whats your take on Obama mandating a 36MPG minimum on cars? VOL. RIP V8, corvette, camaro, chargers

It's amazing how %%* backwards a lot of you guys really think. There is technology to get way more than that without sacrificing horse power. Big Oil hasalways been in bed with the automotive industry and made sure that technology wasn't implemented to keep everyone paying at the pump. In reality we shouldbe getting 100mpg, the technology is there people.

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

It's amazing how %%* backwards a lot of you guys really think. There is technology to get way more than that without sacrificing horse power. Big Oil has always been in bed with the automotive industry and made sure that technology wasn't implemented to keep everyone paying at the pump. In reality we should be getting 100mpg, the technology is there people.
proof
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by kix4kix

I appreciate, should have been implemented years ago.

^^ Agreed, The less gas consumption we can have the better it is for all!

Originally Posted by ninjahood

It's amazing how %%* backwards a lot of you guys really think. There is technology to get way more than that without sacrificing horse power. Big Oil has always been in bed with the automotive industry and made sure that technology wasn't implemented to keep everyone paying at the pump. In reality we should be getting 100mpg, the technology is there people.
proof
nerd.gif
Fuel Injection, Hybrids with Battery And Gas Mix... First Born is completely right... and smh at the guy that said hannity was right and obama isforcing us into "less safe, less comfortable, less... blah blah cars" The companies can just create cars with higher mpg... It's not that hard,and if they want to stay in business they will have to be more fuel conscious. So no they are not going to just let it go and give up they will try and succeedor like most business fail...

Survivor of the fittest!

...fund enough R & D...and I BET automakers could make this happen WITH good horsepower.

my problem is with mandating it.

Originally Posted by desent

proof
nerd.gif
Fuel Injection, Hybrids with Battery And Gas Mix... First Born is completely right... and smh at the guy that said hannity was right and obama is forcing us into "less safe, less comfortable, less... blah blah cars" The companies can just create cars with higher mpg... It's not that hard, and if they want to stay in business they will have to be more fuel conscious. So no they are not going to just let it go and give up they will try and succeed or like most business fail...

Survivor of the fittest!

I done know what insider info you got but 100mpg is a stretch w/o assistance on a gas motor in a car thathas all the requirements that a car sold today hasto...just the nature of the combustion engine...the downfall but also the upside because they make such great power and noise... what should be done is haveaverage mpg by make...by model is too restrictive and destroys a lot of cars makers can and do sell especially in this market with Detroit in the condition itis...I think Detroit needs the v8 to come back hopefully for their sake they find a way to take the prius drivetrain and make it fun...if not I'll bebuying used from 2011 on

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

...fund enough R & D...and I BET automakers could make this happen WITH good horsepower.

my problem is with mandating it.
thats where i stand, i have no problem with fuel efficient vehicles, but if i have every right to drive my 8mpg hummer H2 as i see fit dagovernment shouldn't be allowed to choose what kind of car i want to drive.....and in other news....

[h1]GM Kills High Performance Vehicle Operations[/h1]
caddy%20sideways%20555.jpg

The next shoe has dropped at General Motors and it has landed squarely on performance-car enthusiasts. Just when things were getting really tasty, GM hasdisbanded the High Performance Vehicle Operations unit of the company's Performance Division.

That's the group, headed by the recently retired John Heinricy, responsible for making low-volume, high-performance versions of GM cars. The group'srecent hits include the surprisingly good Cobalt SS and HHR SS and some true +##-kickers such as the CTS-V. According to a report in the trade journalAutomotive News, the group was quashed because of some sort of financial issues that General Motors has apparently been dealing with recently.Don't know if you've heard anything about that.

AN quotes PR man Vince Muniga saying, "All high-performance projects are on indefinite hold." Muniga says the High Performance engineershave been moved on to other core product teams.

performance%20555.jpg

"You can't make people lose weight by mandating clothing size."

Originally Posted by krazy88s

Originally Posted by miamin2

I know he's doing it with good intentions and all, but I don't agree with him mandating it. Instead he should just give companies that do it a tax break or a subsidy or something; just some motivation to make their cars at that level. I'd hate to buy a car and have it feel like it runs like a RC car.

Does this apply to imported cars too?

I agree. And I think it's for all cars sold in America. Imported or domestic.

I agree that this should be achieved through tax breaks rather than a mandate. However, many people are missing the fact that this is an average across thefleet. Chevrolet sells many more of its most fuel efficient cars than Corvettes, just as other volume-centered marques do. Now, I think we may get intotrouble with performance- and luxury-oriented brands. Cadillac, Lincoln, Mercedes, BMW, Lambo, etc. may face a battle.

Is this for each marque or manufacturer? If it is the latter, we may see Daimler push the Smart and its investment in Tesla, as well as more conglomerates andpartnerships.

Originally Posted by desent

proof
nerd.gif
Fuel Injection, Hybrids with Battery And Gas Mix... First Born is completely right... and smh at the guy that said hannity was right and obama is forcing us into "less safe, less comfortable, less... blah blah cars" The companies can just create cars with higher mpg... It's not that hard, and if they want to stay in business they will have to be more fuel conscious. So no they are not going to just let it go and give up they will try and succeed or like most business fail...

Survivor of the fittest!

Exactly, it's not that companies aren't capable, they're just looking at the bottom line and they could care less about more efficient vehicles ifpeople are still buying SUVs and sub-20MPG sportscars. And you don't even need hydrogen or hydrids to do it, the VW Polo is getting 60-70 MPG on cleandiesel in europe RIGHT NOW. And it's not about forcing the country to drive economy cars (which is some the dumbest #$%* I've heard in a while), aslong as there's a market fast cars will never die out. I love sports cars too, and I think it's great news, because now we might all get to see theday when you can drive fast car and not have to fill it up every other block.

thats where i stand, i have no problem with fuel efficient vehicles, but if i have every right to drive my 8mpg hummer H2 as i see fit da government shouldn't be allowed to choose what kind of car i want to drive.....and in other news....

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

No, you don't. That's like saying you have every right to dump oil in the !$*%@$% ocean. Emissions and pollution as whole are a problem foreveryone, if everyone had this kinda attitude we'd all be $%+*$! 10 years from now.

Not the average person is going to buy any of the listed tho. Not everybody has money and not everybody wants to have one. If the rich folks want one, wellgodamn they WILL find one.

i mean guys....if you haven't caught on yet, where da hell are you gonna be able to buy a lambo, v12 benzes and bimmers, and all da muscle cars at? obama is effectively KILLING em..

for some reason loosening the grip of the oil monopolies and polluting less seems more important than a V8 engine...but thats just my opinion.

So all the foreign cars will spike in sales the first few years until american made car companys can figure out how to make ******ed looking cars? This suckscant they just leave sports cars out of this??

Why the hell can't they come up with big block engines that have all the HP in the world and be more efficient? Why is that hard to do? I'm sure theycan do that.

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

While we're on topic, what do you guys think about Turbo Diesel engines?

VW uses these correct?

i see A LOT of those new jettas in my area i mean A LOT.

those new Jetta TDI get like 41mpg, i cant front id drive one
laugh.gif

looks way better than a prius or civic hybrid, sentra, smart car etc.

also Obama buggin................well VW/AUDI

40mpg audi A4?
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by BlackCease

thats where i stand, i have no problem with fuel efficient vehicles, but if i have every right to drive my 8mpg hummer H2 as i see fit da government shouldn't be allowed to choose what kind of car i want to drive.....and in other news....

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

No, you don't. That's like saying you have every right to dump oil in the !$*%@$% ocean.

if i want to drive a hummer and i got the money to, i should have every right to do so, the government shouldn't have a hand into what kindacars i should be driving.

last time i checked, we're in the US....which is a captial run society, i'm a proponent of letting the consumer demand dictate the products being soldon the road.

so what is the point of doing this? people know about the gas mileage when they buy the car and it doesn't stop them from getting a F-350 Super Duty.
most people who get trucks could give a #### less about gas mileage. I know i don't care

I agree with Ninjahood, I think the way he explained it makes some people a little upset. But on the other hand I also agree that we do need more fuelefficient cars, I wonder if increased tax breaks for new purchasers of cars with 36+ cars would be a better route.

Back
Top Bottom