When did Domestic cars(GM, Ford, Stalantis) start to make poorly made cars and have a reputation of “unreliable” cars?

I was just at the dealer getting my car serviced and it dawned on me and made me wonder, when did the quality of Domestic cars really started to decline and have the reputation that it for the most part still to this day? I’m not saying all domestics are bad, but since I was a kid, I’ve always heard “American made cars” weren’t reliable and tend to break down around 100k miles. Once again, I’m not saying they are all crap, but I’m curious on the time frame when it became apparent.

When they realized they theoretically couldn’t make money if cars lasted 15+ years. Same time when the appliance manufacturers found the same with washers, etc. Obviously we know the theory not to be true, and can conclude execs, and politicians that allowed such greed to exist, should burn at the the stake.

80’s/early 90s.

Didn’t help that until maybe 10 years ago most rentals were base model domestics too, that were low quality and drove like crap.

Personally I’ve owned 3 domestic cars, all used, never had any major problems.

When they realized they theoretically couldn’t make money if cars lasted 15+ years. Same time when the appliance manufacturers found the same with washers, etc. Obviously we know the theory not to be true, and can conclude execs, and politicians that allowed such greed to exist, should burn at the the stake.

Basically. Same with the healthcare industry. A sickly population = $$$$

Yeah, greed is a MF

Great movie, true story. Guy who made the Tucker car that still use parts(accessory?) he invented in modern day cars like cross body seatbelts.

Essentially predicted big business (he got sued by them) will crush dreams in order to maximise profits.

The insane part is some people will buy bad quality import cars made in the USA instead.

Nah it really hit the fan in the 70s when you’d literally buy a car drive it off the lot and it’d die and the buyer had no recourse. The Japanese came and between the fuel efficiency and reliability they killed the American car as it stood then.

I think American cars are fine nowadays. I don’t know anyone who bought a lemon. And things that have broken down is because of poor maintenance or driving like an idiot.

speaking of appliance, my parents old microwave they had in the 80s finally went out recently. that thing lasted almost 40 years :lol:
it was super heavy when i was disposing it. probably weighed 50+ pounds if i had to guess. definitely built to last back then

I think American cars are fine nowadays. I don’t know anyone who bought a lemon. And things that have broken down is because of poor maintenance or driving like an idiot.
80’s/early 90s.

Didn’t help that until maybe 10 years ago most rentals were base model domestics too, that were low quality and drove like crap.

Personally I’ve owned 3 domestic cars, all used, never had any major problems.
Have y'all actually kept a car longer than 6 years?

Around 100k miles, something fails
-Water Pump
-Fuel Pump
-A/C compressor
-Timing Belts
-Battery
-Spark Plugs

Around 150k miles it's the
-Starter
-Alternator
-Radiator/Heatercore
-Ball Joints/Tie Rods
-Wheel Bearings/Lug Nuts
-Oil Pan

Around 200k it's the
-Entire Electrical system going haywire - Window Regulators, Lock Actuators, Instrument Panel/Gauges
-valve Covers, gaskets and seals -most cars are either leaking oil or coolant at this point
-Whole Suspension, shocks and struts, differential, control arms. And keep in mind only ASE certified dudes can fix these things.

And finally around 250k the entire engine or transmission bites the dust. So by the end of all this, you ended up spending double the cars value. Hell, these mechanics are so busy, they might have your car for 3-4 days at a time waiting for parts to come in. Having to use rentals/Uber during the downtime is another thing that slowly drains your wallet.

Last edited:

-Water Pump
-Fuel Pump
-A/C compressor
-Timing Belts
-Battery
-Spark Plugs

-Starter
-Alternator
-Radiator/Heatercore
-Ball Joints/Tie Rods
-Wheel Bearings/Lug Nuts
-Oil Pan

Around 200k it's the
-Entire Electrical system going haywire - Window Regulators, Lock Actuators, Instrument Panel/Gauges
-valve Covers, gaskets and seals -most cars are either leaking oil or coolant at this point
-Whole Suspension, shocks and struts, differential, control arms. And keep in mind only ASE certified dudes can fix these things.

And finally around 250k the entire engine or transmission bites the dust. So by the end of all this, you ended up spending double, if not triple what you paid for the car.

My family growing had yes. I personally lease so no. But the 94 Chevy Corsica we had for 9 years nothing ever broke. The 2003 Chevy impala that was bought new never had anything to bad for the 16 years my mom had it besides normal stuff. My mom has a Kia sorento that’s now 12 years and nothing ever bad occurred either.

Chevy Corsica had around 90k miles. Impala about 130k and the sorento now has like 85k I think last I was told.

American Car manufacturers / dealerships rather be in business of mechanical services, than selling you a whole car with minimal issues.

It actually gets worse, imagine seeing this and you gotta be at work.
6E0BBBC6-EDA8-4D88-9B1D-F649B9BA9AF9.jpeg

-Water Pump
-Fuel Pump
-A/C compressor
-Timing Belts
-Battery
-Spark Plugs

-Starter
-Alternator
-Radiator/Heatercore
-Ball Joints/Tie Rods
-Wheel Bearings/Lug Nuts
-Oil Pan

Around 200k it's the

And finally around 250k the entire engine or transmission bites the dust. So by the end of all this, you ended up spending double the cars value. Hell, these mechanics are so busy, they might have your car for 3-4 days at a time waiting for parts to come in. Having to use rentals/Uber during the downtime is another thing that slowly drains your wallet.
I’m not sure of your point. Any car is gonna cost a fortune to maintain with 150K+ miles. My Mom’s Accord kicked the bucket at just under 150K and she was meticulous with maintenance. My Dad sold his Acura at 120K because it was starting to cost a fortune.

I personally don’t have to drive that much anymore, so I’m talking about my experience under 100K. Most people aren’t keeping cars to 200K miles.

Back
Top Bottom