When Will White People Stop Making Movies Like "Avatar"?

I read the whole article and having watched the movie WITH a Native American I can say that it was a little awkward. It's like "hey, this kind ofhappened before and it kind of sucks that it continues to be rehashed and relived over and over again." All these movies play into Indian stereotypes anddon't really bother trying to consider the effect it has on people's sentiments towards Natives. Even movies made by Natives themselves come off ascheeky and unconvincing, as if they're trying too hard to fit into the accepted perceptions that whites(and other races) have of NA culture. Authors do ittoo. It's a sensitive subject considering many of the reservations in America are in conditions that rival the projects in the sense that there is norunning water, poor education and hardly (if any) government support. Personally, even though I liked the movie I found it kind of
tired.gif

michelle

Originally Posted by HarlemKickDiva

Interesting you mention this because my godmother was talking about the same topic

How yea the movie makes for great entertainment but the undertones are super evident and no1 sees them

White colonialism is why this country so so eff'ed up now... but I've never heard of anyone owning up 2 it
White colonialism is why this country exists.
laugh.gif

People are such idiots.

If I was to say strawberries are related to the blood gang which is related to the devil because its red and has little seeds in them which represent the birth of hell of earth HueyP and everyone who sack rides him would be like
eek.gif

Things just can't be that simple can it?

america is a country where the majority is white with a history of colonialism and imperialism. what kind of point of view do u expect? 

Originally Posted by TeamJordan79

america is a country where the majority is white with a history of colonialism and imperialism. what kind of point of view do u expect? 

Originally Posted by DJprestige21

People are such idiots.

If I was to say strawberries are related to the blood gang which is related to the devil because its red and has little seeds in them which represent the birth of hell of earth HueyP and everyone who sack rides him would be like
eek.gif

Things just can't be that simple can it?

I agree I am sick of people pulling the race card every chance they get.  I thought the movie was racist against native americans. I thought the avatars represented black people.  I thought it was racist against hippies they portrayed the avatars as passive tree huggers.  I thought the movie was racist against americans saying we are going to destroy the earth in the future.  I thought the movie was way too pro-environmental.  I thought the movie was pro revolution and pro "fight back" it should have been more passive.

Is there anything else people would like to complain about.  It couldn't have offended that many people it made the most money then any movie ever did....EVER

i didnt read the article because of the spoilers, but my first initial reaction was:

when this stops
MADEA1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom