What was your starting salary after college?

But without that degree it severely reduces your chances. If you do college correctly you will come out with a specialized skillset. Therefore you see higher wages quicker than someone who hasn't gone to college.
But you are correct for some IT fields such as programming etc. Where you can learn these skills by locking yourself in your room with no social life. A friend of mine from college started at 90k that way and they gave him a signing bonus to drop out of school a quarter early.

But without that degree it severely reduces your chances. If you do college correctly you will come out with a specialized skillset. Therefore you see higher wages quicker than someone who hasn't gone to college.
But you are correct for some IT fields such as programming etc. Where you can learn these skills by locking yourself in your room with no social life. A friend of mine from college started at 90k that way and they gave him a signing bonus to drop out of school a quarter early.

Nice. He can always go back, so non-issue.

sounds about right. You make your most money after you leave the big 4, unless you wanna stay till partner. That experience is coveted in the accounting field.

3 years means he'll be up for manager next year, unless its PwC who require an extra year.

He does 1 busy season as manager, or leave soon after making manager, then he can leave for a controller position at another company making 6 figures.

This is assuming he's in audit. I'm unsure of the exit opportunities for the tax people.

2 years Associate, 3 years Senior Associate, then manager.

I would take that in a heart beat. Do you know which company he was hired to and the location?

Props to the dude who made 90k as a salesman.

What make were you selling?

He's not a salesman, he's the Finance Manager. He's last person you see at the dealer before you hop in your new car and drive off and he's responsible for extracting as much money from you as possible by selling you a bunch of crap you don't need (extended warranty, paint correction, etc.).

It's 100% profit for the dealer which is why they are compensated as well as they are. Naturally, those without a conscience do better in this position than those with one (same goes for a lot of sales positions).

Props to the dude who made 90k as a salesman.

What make were you selling?

He's not a salesman, he's the Finance Manager. He's last person you see at the dealer before you hop in your new car and drive off and he's responsible for extracting as much money from you as possible by selling you a bunch of crap you don't need (extended warranty, paint correction, etc.).

It's 100% profit for the dealer which is why they are compensated as well as they are. Naturally, those without a conscience do better in this position than those with one (same goes for a lot of sales positions).

I know. I'm capable of reading and comprehending.

I was commenting on the 90k he was making as a salesman.

Last edited:
I went the trade school route. As soon as i got out I was making roughly 75k a year at 19 years old. I'm 27 now. I'm making over 80k. I got no degree. Just a cert.

I was reading an article on Businessweekly talking about wielders making 80k coming out of trades schools. Since there is a high demand for them. Even tho I'm not for trade schools I feel like our generation should look into certain trades since a lot of workers are starting to step down or retire from those industries.

Graduated Dec 13 with a degree in communications minor in business. Had no prior experience or networking in college so I managed to land an unpaid internship with The Source magazine. Been there for almost 3 months and still havent had any luck finding a full time gig..This sucks
 u might my know my boy Tariq lol he interned with them earlier this year as well

Last edited:
this engineering degree better be worth the stress and the loans
mean.gif

2 more years
trust me its worth it. fresh out i got an offer that was close to 100k. i took it but ended up getting rejected cause im a felon 
frown.gif

Phd in pharmacy back in 05. Came out making 100k out the gate as a retail pharmacist.

Can some of you guys touch on how your pay has changed from year to year since graduating college? If it has at all? I'm interested in seeing a 5 year outlook. Can be all with same company or different companies.

Can some of you guys touch on how your pay has changed from year to year since graduating college? If it has at all? I'm interested in seeing a 5 year outlook. Can be all with same company or different companies.
Eh..sure. 26 y/o, graduated in 2010:
Year 1: Temp Admin Asst jobs 14/hr
Year 2: Customer Service Rep for local liquidator, 30k/yr

Later that year landed a Govt contractor job that I'm still at. Started at 38k. Got promoted after a year. Bumped to 48k. Actually got my annual increase recently. Normally 3% increase but they gave me a 5% bump. Now at 50k.

Still a long way to go but I'm able to maintain a modest lifestyle. Want to hit 100k by 30. Don't know if I'll reach it but anything is possible if you grind for it.

Last edited:
trust me its worth it. fresh out i got an offer that was close to 100k. i took it but ended up getting rejected cause im a felon :frown:
Nice thats a great offer you gotta try to get that charge taken off of your record if you can. Background checks mean alot. What state was the job offer in and what company if you dont mind?

Eh..sure. 26 y/o, graduated in 2010:
Year 1: Temp Admin Asst jobs 14/hr
Year 2: Customer Service Rep for local liquidator, 30k/yr

Later that year landed a Govt contractor job that I'm still at. Started at 38k. Got promoted after a year. Bumped to 48k. Actually got my annual increase recently. Normally 3% increase but they gave me a 5% bump. Now at 50k.

Still a long way to go but I'm able to maintain a modest lifestyle. Want to hit 100k by 30. Don't know if I'll reach it but anything is possible if you grind for it.
I'm kind of similar to you,

Started at 13/hr 

Then bumped up to 30k a year,

Just got a position for 38k.

Hopefully I can get to 48-50k in the next year.

Great thread. Full of gold, I agree and disagree with some but these perspectives are very useful. I just graduated last week, applied for position and interviewed. If all goes well position should be mine. Starting at 36.5K but I don't know if I should continue to apply and see what's out there or take this one. I'm definitely interested in this position and can see myself there, definitely leaning toward the latter.

Back
Top Bottom