What was your starting salary after college?

B.S. in physical education teaching, graduated in June 2011. Started out subbing at $155/day, now making a little over $51K, plus $42/hr overtime.

33k with a degree in international business. **** depresses me when i think about it. About to hit 6 months with my company and hopefully I'll get a small bump. Currently doing estimating for a big construction company.

If I get an offer after the upcoming summer I'll probably be somewhere around 100-120k. Investment banking analyst in NYC...so 100-120k probably won't be as baller as it sounds.

What's your résumé look like? If you don't mind of course (College, GPA, experience in the investments industry, etc.)

I have to imagine its pretty impressive if you're anticipating an analyst offer out of undergrad.

13/hr as a temp for about a year, then hired at 40k.

After seeing some of the salaries in here... I lost :frown:

But in general, how often should you get a raise? Each year? They didn't even give anybody cost of living adjustment :smh:

I work in financial services BTW.

I'm losing. Graduated with a BA in Communications in Dec 12. I'm making 14.42 as a Customer Support Analyst for A Fortune 500 company

I'm losing. Graduated with a BA in Communications in Dec 12. I'm making 14.42 as a Customer Support Analyst for A Fortune 500 company

me too my friend, except im at a grocery store. making $16.50 an hr. Just got done working 10 days straight...:x :smh: oh and i graduated in may 2011

feeeel you, graduated 2 years ago, and im working at the bank as a personal banker making 35k, didnt even need a degree forthis

i never went to college... i wish i did, just to go through the college life... hell i dropped out of high school

What's your résumé look like? If you don't mind of course (College, GPA, experience in the investments industry, etc.)

I have to imagine its pretty impressive if you're anticipating an analyst offer out of undergrad.

I'm at a public university non-target with a 4.0 GPA and experience working in wealth management and bank treasury focused in fixed income securities.

I'm anticipating the analyst offer due to the nature of summer analyst process; the vast majority of bulge bracket firms (Goldman Sachs, Credit Suisse, Bank of America, etc.) hire nearly 99% of their analysts from their summer analyst class or poach them from a competing bank's summer analyst class. Essentially, once you're a summer analyst, it's your job to lose. Therefore, barring I make any serious errors on the job, I'm expecting a full time offer by the end of the summer.

Last edited:
I'm at a public university non-target with a 4.0 GPA and experience working in wealth management and bank treasury focused in fixed income securities.

I'm anticipating the analyst offer due to the nature of summer analyst process; the vast majority of bulge bracket firms (Goldman Sachs, Credit Suisse, Bank of America, etc.) hire nearly 99% of their analysts from their summer analyst class or poach them from a competing bank's summer analyst class. Essentially, once you're a summer analyst, it's your job to lose. Therefore, barring I make any serious errors on the job, I'm expecting a full time offer by the end of the summer.
Nice. Best of luck man. 

Do summer analyst usually get any actual deal experience? How'd you get the summer analyst position did you just apply or did you have a foot in the door through a connection you'd made at one of your past jobs or internships?

I made $17/hr. graduating from college with a degree in Civil Engineering. God, that was rough.

And I had to negotiate like a mug just to get that. They tried to start me at $15 smh.

Last edited:

how did you apply? I hear its about 40% recommendations ...

I'm trying to make the move into wealth management, PE or hedge funds... and I hear ib is a good launch pad....

Currently rocking a 4.0 in grad school (Ms fin) at a non target publicly university ...

From how I see it, most people that have like business degrees will get about at least 50k. I have a degree in Graphic Design but did nothing with it. My degree did get me other jobs though that just required you to have a degree. Started doing insurance and had a BS salary at 33k when everyone else made 50k. Got a new job though and am getting about 60k though.

B.S. in physical education teaching, graduated in June 2011. Started out subbing at $155/day, now making a little over $51K, plus $42/hr overtime.

did your school require you to take and pass the praxxis 1 and 2 ??

From how I see it, most people that have like business degrees will get about at least 50k. I have a degree in Graphic Design but did nothing with it. My degree did get me other jobs though that just required you to have a degree. Started doing insurance and had a BS salary at 33k when everyone else made 50k. Got a new job though and am getting about 60k though.
you should have got in with an advertising agency. I am actually interviewing with an agency out your way and hoping it goes smoothly so I can make the move cross country..

you should have got in with an advertising agency. I am actually interviewing with an agency out your way and hoping it goes smoothly so I can make the move cross country..

My whole approach to design was my fault. To this day, I sitll don't have a portfolio website for myself. Pretty much can't apply for anything if you don't have proof you can do it. Just sort of gave up on it but don't feel bad at all. Just wished I drew and painted more like I did back in college.

Nice. Best of luck man. 

Do summer analyst usually get any actual deal experience? How'd you get the summer analyst position did you just apply or did you have a foot in the door through a connection you'd made at one of your past jobs or internships?

I'm guessing it varies from group to group but deals are an extremely long process, making it unlikely that an SA will see one from start to finish. SAs still get a large amount of relevant experience during the summer though, even without working an entire deal. I'll answer the second part below since it ties in with Ricky's question.

how did you apply? I hear its about 40% recommendations ...

I'm trying to make the move into wealth management, PE or hedge funds... and I hear ib is a good launch pad....

Currently rocking a 4.0 in grad school (Ms fin) at a non target publicly university ...

Unless you break in like me, I would say the process is much more than 40% dependent upon connections if you're at a campus without OCR. From what I've come to understand about the BB IB interview process, the only way to get an interview with most through the online app is to have a more senior person at the bank push your resume on to HR. If you're looking to break into IB, I'd suggest reaching out to alumni from your program that are currently on the street.

To go into detail about my process: I acquired my internship through the SEO (Sponsors For Educational Opportunity) Career Program. The SEO Career Program's goal is to place bright students of color in firms looking to racially diversify--particularly Wall Street firms. They have programs for Invesment Banking, Sales & Trading, Equity Research, etc. It was similar to the typical IB process in that I had two interviews that consisted of fit questions and technical questions of varying difficulty (e.g. what metrics would you use to analyze a small business's financial statements; how many cups of coffee does your local Starbucks sell in one week; etc.). After I received an offer to join the program I was assigned ~120 hours of online training to finish before April (still have to complete a good chunk of that), and I will have to be in NYC nearly two weeks before my internship begins for more in-person training with SEO. If you fit the description of an ideal SEO intern then I highly recommend you learn more about the program.

degree : liberal arts.job after college : production manager ...wage $22.00 an hour. (my degree had nothing to do with what i was doing)

Back
Top Bottom