maybe at a state tournament, but there is such a big difference between pros and amateurs it is unbelievable almost. If you aren't carrying a handicap of +4 or better at your home course you truly have no business even trying to Monday qualify for a PGA tour event or the US Open.

Originally Posted by Blazinbama

Originally Posted by tengoeljugode

no way on this one.  kicking a soccer ball is another beast, that one would have to be learned early.  also if you picked it up later in life you'd be past your prime by 25-28 anyways...

Seriously,everyone plays catch as a kid, guess I can be a WR.
Guys like Balotelliare  21

Originally Posted by prison mike

Outside of pitching, baseball.

indifferent.gif

I always find it interesting that there are more power forwards and big men that start late in basketball compared to any other position. Maybe the game has changed since I was in HS, but I grew up in a pretty competitive area for basketball and a fairly significant number of our big men started playing ball around their 8th grade year or upon entering their freshman year.

Even at the collegiate level, it is insane how much more skilled guards and smaller hoopers are when compared to most bigs. Guys like Bismack Biyombo don't seem like they have even touched a ball until their teens, they're just big as hell so they get a contract.

only basketball, if you have freakish size lol olowokandi, manute bol, they picked up bball late..not 25 yrs tho
olajuwon was just freakishly athletic along with long..but hes an EXCEPTION hes a top 10 player EVER..so i saw him mentioned in this thread..he does not represent the general public lol
IMO ..no sport can be picked up that late lol..esp when 99% of athletes in any sport are past their prime once they hit their early 30s

Golf is the obvious choice because age wont hurt you much in the long run but of the major sports I'd have to go with football.

It's really the only big 5 sport where athletes with relatively zero background have had success at even the semi-pro level.

Originally Posted by calibeebee

cycling and marathon running for sure.
I'm one of the two and trust me it takes quite a damn long time if you were to start @ 25 FROM SCRATCH
laugh.gif
We're talking about making it to the pros here, not a charity event. You just don't "pick up" either sport and make monumental gains right away.

...for sure
roll.gif

..they might let you turn pro but you ain't gonna place
probably a Domestique at the most.

Before that you have to be making a killing in every major competition there is in your homeland which is pretty much a difficult task since most up and comers are about 19 and race TDF @ 22 (word to the Tourminator
pimp.gif
).

Originally Posted by SCuse7

People saying golf just don't know....no chance your going to pro if you pick it up late.
But I guess Poker, racing cars, pool

Y.E. Yang picked up golf at 19 I believe, worked for him.
25+ = no chance though

Originally Posted by Weather

Originally Posted by SCuse7

People saying golf just don't know....no chance your going to pro if you pick it up late.
But I guess Poker, racing cars, pool

Y.E. Yang picked up golf at 19 I believe, worked for him.
25+ = no chance though
How is there no chance? If Yang started at 25, what would have stopped him from making it as a pro six years after he did?

People aren't saying golf because they don't respect the skill, they're saying golf because you can continue to master your game and be competitive well past your physical prime which you simply can't do in most sports.

Originally Posted by Nawzlew

grin.gif
You aint seen the movie with the old dude who became a pitcher? Wasn't that based on a real life? He was a pitcher though

Originally Posted by CoupeIt88

indifferent.gif

I'm serious. Baseball is the only sport where someone considered an athlete from a different sport can come in and find a spot. However, baseball players would get murked if they tried to play any other sport professionally.
And can we please stop saying Poker. That's a card game, not a sport. 

Lotta people here are underestimating what it takes to be a professional athlete... most top level athletes have dedicated their lives to their respective sport. And humans learn fastest and most effectively when they're young. It doesn't just happen when they're like 30 and decide to pick up a sport

And people bringing up cases of a rare phenomenon, there's a reason you can point the exceptions out, cause they're the rare genius talented exceptions

This is a tough question.  If you are good enough to pick up a sport and be a professional that means you have a lot of athletic talent to begin right?

So at age 25 if you took some one who was a professional sprinter and said learn to catch a football or run with one?  I think they might be able to go pro because they have elite speed.

Same with an MMA fighter who is 25 years old.  Maybe....MAYYYBBEEE you could learn to put on pads and play football professionally later in life.

For you to be a professional in any sport you need elite skills.  So i would think that it is definitely possible if you are coordinated at an elite level in something else.  But could an average person pick up a sport and go pro at 25 years old.......an average person can't be a professional athlete if they start a sport at age 1.

Originally Posted by YoungTriz

Originally Posted by Mr Marcus

what about ken block?

Ken block doesn't race bmx...dude made all his money from dc shoes

Back
Top Bottom