What's your take on this

I was applying at costco and came upon the question. I thought it was weird how the races were listed lol. If you select black or white isnt that saying enoughwhy the need for the "(Not Hispanic or Latino)". Maybe its like that for a reason.

What is your Race/Ethnic Background?[table][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td] Hispanic or Latino[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td] White (Not Hispanic or Latino)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td] Black or African American (Not Hispanic or Latino)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td] Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander (Not Hispanic or Latino)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td] Asian (Not Hispanic or Latino)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td] American Indian or Alaska Native (Not Hispanic or Latino)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td] Two or More Races (Not Hispanic or Latino)[/td] [/tr][/table]

i hate all race questions on applications cause you never fit into an exact category

url

Originally Posted by lovemysole

It's funnier to me when they have:

-Asian
-Pacific Islander
-Filipino
smh.gif

Yes I'm Filipino.
what do you guys considerin yourselfs? one of my dudes say asain, one says islander..... ?

Originally Posted by air max 87

-Asian
-Pacific Islander
-Filipino
smh.gif

Yes I'm Filipino.
what do you guys considerin yourselfs? one of my dudes say asain, one says islander..... ?
Philipinos are not asian, they're considered AzN

"If you select black or white isn't that saying enough why the need for the "(Not Hispanic or Latino)". Maybe its like that for areason."

The reason is that Latino isn't a race. You can be White and be Latino, you can be Black and be Latino also.
If you go to Panama or Belize there are many Black people due to slavery. Some are fully Black and not mixed with anything else at all and they are Latinos.You can go to Argentina and Chile and find Latino's that are completely White, not mixed at all.

But the average Latino that you think of when you hear the word is mixed with White/Black/Native American. Latino is described as an ethnicity.

Where I am located right now I live in a Latin African country. The only Spanish speaking country in Africa. Everyone here is Black but they are Latinos. Ifthey so choose they could put Latino on an American job application.

Originally Posted by enlightenedespot

"If you select black or white isn't that saying enough why the need for the "(Not Hispanic or Latino)". Maybe its like that for a reason."

The reason is that Latino isn't a race. You can be White and be Latino, you can be Black and be Latino also.
If you go to Panama or Belize there are many Black people due to slavery. Some are fully Black and not mixed with anything else at all and they are Latinos. You can go to Argentina and Chile and find Latino's that are completely White, not mixed at all.

But the average Latino that you think of when you hear the word is mixed with White/Black/Native American. Latino is described as an ethnicity.

Where I am located right now I live in a Latin African country. The only Spanish speaking country in Africa. Everyone here is Black but they are Latinos. If they so choose they could put Latino on an American job application.

Right. And it's this common misconception(with a few more details) that has peoples brains and concepts all messed up when it comes to viewing otherpeople. There's one race of people. Human race.

Originally Posted by Forgot About Jae

-Asian
-Pacific Islander
-Filipino
smh.gif

Yes I'm Filipino.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

-Asian
-Pacific Islander
-Filipino
smh.gif

Yes I'm Filipino.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

-Asian
-Pacific Islander
-Filipino
smh.gif

Yes I'm Filipino.

I used to say Asian untill all the damn maps started cutting the Phillipines out of the SE Asian Maps
indifferent.gif
so I said eff it! We're Pacific Islander so I'm sticking to that.

-Asian
-Pacific Islander
-Filipino
smh.gif

Yes I'm Filipino.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by ATLien Seeko

"If you select black or white isn't that saying enough why the need for the "(Not Hispanic or Latino)". Maybe its like that for a reason."

If you go to Panama or Belize there are many Black people due to slavery. Some are fully Black and not mixed with anything else at all and they are Latinos. You can go to Argentina and Chile and find Latino's that are completely White, not mixed at all.

Where I am located right now I live in a Latin African country. The only Spanish speaking country in Africa. Everyone here is Black but they are Latinos. If they so choose they could put Latino on an American job application.

Right. And it's this common misconception(with a few more details) that has peoples brains and concepts all messed up when it comes to viewing other people. There's one race of people. Human race.
Go hug a tree with that Sesame Street %%+%.
roll.gif

When you oversimplify races you disregards their differences in culture. That makes you a racist doggie.
wink.gif

Also,its the government that requires employers to do due diligence on employment applications.This is done to ensure that they conform with laws regardingminority hiring.
roll.gif

exactly what my friend told me a couple days ago.

-Asian
-Pacific Islander
-Filipino
smh.gif

Yes I'm Filipino.

I used to say Asian untill all the damn maps started cutting the Phillipines out of the SE Asian Maps
indifferent.gif
so I said eff it! We're Pacific Islander so I'm sticking to that.
I'll start saying I'm a Pacific Islander, when people in the Philippines stop considering themselves as Asians.

Back
Top Bottom