What was your starting salary after college?

- 26, Graduated this last July
- Registered Nurse in So Cal
-66k Base salary (Assuming no OT, Double time) OT is 1.5x salary/hr double is 2x salary/hr. OT awarded when we go over 40 hrs/ week. Double awarded when we go over 12h/day.

For people considering internships, I think it's safe to say in almost any field, internship/externship is a good idea. Apply/look for jobs sooner rather than later, It's a cold world out there.

This. Jobs (especially the good ones) are extremely hard to come by for newly grads. Internships are a good way to give yourself some credibility before some manager decides to pay you 30-70k a year. Most won't take a chance on you unless you've shown some prior competency or sacrifice to land the job you're looking for

BA in Econ

Took about 2 months after graduating to land at a temp agency for 14/hr. Sucked because I was making 17/hr at an internship my junior year... Doing much better now

You don't believe there successful people on this forum? Sneaker heads only? :lol:
:lol: nah man but 50-70k from BS degrees straight from college......nah. I'm in school for Registered Nursing and I just can't see how someone with a non-paying degree w/ no experience will start off making the same or more than what I will.

But like many have said money isn't everything.

Because of the raises I have received over the last 7 years and my strict adherence to living beneath my means, I now have reduced my week to 4 days and still pull in 101k per year.

Work-life balance is key to life.

Last edited:
I'm graduating from high school and seeking to be an investment banking analyst, what're your tips. What classes should I take?
If you attend a non-target school, I would try to take as many finance or business related courses as possible (accounting, finance, etc.) before junior year. Although I was a finance major, my school didn't allow for you to take finance courses and higher level accounting classes until junior year so I had to make up for it by teaching myself a lot of the coursework through books and interview practice guides (Vault Guide, WSO website, Macabacus, Investment Banking 101 book). 

If you attend a target school (Ivy league, Georgetown, UVA, NYU, etc.), there's typically OCR for all students, irrespective of if you're a business major or not, so if you have solid extracurricular activities, good internship experience and strong grades, there's a good chance you will be selected for an interview. In those cases, you should still be prepared for technical / finance questions. 

Didn't get my first "salaried" job till a year and a half after college, but I get paid 45K + OT, comes out to 47-48K a year.

My degree is in Business Mangement..so I guess I'm about average...maybe? I dunno :lol:

Internships in college is so crucial. I wish they stressed this more in high school.

That being said, I start med school in August, so I won't be getting a salary for awhile. Maybe anti-salary (debt) :lol: .

As for side hustles, I have some side businesses. Currently looking into investing in an avocado farm with some friends :pimp:

Internships in college is so crucial. I wish they stressed this more in high school.

That being said, I start med school in August, so I won't be getting a salary for awhile. Maybe anti-salary (debt) :lol: .

As for side hustles, I have some side businesses. Currently looking into investing in an avocado farm with some friends :pimp:

just curious, where is the farm and could you go into a little more detail if possible? thanks

@ArturZeee @monstar @RUNYC I'm attending a non target school, I am hoping to attend a target school for grad school because from what I've read: analysts receive more money and favor when they have their MBA. I will look into the books all of you suggested and carefully choose my classes in order to fulfill this goal.

@ArturZeee @monstar @RUNYC I'm attending a non target school, I am hoping to attend a target school for grad school because from what I've read: analysts receive more money and favor when they have their MBA. I will look into the books all of you suggested and carefully choose my classes in order to fulfill this goal.
The undergrad school you attend is not a barrier you just have to hustle that much harder. Getting an internship is key. If you don't mind me asking where are u planning to attend?

Not all investment banks are on wall street also. So you may not go to one of the well knowns but getting your foot in the door is key. I have friends at BMo in Chicago whom have got great experience as well as at a few other boutique firms.

It's all about having a plan and executing bro. You can do it

Last edited:
BS in Civil, 44k working in govt barely doing anything

getting my MS in Geotechinal Engineering, starting salary is 65k

NY/NJ for reference

What year was this?
nerd.gif
2012 when i got my BS and started working

This. Wish college and high school stressed this. Internship during college, graduate then boom first legit offer from that internship.

The undergrad school you attend is not a barrier you just have to hustle that much harder. Getting an internship is key. If you don't mind me asking where are u planning to attend?

Not all investment banks are on wall street also. So you may not go to one of the well knowns but getting your foot in the door is key. I have friends at BMo in Chicago whom have got great experience as well as at a few other boutique firms.

It's all about having a plan and executing bro. You can do it
I agree 100%, I didn't go to a target school (albeit, after I graduated there is now some OCR for IB) and took advantage of every opportunity I had to be noticed for interviews. Once you get a "brand name" on your resume, most recruiters will see that as a stamp of approval and not focus as much on what school you go to. There are also a number of other ways to "break-in" from non-target backgrounds; I'm not sure of your ethnicity, but a lot of banks have diversity office visits to meet candidates and as someone mentioned on a previous page, Sponsors for Educational Opportunity (SEO) is a diversity internship program which offers Wall Street front-office internship opportunities to minorities. 

After my first year as an Analyst, I helped with the diversity office visit for my firm and it was a great feeder program for the SA program; my group had two SA's who did the program and both got offers. 

Regarding post-MBA Associates, I would actually disagree that they are more "in favor". Analyst programs are typically structured as 2-year programs with a 1 year "promotion" to a third year Analyst, where by the end of those 2-3 years, most have left for PE / HF / VC, start-ups, corporate or go back to school. Since most decide to leave after 2-3 years, very few decide to stay on to be directly promoted as Associates ("A to A" promotion). Most banks would prefer for Analysts to stay on to be promoted; less need for on campus MBA recruiting, already "vetted" by the firm, have the skill set to do well after being an Analyst for 2-3 years, and already have a good rapport with their group.

Although you would be paid more as an Associate than Analyst; there are a number of benefits of starting off as an Analyst, if you can, (i) the Associate position is seen as "career track" whereby it's much more difficult to leave for PE/HF, etc. (ii) if after 2-3 years of being an Analyst you want to stay on, most firms would prefer to promote you than have you leave, (iii) you forgo the tremendous amount of B-School debt and (iv) you build a much more robust set of technical skills as an analyst, there were some post-MBA Associates who couldn't build a three statement model 
tired.gif

Lastly, I was grabbing drinks yesterday with a friend who is an Associate at a large BB (A to A promote), and he mentioned to me that they were trying out a new structure of hiring a class of "junior analysts" which would be paid less, likely come from non-target backgrounds and only have a one year contract. There are a number of reasons why I'm against the general idea, but this seems like an opportunity for non-target students to break-in and work hard to ultimately be asked to stay on for more than a year.  

Last edited:
Is an Economics degree not marketable? I see people in here with that degree not even touching 40K which is surprising.

At my school even the lower-level Econ classes are all quantitative and more technical, rather than the conceptual stuff you see at some schools. :lol:

Last edited:
So the average nter makes 40-60 k a year.

Thats like 3.5 k per month on average.

I should move to the States.

Have a math degree (4 years at university) and doing a post grad in maritime / shipping.

Any job openings I should know...?

:rolleyes :tongue:

Last edited:
So the average nter makes 40-60 k a year.

Thats like 3.5 k per month on average.

I should move to the States.

Have a math degree (4 years at university) and doing a post grad in maritime / shipping.

Any job openings I should know...?

:rolleyes :tongue:

Do your research, that should be good money if you really plan on doing it.

Didn't get my first "salaried" job till a year and a half after college, but I get paid 45K + OT, comes out to 47-48K a year.

My degree is in Business Mangement..so I guess I'm about average...maybe? I dunno :lol:

Mine is too. What type of company do you work for if you don't mind me asking?

Back
Top Bottom