What was the reaction to the Penny IVs when they were originally released?

i remember the all black ones where on sale for $30 at the nike outlet. they had a full size run, then one day some chinese dude came in and bought all ofthem.

IV's were dope...I like these a lot and Penny has the illest sig line besides MJ

if u think about the progression of the penny line it seemed to be going in reverse for example the iv should have came first then iii and so on

it just seemed like the the style and technology went backward in time and not progressing

ex look at how much futurerictic the penny ones are than any other penny's , compared to the jordan ones to the 20's

and he needed more of a lock down fit.....

basketball wise the IV's are probably one of the best performing of the line......

Originally Posted by blco02

Penny's sucked after the II's.
I thought I was the only one.

I never cared much for the foams either but I;m probably alone on that one. However a friend of mine did lend them to me for a basketball game once in like 7thgrade and I had 14 pts in one quarter. So I like them out of nostalgia.

The front of the shoe reminded me too much of the XIII. The ankle strap bugged me, and the lace cover just seemed pointless.

In terms of aesthetics i think it is by FAR the weakest shoe in the Penny line, although correct color blocking does a lot for it.

pennyIV12999.jpg

these joints sold DUMB fast when they dropped....

i haven't seen a crispy pair in person in years.

I always liked this shoe, probably not the best looking in the Penny line but that is debatable since I know the 3s were a hate/love shoe(I personally lovedthe 3s).
I think reaction was not bad till Nike released too many CWs for their own good.

i stopped paying attention to penny during that time frame... I and the rest of the world had their Jordan on
708570280_d894b45ae6.jpg

didnt like them at first but they (white/black/blue) were only 29.99 at the folsom outlet here in ca. so i gave it a shot. turned out to be a great buy. socomfortable

I was definitely a fan of them! I thought it was a little strange that they decided to simplify the shoe aesthetically,but it worked and the og flavors weredope. I'm not sure why Nike didn't bring back all the colorways though.

Pure piff...

I caught feelings when my cousin copped a pair in '99, the OG white/blk/blue joints...

My first and only pair was the white/grey joints in '00, when FA had these on smash...
pimp.gif

Reminds me, I need to cop a pair of wht/blk retros...

I don't remember too many people having them in my area. I thought they were okay. I picked up Garnett 3s and XIVs instead for playing ball that year...

-S

This was/is a great shoe and is extremely underrated, IMO. The exclusives sold really well if memory serves me. I remember getting the XIV's that yearand when I found out about the first colorway of the IV's, I wanted those instead. Needless to say they were sold out by then. I managed to get theWhite/Gray and Black/White/Red colorway that year. When I get home, I'll post pics of the Black/Royal/White pair that I have.

I think these may be the best "performing" Penny shoe out of the whole line, IMO.

Also, I wish the Sports Culture departmant could re-do these again, because the previous retro's were sorely lacking
grin.gif

I loved every colorway when they originally released, in junior high at the time I couldnt afford them. When they were retroing them I was disappointed to seethat they didnt bring back not one original colorway...

ive been searching for some DS PHX IVs in a sz 11 for years. i missed out on a black blue DS for 150 a year ago. the OG penny IV colors are among the best ofthe pennys. to me every penny is nice.

i loved the Penny iv....But Nike did a terrible job with the retros. There should of been more black base colors, maybe a knicks colorway

Some of you mentioned the black and blue iv so i'll post the 2 that i got.... First one is blk/carolina....Second one is blk/royal blue

Back
Top Bottom