White Cement IVs featured in Do The Right Thing. SAMPLES?? also an extra question....

Yeah I remeber getting my first pair of Js, Bordeaux VIIs that my mom bought for me at JC Pennys because she thought the VIs looked wierd with the ankle bumps. I wanted the VIs casue another kid in school had em and the bordeauxs just happened to be released that day, Thats what started it for me and I also remember getting my concords at Pennys and it was weeks after they were out. It never used to be tough to get about anything you wanted because as was mentioned everyone used to carry Jordans it seemed! Also the only way to see what the next Jordan was gonna look like was by the store managers pulling out a flip catalog and showing you some drawing. I loved those times!

I bought bordeaux VIIs, Black and Red VIIs, Aqua VIIIs, Taxi IXs, Concords, Breds, Flint XIIIs and lots of XIVs and never heard of a line forming anywhere! If only i had em all now instead of beating them to death, mowing the lawn in last years models and then throwing them away or making stupid trades like trading my concords and breds for a new pair of XVs! I still hate myself for tha stupid move...

I bought bordeaux VIIs, Black and Red VIIs, Aqua VIIIs, Taxi IXs, Concords, Breds, Flint XIIIs and lots of XIVs and never heard of a line forming anywhere! If only i had em all now instead of beating them to death, mowing the lawn in last years models and then throwing them away or making stupid trades like trading my concords and breds for a new pair of XVs! I still hate myself for tha stupid move...

Originally Posted by xfile 11

The first Jordans I remember being hard to get were the XI's.  Some people will argue this but it depends on where you were.  I lived in Michigan at the time and there were non to be found, brother scooped me a pair in Chicago but that was on release date.

Most models and colors before that could be found on shelves throughout the year as most have said above.

We had nicknames around my way.

First I remember were the 4's.  Like dude above said, ones with the wings. 5's were the reflector tongues, 6's were the pull tongues, 7's were the bugs bunnies, 8's carpet tongues.

More specifically for me was the black red XI's.  First jordan where availability rather than lack of funds (under 16 at time) was the problem.  I actually tried on the concords and thought they looked like rain shoes.  When I finally decided I wanted them right before christmas we couldnt find my size.  I had the black cement 3's in 8th grade when they retroed but honestly most people didnt care much for the retro stylings and there was no way Id want to show up for the first day of school with the old Jordans on as a kid.

The first Jordans I remember being hard to get were the XI's.  Some people will argue this but it depends on where you were.  I lived in Michigan at the time and there were non to be found, brother scooped me a pair in Chicago but that was on release date.

Most models and colors before that could be found on shelves throughout the year as most have said above.

First I remember were the 4's.  Like dude above said, ones with the wings. 5's were the reflector tongues, 6's were the pull tongues, 7's were the bugs bunnies, 8's carpet tongues.

More specifically for me was the black red XI's.  First jordan where availability rather than lack of funds (under 16 at time) was the problem.  I actually tried on the concords and thought they looked like rain shoes.  When I finally decided I wanted them right before christmas we couldnt find my size.  I had the black cement 3's in 8th grade when they retroed but honestly most people didnt care much for the retro stylings and there was no way Id want to show up for the first day of school with the old Jordans on as a kid.

Originally Posted by Vitoman

30t6p3b.gif
Concords/Bred 11's for some 15's!!??
sick.gif
30t6p3b.gif
That's like trading 2 Bently's for a Ford Pinto!
15u2ds.jpg
Even trade?
16izcq8.jpg

Man, I bet you can't sleep at night since then, huh?
wink.gif

30t6p3b.gif
sick.gif
30t6p3b.gif
15u2ds.jpg
Even trade?
16izcq8.jpg

wink.gif

Originally Posted by babyJs23

30t6p3b.gif
sick.gif
30t6p3b.gif
15u2ds.jpg
Even trade?
16izcq8.jpg

wink.gif

^
roll.gif

Originally Posted by babyJs23

30t6p3b.gif
sick.gif
30t6p3b.gif
15u2ds.jpg
Even trade?
16izcq8.jpg

wink.gif

^
roll.gif

Originally Posted by jerrypharmd

I was about to say the same thing on the black/red XIs.  The concords sat around a bit.  Believe it or not, despite being considered one of, if not THE most popular model of AJs today, they didn't exactly get rave reviews upon original release.  I heard everything from the above mentioned rain shoes, to cop shoes.  However, the black/reds were much more popular, probably because of the solid black color rather than the big white/black contrast, making the patent leather a bit easier to accept.  Unfortunately, they were my first taste of not being able to just waltz into any store and buy a pair of AJs.

I remember going into World Footlocker in the Fox Valley Mall the day after they released, and being told they sold out.  I was like "......come again??"  Every store in the mall was out, and the employee told me the ONLY store getting a restock would be World Footlocker on Wednesday (yes, I still remember the day of the week).  I stood there in amazement, and then eventually asked what time they were opening, which was 8 AM.  I was there bright and early, and to my surprise......so were a bunch of people.  You have to remember how bizzare this seemed.  This was unheard of at the time.  I stood there, waiting for the doors to open, and when they did, a bunch of people who got there after me flooded the doors.  The employees yelled at everyone to get out, and form 2 single file lines starting right about where I was standing, so I ended up going from thinking "son of a &$%^#, I'm screwed!!!" to being 3rd in line.
happy.gif
  Got my pair, and drove home grinning like a 10 year old being told it was a snow day.

Despite my joy, I was still baffled by what the hell had just transpired.  Sold out on RD??  Only one shipment for every store except Footlocker (who had a very good relationship with JB at the time)???  Who knew that would be a sign of things to come, and was actually a breeze compared to how hard it would be to get some other releases years down the road.

Originally Posted by jerrypharmd

I was about to say the same thing on the black/red XIs.  The concords sat around a bit.  Believe it or not, despite being considered one of, if not THE most popular model of AJs today, they didn't exactly get rave reviews upon original release.  I heard everything from the above mentioned rain shoes, to cop shoes.  However, the black/reds were much more popular, probably because of the solid black color rather than the big white/black contrast, making the patent leather a bit easier to accept.  Unfortunately, they were my first taste of not being able to just waltz into any store and buy a pair of AJs.

I remember going into World Footlocker in the Fox Valley Mall the day after they released, and being told they sold out.  I was like "......come again??"  Every store in the mall was out, and the employee told me the ONLY store getting a restock would be World Footlocker on Wednesday (yes, I still remember the day of the week).  I stood there in amazement, and then eventually asked what time they were opening, which was 8 AM.  I was there bright and early, and to my surprise......so were a bunch of people.  You have to remember how bizzare this seemed.  This was unheard of at the time.  I stood there, waiting for the doors to open, and when they did, a bunch of people who got there after me flooded the doors.  The employees yelled at everyone to get out, and form 2 single file lines starting right about where I was standing, so I ended up going from thinking "son of a &$%^#, I'm screwed!!!" to being 3rd in line.
happy.gif
  Got my pair, and drove home grinning like a 10 year old being told it was a snow day.

Despite my joy, I was still baffled by what the hell had just transpired.  Sold out on RD??  Only one shipment for every store except Footlocker (who had a very good relationship with JB at the time)???  Who knew that would be a sign of things to come, and was actually a breeze compared to how hard it would be to get some other releases years down the road.

Back in the day Jordans used to sit all year long like any other high priced general release signature shoe. I don't remember having old Jordans when the new ones were out as a bad thing. Alot guys said they got Jordans on deep discount like 50-80 dollars, I don't know...... It seemed Jordans were never discounted but if they were it was only to like 100 dollars. Most of the time you were faced with a dilemma of getting new Barkleys, Pennys, Pippens, Webbers, Deions or whatever vs getting the ugliest color of last year Jordan( like maybe the 8s, 9s or 10s.) So you choose the new shoe.  From what I remember models 3-7 were hugely popular and everywhere. But the 8 wasn't that popular at my school, people were more into Barkleys or any new Nike signature shoes. The 9 and 10 definitely weren't popular and flopped and I think that part of the reason why the Jordan 11 seemed like it was the first Jordan that wasn't readily available everywhere because by that time I could save enough to buy shoes and I wanted them but I never saw them at least not in a colorway I liked.

Back in the day Jordans used to sit all year long like any other high priced general release signature shoe. I don't remember having old Jordans when the new ones were out as a bad thing. Alot guys said they got Jordans on deep discount like 50-80 dollars, I don't know...... It seemed Jordans were never discounted but if they were it was only to like 100 dollars. Most of the time you were faced with a dilemma of getting new Barkleys, Pennys, Pippens, Webbers, Deions or whatever vs getting the ugliest color of last year Jordan( like maybe the 8s, 9s or 10s.) So you choose the new shoe.  From what I remember models 3-7 were hugely popular and everywhere. But the 8 wasn't that popular at my school, people were more into Barkleys or any new Nike signature shoes. The 9 and 10 definitely weren't popular and flopped and I think that part of the reason why the Jordan 11 seemed like it was the first Jordan that wasn't readily available everywhere because by that time I could save enough to buy shoes and I wanted them but I never saw them at least not in a colorway I liked.

I still remember the ONLY pair of Jordans that I ever got as a kid were from Nordstroms. My mom was  always deep in the shopping game which meant I wore mad clothes as a kid that I HATED that I would Kill for now. Anyways....one day I was in the kids department and I saw the taxi's I believe '97? I don't remember the price but it had to be less than 50, they were on clearence I believe.

I still remember the ONLY pair of Jordans that I ever got as a kid were from Nordstroms. My mom was  always deep in the shopping game which meant I wore mad clothes as a kid that I HATED that I would Kill for now. Anyways....one day I was in the kids department and I saw the taxi's I believe '97? I don't remember the price but it had to be less than 50, they were on clearence I believe.

The taxi's were the first shoe that I actually knew the release date for. I skipped school and my aunt drove me and hours to Cary, NC to be there when the store opened even though I had no clue what they looked like. I could kinda make them out in one picture from SI but that was about it. When I got to school with them on of course everyone was hating. I finally got my black red 11's in 2001 at footaction as a college student. I showed up at opening and there was like 1 other person there. What made it cool was it Wilmington, NC and the wizards had had training camp there that year. So when Im going to PE i see Jordan's rover chilling by the steps definitely not legally parked. O memories

The taxi's were the first shoe that I actually knew the release date for. I skipped school and my aunt drove me and hours to Cary, NC to be there when the store opened even though I had no clue what they looked like. I could kinda make them out in one picture from SI but that was about it. When I got to school with them on of course everyone was hating. I finally got my black red 11's in 2001 at footaction as a college student. I showed up at opening and there was like 1 other person there. What made it cool was it Wilmington, NC and the wizards had had training camp there that year. So when Im going to PE i see Jordan's rover chilling by the steps definitely not legally parked. O memories

Back
Top Bottom