Which 4 Asian Tigers (Cities) would be the best to live?

Originally Posted by yayer

ok **+% a skyline determining the best place to live
grin.gif

u guys are delusional about Seoul or just going by your friend's 6 month experience teaching english there
(who also has the wisdom of a 13year old)

This was taken from another forum..
Assessment of Seoul:
Cons:
- Architecture - absolutely awful, commercial and residential alike, for everyone from the top to the bottom of society. The basic principles of architecture are ignored - no quality, no commodity, no firmness, no delight
- Cost of living - real estate, food and drink, entertainment, personal effects, safety, etc - insanely high. Intrinsic or stated quality, toe to toe, more expensive than NYC, more expensive than Tokyo, more expensive than London.
- Food - 20 million people that know nothing about food, with a country that doesn't produce anything good domestically, and won't import anything due to xenophobia. Get used to weird substitutions on normal foods, get used to everything tasting awful, get used to insanely expensive meals. Expectations of hygiene and for things to be appetizing really need to be curbed, and replaced with very primal slop that is formulaic and represents cooking techniques made several hundred years ago, only due to the lack of refrigeration and limited resources in the 18th century.
- Drink - the local drug - anything imported is expensive and used as a status symbol, rather than for enjoyment
-Cleanliness - Seoul is filthy, smog is heavy and yellows the skies, trash litters the streets, people spit often, communicable diseases are easily transmitted, many areas smell like open sewers and rancid urine
- Culture - awful. Nobody has any inkling about the currency of 'cool' and nobody really knows anything about anything. The internet has helped alot, but there's still so far to go. Most popular culture is cringeworthy and embarassing if you figure out what is going on. On the other side of things, what it means to be Korean, to live in Seoul, to be a Seoulite - that is all losing a lot of the meaning it ever had.
- Local politics - awful
- People are impolite, and you see people fighting in the streets very often.
- Traffic is terrible, drivers are terrible and unsafe, gridlock and accidents all the time
- etc, etc, etc,

Pros:
-a lot of good looking girls lately (but a shocking number of women involved in prostitution, as well)
-it's pretty easy to impress people here, a lot of people fake it and make it to the top, with things like blogs, being white, etc.
- 24 hr convenience and freedom in some aspects

Originally Posted by yayer

ok **+% a skyline determining the best place to live
grin.gif

u guys are delusional about Seoul or just going by your friend's 6 month experience teaching english there
(who also has the wisdom of a 13year old)

This was taken from another forum..
Assessment of Seoul:
Cons:
- Architecture - absolutely awful, commercial and residential alike, for everyone from the top to the bottom of society. The basic principles of architecture are ignored - no quality, no commodity, no firmness, no delight
- Cost of living - real estate, food and drink, entertainment, personal effects, safety, etc - insanely high. Intrinsic or stated quality, toe to toe, more expensive than NYC, more expensive than Tokyo, more expensive than London.
- Food - 20 million people that know nothing about food, with a country that doesn't produce anything good domestically, and won't import anything due to xenophobia. Get used to weird substitutions on normal foods, get used to everything tasting awful, get used to insanely expensive meals. Expectations of hygiene and for things to be appetizing really need to be curbed, and replaced with very primal slop that is formulaic and represents cooking techniques made several hundred years ago, only due to the lack of refrigeration and limited resources in the 18th century.
- Drink - the local drug - anything imported is expensive and used as a status symbol, rather than for enjoyment
-Cleanliness - Seoul is filthy, smog is heavy and yellows the skies, trash litters the streets, people spit often, communicable diseases are easily transmitted, many areas smell like open sewers and rancid urine
- Culture - awful. Nobody has any inkling about the currency of 'cool' and nobody really knows anything about anything. The internet has helped alot, but there's still so far to go. Most popular culture is cringeworthy and embarassing if you figure out what is going on. On the other side of things, what it means to be Korean, to live in Seoul, to be a Seoulite - that is all losing a lot of the meaning it ever had.
- Local politics - awful
- People are impolite, and you see people fighting in the streets very often.
- Traffic is terrible, drivers are terrible and unsafe, gridlock and accidents all the time
- etc, etc, etc,

Pros:
-a lot of good looking girls lately (but a shocking number of women involved in prostitution, as well)
-it's pretty easy to impress people here, a lot of people fake it and make it to the top, with things like blogs, being white, etc.
- 24 hr convenience and freedom in some aspects

Originally Posted by jumpmankb

Originally Posted by fishinthesky

i miss hk..
The ONLY thing I don't like about HK is the heat and humidity. I was miserable until November (maybe some of October was good). That's why I plan to go back during December and January
pimp.gif
wait isnt summer in december/january? or is it just hot but not as humid then

i miss hk..
The ONLY thing I don't like about HK is the heat and humidity. I was miserable until November (maybe some of October was good). That's why I plan to go back during December and January
pimp.gif

I left out Tokyo because I do not know the language. Singapore, Taiwan, HK speak Chinese which I know Canto and Mandarin. In Seoul I have quite a few friends there already so they can show me the ropes and I plan to study Korean after high school. I'd be nice to get a crib on Victoria Peak overlooking the city
smile.gif

I left out Tokyo because I do not know the language. Singapore, Taiwan, HK speak Chinese which I know Canto and Mandarin. In Seoul I have quite a few friends there already so they can show me the ropes and I plan to study Korean after high school. I'd be nice to get a crib on Victoria Peak overlooking the city
smile.gif

You simply can not go wrong with Taipei. I wanna go back there and just live there for a few years... Chill place, convenient, cheap, dope stores, girls, clubs, you name it 
pimp.gif

Tokyo is also up there... Words cannot express how good the food is there. Everyone is so damn nice there.. And it's definitely one of the most cleanest Asian cities I've ever been to.

You simply can not go wrong with Taipei. I wanna go back there and just live there for a few years... Chill place, convenient, cheap, dope stores, girls, clubs, you name it 
pimp.gif

Tokyo is also up there... Words cannot express how good the food is there. Everyone is so damn nice there.. And it's definitely one of the most cleanest Asian cities I've ever been to.

Originally Posted by JOE CAMEL SMOOTH

i miss hk..
pimp.gif

I think it's summer time right now for them. It was quite hot when i was over there this past weekend, but it rained quite a bit too. Humid. I definitely love Hong Kong in December. And it's only 1h40m away.
pimp.gif
To the guy asking why Tokyo isn't there... I'm not sure if you can still call Tokyo a tiger city. It's already up at the top, in terms of cost of living in the world, isn't it?

i miss hk..
pimp.gif

I think it's summer time right now for them. It was quite hot when i was over there this past weekend, but it rained quite a bit too. Humid. I definitely love Hong Kong in December. And it's only 1h40m away.
pimp.gif
To the guy asking why Tokyo isn't there... I'm not sure if you can still call Tokyo a tiger city. It's already up at the top, in terms of cost of living in the world, isn't it?

i miss hk..
pimp.gif
Nope... our summers are the same as it is for you guys.  The heat/humidity starts in May and goes till Oct/Nov.  It's around 32C right now with a humidity of around 80-90%.  It's warm/hot right now, but it's the humidity that's the killer.  I was drenched after standing outside for 10mins.  In July/Aug, it can get up to 35C with 90% humidity. 
sick.gif

Winters are pretty decent, which is late-Nov till March.  Lows of around 10-12C, and sometimes single digits.  Much dryer than the summers.  Though I have to say, winters aren't as cold as it was when I was a kid back in the 80's.  Global warming. 
frown.gif

Language-wise, you can pretty much get by with just English in HK and Singapore.  I'm not sure if that's the case for Taiwan or SK.  The handful of times I visited Japan, I struggled with just English.  

Back
Top Bottom