What's your take on this

Originally Posted by makaveli55

I was applying at costco and came upon the question. I thought it was weird how the races were listed lol. If you select black or white isnt that saying enough why the need for the "(Not Hispanic or Latino)". Maybe its like that for a reason.

What is your Race/Ethnic Background? [table][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]Hispanic or Latino[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]White (Not Hispanic or Latino)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]Black or African American (Not Hispanic or Latino)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander (Not Hispanic or Latino)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]Asian (Not Hispanic or Latino)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]American Indian or Alaska Native (Not Hispanic or Latino)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]Two or More Races (Not Hispanic or Latino)[/td] [/tr][/table]
what i dont get is why are they putting White at the top of the list? it doesnt make sense alphabetically, or in any case for that matter.

Originally Posted by a55a5in11

Originally Posted by enlightenedespot

"If you select black or white isn't that saying enough why the need for the "(Not Hispanic or Latino)". Maybe its like that for a reason."

The reason is that Latino isn't a race. You can be White and be Latino, you can be Black and be Latino also.
If you go to Panama or Belize there are many Black people due to slavery. Some are fully Black and not mixed with anything else at all and they are Latinos. You can go to Argentina and Chile and find Latino's that are completely White, not mixed at all.

But the average Latino that you think of when you hear the word is mixed with White/Black/Native American. Latino is described as an ethnicity.

Where I am located right now I live in a Latin African country. The only Spanish speaking country in Africa. Everyone here is Black but they are Latinos. If they so choose they could put Latino on an American job application.
exactly what my friend told me a couple days ago.
why are white and black considered races? do you mean European American? African American?

Originally Posted by duerr

Originally Posted by ATLien Seeko

There's one race of people. Human race.
Go hug a tree with that Sesame Street %%+%.
roll.gif

When you oversimplify races you disregards their differences in culture. That makes you a racist doggie.
wink.gif

Also,its the government that requires employers to do due diligence on employment applications.This is done to ensure that they conform with laws regarding minority hiring.
roll.gif
Sorry guy I am going to have to agree with Seeko on this one. Race is a completely made up and inefficient way of grouping people. We all know whyrace was invented. The same argument that is going on with the Filipinos is going on in many other parts of the world. Ethiopians aren't Black but theyaren't Arab either. So what race are they? The indigenous people of Madagascar are Austrolonesian, Capoid and Black.What race are they? Races over lap soomuch in certain regions where two large races converge. Honestly we cannot continue creating races. Anyway the differences between races is soo small that allthis shouldn't really matter. I understand the due diligence of the Latino arguement in America but what about Asians? How can Indians, Persians and fareast Asians all be of the same race? Impossible.
Anthropologists are working on changing this. What they have in mind I can only wonder.

Anyway humans will always find a way to discriminate so our efforts will continue to be futile.

Originally Posted by moe200069

I was applying at costco and came upon the question. I thought it was weird how the races were listed lol. If you select black or white isnt that saying enough why the need for the "(Not Hispanic or Latino)". Maybe its like that for a reason.

[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander (Not Hispanic or Latino)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]American Indian or Alaska Native (Not Hispanic or Latino)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
what i dont get is why are they putting White at the top of the list? it doesnt make sense alphabetically, or in any case for that matter.

"If you select black or white isn't that saying enough why the need for the "(Not Hispanic or Latino)". Maybe its like that for a reason."

The reason is that Latino isn't a race. You can be White and be Latino, you can be Black and be Latino also.
If you go to Panama or Belize there are many Black people due to slavery. Some are fully Black and not mixed with anything else at all and they are Latinos. You can go to Argentina and Chile and find Latino's that are completely White, not mixed at all.

But the average Latino that you think of when you hear the word is mixed with White/Black/Native American. Latino is described as an ethnicity.

Where I am located right now I live in a Latin African country. The only Spanish speaking country in Africa. Everyone here is Black but they are Latinos. If they so choose they could put Latino on an American job application.
why are white and black considered races? do you mean European American? African American?

For the first question I am going to guess that they are going by the largest population of each race. White, then Black etc. But I am most likely wrong.

For the second, not everyone applying for those jobs are Americans and a Black person born and raised in China is still Black by race and Chinese byNationality. White and Black is how Europeans described themselves and their sub-saharan counterparts.

As you can see there is a lot of problems with this way of categorizing people, which is why I don't like to think about it too much. Too many faults. Andits always changing. What we say today will be considered racist tomorrow.

Originally Posted by moe200069

[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]

For the first question I am going to guess that they are going by the largest population of each race. White, then Black etc. But I am most likely wrong.

For the second, not everyone applying for those jobs are Americans and a Black person born and raised in China is still Black by race and Chinese by Nationality. White and Black is how Europeans described themselves and their sub-saharan counterparts.

As you can see there is a lot of problems with this way of categorizing people, which is why I don't like to think about it too much. Too many faults. And its always changing. What we say today will be considered racist tomorrow.

my man, you are definitely an enlightened individual and your thoughts are appreciated. let me make a point of clarification: in my earlier post, when i said"european american" and "african american," i should have put european/european american and african/african american. i find the idea ofwhite and black as races an interesting concept, as other races such as asian and/or chicano are not assigned "colors." moreover, if an africanperson is born in china, would he/she be called "Black" in that country or African-Chinese? does the idea of "black" and "white"races exist outside of countries that are not heavily populated by europeans?

Back
Top Bottom