What was the reaction to the Penny IVs when they were originally released?

Originally Posted by BigTy23

I loved every colorway when they originally released, in junior high at the time I couldnt afford them. When they were retroing them I was disappointed to see that they didnt bring back not one original colorway...
Ditto on the story details with some changes I'll address in a sec.

The Royal of the retros was off compared to the hue of the OG's so as much as I liked the OG's I couldn't go with any Retro's. All the crazyretro's they made and not one Penny PHX. That would have been the one I would have got immediately, even in Retro quality.

I saved up a buncha money to get these on my own. Even still figuring I was going to still be growing and got them 1.5 sizes up on my on size. I went from themall shoe store to where my dad was buying new suits at like Men's Wherehouse and the old heads working there said it was a "dope shoe, howmuch?" as they checked it out in hand.
"$130"
"That seems about right."

Hah, but to them selling suits or whatever they probably were used to spending grip on gear - or just a marketing ploy to get my dad to spend more on histailored stuff getting fitted.

Beat em to death in both a city youth league BBall team then later just on the way to the local courts, sliding down hills until the air bubbles popped and hadrocks rolling around in them. Checked them out in the box at my pop's house a lil while back and they were shredded through the toe of the sole on oneside.

Remember the cool grey in Eastbay, staying in the catalogues years aftr release and not getting them even on sale. Regrets.

Oh yeah and they were still as hard as all h-ell to get your foot in, but great lock down - even if mine were way too big.

I remember them having a mixed reaction in my area. I do remember Footaction having their own exclusive colorways, and I remember the black/blue colorway beingreleased twice. I will say that I think they killed this shoe with the number of colorways released. I has to be the longest running penny with colorwaysreleasing from Fall of 1998 to Fall of 2000. By the time they stopped releasing colorways of these, Penny had moved on to the Flight Determination....thechoice shoe of his then teammate Jason Kidd.

Those released in the fall of '98. To me there wasn't much hype around them maybe they came out on the downfall of Penny Hardaway's career. But theFootaction colorways were hot though(especially the black/blue and the phoenix suns colors)

they were
pimp.gif

They came out in the fall of '98, and the NBA was in a lockout, so a lot of people didn't have the benefit of seeing them on Penny's feet at first.

Originally Posted by KingJay718

They came out in the fall of '98, and the NBA was in a lockout, so a lot of people didn't have the benefit of seeing them on Penny's feet at first.
penny was still the man during the lock out....problem was when he got injured again in the suns it was almost a done deal.....but let's justsay imma believer that playing alongside maubury killed him stat wise....

Originally Posted by homeboy d

I never hooped in them but I think they are easily the worst in the Penny lineup
probably lookwise...but as far as hoopwise they are considered one of the best.

Back
Top Bottom