What's the latest any of yall switched majors?

I'll be a junior after this semester and EE really isn't cutting it for me.
I might switch to either Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or MIS.
The first two wont really be that big of a deal since the courses are pretty much the same but with MIS I would have to start over pretty much.

So yeah what's the latest yall have switched?

The first two wont really be that big of a deal since the courses are pretty much the same but with MIS I would have to start over pretty much.

I just switched from Molecular Biology to Biochemistry my sophomore year. The classes are pretty much the same so it wasn't a problem. You have come too far to start all over again.

I just switched from Molecular Biology to Biochemistry my sophomore year. The classes are pretty much the same so it wasn't a problem. You have come too far to start all over again.

well 2 more math courses after this I'll be done with that. but other than that I haven't really done much.
only in one 200 level course for my major.

well 2 more math courses after this I'll be done with that. but other than that I haven't really done much.
only in one 200 level course for my major.

At the end of my junior semester, I switched from Pre-Med Bio to Philosophy with a minor in Bio

Bro switched from buisness to pre-med towards the end of his sophmore year. lulfail.

Bro switched from buisness to pre-med towards the end of his sophmore year. lulfail.

At the end of my junior semester, I switched from Pre-Med Bio to Philosophy with a minor in Bio

Not really the same, but I dropped my philosophy minor the same quarter that I graduated.
eyes.gif

I am in Software Systems Engineering. Its my 2nd year(3rd year overall: switched into Engineering after taking business for my first year[wanted finance]). But I am thinking about switching into computer science next semester for several reasons. One is so I can spend 4 years in school as opposed to 6.

I am in Software Systems Engineering. Its my 2nd year(3rd year overall: switched into Engineering after taking business for my first year[wanted finance]). But I am thinking about switching into computer science next semester for several reasons. One is so I can spend 4 years in school as opposed to 6.

Originally Posted by omgitswes

I didn't choose my major until the second semester of my sophmore year. So I guess you can say I went from "Undecided" to "Computer Science".

I guess the difference is that I wasn't bogged down with classes of my "major", so I was able to get most of my gen ed. classes out the way in those first 2 years and pretty much for the next 2 years it was straight CSE courses.

I could have graduated "on time" (as in, 4 years from my enrollment date), but was held back by a 1 credit ethics course that I could have taken last semester, but didn't because the department head prevented me (even though the teacher of the course approved of it). Long story. So now I'm only taking the 1 credit course (which has now become a 3 credit ethics course (
laugh.gif
what a joke)) for my final semester.

My advice to you: One of my fellow CSE majors who went on to work for JP Morgan Chase was an intern there before he got picked up. He said that a good amount of the coders there, and at another company he interned at, were EE majors for some reason. I'm not saying that the degrees are equivalent, but it is something to keep in mind if you're interested in that particular area. A lot of software companies specifically require a CSE degree, however, maybe they would be willing to give you a chance if you have a good G.P.A and minor in CSE as well as explicitly state what languages you can code in.

If you're sure that making the switch would guarentee you an extra year i'd look in to going that route rather than spending all that money.

Originally Posted by omgitswes

I didn't choose my major until the second semester of my sophmore year. So I guess you can say I went from "Undecided" to "Computer Science".

I guess the difference is that I wasn't bogged down with classes of my "major", so I was able to get most of my gen ed. classes out the way in those first 2 years and pretty much for the next 2 years it was straight CSE courses.

I could have graduated "on time" (as in, 4 years from my enrollment date), but was held back by a 1 credit ethics course that I could have taken last semester, but didn't because the department head prevented me (even though the teacher of the course approved of it). Long story. So now I'm only taking the 1 credit course (which has now become a 3 credit ethics course (
laugh.gif
what a joke)) for my final semester.

My advice to you: One of my fellow CSE majors who went on to work for JP Morgan Chase was an intern there before he got picked up. He said that a good amount of the coders there, and at another company he interned at, were EE majors for some reason. I'm not saying that the degrees are equivalent, but it is something to keep in mind if you're interested in that particular area. A lot of software companies specifically require a CSE degree, however, maybe they would be willing to give you a chance if you have a good G.P.A and minor in CSE as well as explicitly state what languages you can code in.

If you're sure that making the switch would guarentee you an extra year i'd look in to going that route rather than spending all that money.

I switched after my sophmore year so i started a new major in the beginning of my jr year. just go with whatever you are happy with , don't stress too much about finishing within the standard 4 years.

I switched after my sophmore year so i started a new major in the beginning of my jr year. just go with whatever you are happy with , don't stress too much about finishing within the standard 4 years.

2nd Semester of my Junior Year. I still graduated on time by going to 2 sessions of summer school and taking 2 semesters of 21 hours each. Still graduated with a 3.9 Cumulative GPA
pimp.gif
Changed from Psychology to Geospatial Science/GIS

Back
Top Bottom